Home Cigar 101
Options

Can't find that loving feeling anymore

variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
I'm new to cigars and tried various sticks from samplers. One night I had a Joya de Nic Antanos 70 Consul and immediately loved everything about it: aroma, taste, size... I didn't want to put the damn thing down!

I ordered a couple of 5 packs the next day and after smoking 2 of them... well... I haven't had that same experience. The taste and aroma are not on par as that one night. So, I'm wondering if anyone can chime in and tell me what factors can influence the taste and aroma of a cigar?

The differences that I can supply is rest period and weather. The original stick rested about 2 months and I believe it was around 65-70 deg outside. The last two sticks were about 2 weeks in the humi and the weather was much cooler (35 to 45 deg). Oh, I also went from snipping the head to using a punch. Draw seems consistent.

So, I need tap your experience brains to help me find how I can get that awesome experience once again out if this cigar. My newbie guess would be to let them rest for while but what do I know?

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Age and storage matter a lot. I have had the EXACT same experience, with a Padron 64.Had a killer one...and the next few were just "good".
  • Options
    Rain:
    Age and storage matter a lot. I have had the EXACT same experience, with a Padron 64.Had a killer one...and the next few were just "good".
    Age ... Check!
    Storage... are we talking just about relative humidity or also any influence in the surrounding? I'm using a coolerdor w/no cedar lining.

Thanks for chiming in.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I agree that extra time in the humi always helps… and sometimes the planets align, the evening is perfect, the company is perfect, the music amazing and the cocktail pairs nicely as well. It reminds me of the bottle of wine we brought home after loving it in Italy… back home it just tasted "okay" but on that wonderful patio restaurant in Orvieto it was nothing short of amazing.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I mean, I don't think you can put an exact value on it. Also, I'm not a scientist haha.However, let's say you stored one Gurkha at 70% and one at 60%. ARE they going to taste different? Probably....maybe? Also, What if one Gurkha is resting near maduros and one near cameroons? Might change the flavor, might not.In my case, I'm pretty sure that Padron I smoked had some serious age on it.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    This is something that happens and I can't tell you how many times it has during my 40 years of smoking cigars. The first thing one wants to do is ensure that your cigars are well taken care of...RH and rest are prime things that we need to ensure our cigars have. Stable environment....don't let your cigars yo yo up and down as far as RH and temps. Next, is sometimes our own diet may be the culprit...spicy foods, changes in medication, a cold coming on, etc. Most of our taste comes from the membranes...olfactory sense so if there is the slightest changes when it comes to this our taste will be off. Sometimes we just need a week off as we can experience tongue burn like those who will smoke pipes. If we smoke our cigars in a hurry it will desensitize our taste buds by "burning" them and it takes awhile to bring them back.
  • Options
    Rain:
    I mean, I don't think you can put an exact value on it. Also, I'm not a scientist haha.
    WTF! I was counting on you to be some type of cigar astrophysicist or something...

So age it is. Gonna let the sticks hibernate for the winter.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Rh plays a huge role into taste! If you feel the flavors were muted a bit it was probably too wet. Rule of thumb IMO is wait at least 3 weeks before you even try one
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Cigary:
    This is something that happens and I can't tell you how many times it has during my 40 years of smoking cigars. The first thing one wants to do is ensure that your cigars are well taken care of...RH and rest are prime things that we need to ensure our cigars have. Stable environment....don't let your cigars yo yo up and down as far as RH and temps. Next, is sometimes our own diet may be the culprit...spicy foods, changes in medication, a cold coming on, etc. Most of our taste comes from the membranes...olfactory sense so if there is the slightest changes when it comes to this our taste will be off. Sometimes we just need a week off as we can experience tongue burn like those who will smoke pipes. If we smoke our cigars in a hurry it will desensitize our taste buds by "burning" them and it takes awhile to bring them back.
    If I knew beforehand that cigars are so finicky, I would have chosen chewing gum. But now I'm hooked on these sticks and need to develop a system for consistency -- if that exists.

Thanks for input.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    PAtoNH:
    I agree that extra time in the humi always helps… and sometimes the planets align, the evening is perfect, the company is perfect, the music amazing and the cocktail pairs nicely as well. It reminds me of the bottle of wine we brought home after loving it in Italy… back home it just tasted "okay" but on that wonderful patio restaurant in Orvieto it was nothing short of amazing.
    I know that feeling very, very well!

Lee.mcglynn:
    Rh plays a huge role into taste! If you feel the flavors were muted a bit it was probably too wet. Rule of thumb IMO is wait at least 3 weeks before you even try one
    I dropped the RH in my coolerdor down to about 67% about 5 days ago. Once the sticks age for while, I'm going to take another stab at the JdNs if the weather permits it.

Thanks for the replies.
    Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    variant2:
    Cigary:
    If I knew beforehand that cigars are so finicky, I would have chosen chewing gum. But now I'm hooked on these sticks and need to develop a system for consistency -- if that exists.

Thanks for input.

Lol....it only seems like they are finicky rolled up futhermuckers. Actually, once you have gotten your RH where you want it...all the hard work is done and the rest of your time is spent in tobacco heaven. Choose your humidity media that is easy for you...I use kitty litter and don't ever worry about RH...it's pegged at 67%. Just try to rest any cigar you smoke for around a month...if you can as that helps in maintaining a cigar that is at the RH you like them at.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Cigary is right. Our bodies have to be receptive for the experience to be exceptional. Sometimes you have this awesome experience with this cigar and you buy more and you may even wait patiently enough but then you light up the next one, you've lost that lovin' feelin'. I've come to believe it takes some unknown aspects to be in balance for a cigar to seem "special". And I'm not gonna try too hard either. I'm just gonna enjoy it when it does happen. What am I talkin' about? Cigars or women?
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Situations like this is precisely why I buy two cigars when I try something before I go deep. I cannot tell you how many times I have had an amazing experience, bought a ton of cigars, then realized it was the experience, not the cigar. It could be the meal, the friends, the night, the drinks, whatever... It happens. I will tell you age does affect this as well, and many times I have bought cigars I am familiar with, they smoked bad, aged them 90 days, and then they were what I remembered. Sometimes it takes 6 months or a year, and it seems the longer I smoke the more accurately I can judge the need for age of my favorite smokes.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi has some posts on rituals and behaviors he does do keep consistent, especially for reviews IIRC. A couple things I remember and try to keep in mind are citrus enhancing flavors, so drink water with citrus in it before and/or during and developing a puffing style so that stays consistent. Oh, and rotating. In the humidor, during the light, and while smoking.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Watch out for what you eat and drink before and during your smoke. This can change the flavor of your smoke tremendously.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Kuzi has some posts on rituals and behaviors he does do keep consistent, especially for reviews IIRC. A couple things I remember and try to keep in mind are citrus enhancing flavors, so drink water with citrus in it before and/or during and developing a puffing style so that stays consistent. Oh, and rotating. In the humidor, during the light, and while smoking.
    citrus is well before smoking. this is all due to PH. cigar smoke is alkaline so an acidic drink during should do well but citrus flavors during a cigar tend to mess with ya. ill have OJ just before stepping out the door to the B&M.

another thing that i tend to do that will help you is make sure the first thing you do in the morning is brush your teeth. dont eat first. dont shower. dont do anything. wake up and brush em. im not sure why but if i dont do this my palate is messed up all day.

if your cigar tastes off after you have lit it, grab a cup of coffee. the acidity in that may help. if that does not help your mouth may be TOO acidic. in that case get some water or milk.

your mood may play in to it as well. sometims you just dont have a taste for something.

one last thing that may impact your experience. Hydration. not so much of the cigar, though that is important, but of your body. stay well hydrated. your body functions better when you are hydrated and you will produce more saliva. saliva actually helps you taste.

hope that helps.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:
    citrus is well before smoking. this is all due to PH. cigar smoke is alkaline so an acidic drink during should do well but citrus flavors during a cigar tend to mess with ya. ill have OJ just before stepping out the door to the B&M.

another thing that i tend to do that will help you is make sure the first thing you do in the morning is brush your teeth. dont eat first. dont shower. dont do anything. wake up and brush em. im not sure why but if i dont do this my palate is messed up all day.

if your cigar tastes off after you have lit it, grab a cup of coffee. the acidity in that may help. if that does not help your mouth may be TOO acidic. in that case get some water or milk.

your mood may play in to it as well. sometims you just dont have a taste for something.

one last thing that may impact your experience. Hydration. not so much of the cigar, though that is important, but of your body. stay well hydrated. your body functions better when you are hydrated and you will produce more saliva. saliva actually helps you taste.

hope that helps.
    Wow! I feel that I may need to put together a pre-light check list before I can enjoy my next cigar.

90% of the time! I couple my cigars with red Sangria which I've noticed helps balancing the taste of most sticks. I tried sodas and beers but the carbonation feels like it spoils the experience. Never thought of getting over acidic so I'll try water when needed but I don't think I will enjoy milk though. Keeping the body hydrated is a very good point you made which I overlooked and believe that it could be a factor in the winter.

Thanks again to all the BOTL's suggestions.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:

hope that helps.
    I'm with you on milk, but isn't water slightly acidic? Maybe not drinking water though. I gotta up my game after this post though, that's for sure.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    Ken Light:

hope that helps.
    I'm with you on milk, but isn't water slightly acidic? Maybe not drinking water though. I gotta up my game after this post though, that's for sure.
    water is neutral. brings you back to where you "should" be as far as PH goes.

i personally find that it doesnt do enough. i just drink it for the hydration.
  • Options
    I had dinner last night with a good friend of mine who is moving back to Canada today. He said the Oktoberfests I gave him were the best cigars he's had, so I brought some more along last night for his finale.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    variant2:
    I'm new to cigars and tried various sticks from samplers. One night I had a Joya de Nic Antanos 70 Consul and immediately loved everything about it: aroma, taste, size... I didn't want to put the damn thing down!

I ordered a couple of 5 packs the next day and after smoking 2 of them... well... I haven't had that same experience. The taste and aroma are not on par as that one night. So, I'm wondering if anyone can chime in and tell me what factors can influence the taste and aroma of a cigar?

Weather and all that aside, I can tell you I had the exact same experience. The Antonos were one of the first cigars I tried after getting a sampler variety 10-pack. It was the first cigar that totally blew me away. Strong, flavorful, spicy--it totally turned me on to cigars in ways that the others I had tried before didn't at all.

Then I bought a fiver of 'em. Didn't store 'em that long. Tried one and it was a competely different experience--it was okay, but lacked the overall "amazingness" of the first one. My smoking conditions were no different--warm day, I had nothing really to eat or drink before hand. Same time of day. So, I think there can be very huge differences from cigar to cigar. What I will say is that if I don't like a cigar the first time, I have never liked it the second time.