Home Cigar 101
Options

Sleeves yes or no

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
Well the cello subject has been brought up time and time again but what about the cedar sleeves?? I know some take them off due too mold and some leave them on. What's your take on things??
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I always leave the cedar on. Never had a mold issue (knock cedar).
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I haven't had many sticks that have had the cedar on them, but those that do or had them on, I left them on. I never had any issue with mold or burn issues.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I take that crap off... No need, and I swear I have aged cigars with them and it gets to be too much cedar in the profile. I keep my rh low, and have still seen mold show up with cedar, tubes, paper, etc...
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    I take that crap off... No need, and I swear I have aged cigars with them and it gets to be too much cedar in the profile. I keep my rh low, and have still seen mold show up with cedar, tubes, paper, etc...
    Dustin, what kind of time frames are you talking about? If I have a box of cedar wrapped I generally finish them in 18 months. Same with paper wrappers (like El Rey del Mundo Oscuro). I guess I have no real experience with +2 years of aging.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    PAtoNH:
    catfishbluezz:
    Dustin, what kind of time frames are you talking about? If I have a box of cedar wrapped I generally finish them in 18 months. Same with paper wrappers (like El Rey del Mundo Oscuro). I guess I have no real experience with +2 years of aging.
    anywhere from 2 months to two years. IMO, sleeves are mold magnets. Only time I've ever seen mold is cedar or paper sleeves in my humis, and I am a sticker at 63-65rh max.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I take them off, especially the Fuentes which I believe gets mold more than other brands. I never thought about the cedar altering the flavor due to aging. Good point.
    http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/363021.aspx
  • Options
    Do you take the cedar off right away or leave it on for some period beforehand? I have to admit that the cedar/mold/flavor never really crossed my mind either. (insert mind blowing emoticon here).
  • Options
    AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    I take it off right away.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Cedar sleeves are kind of a gimmick...I just take em off and use large cedar sheets instead so I can get that transfer of cedar to all of my cigars in my humidor...esp. the tupperadors.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    take it off Lee. TAKE IT OFF LEE. ooo la la. no really though, take them off
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Due to my name, I feel obligated to leave them on.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    LOL How'd you get that moniker? Sleeve Please?
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    SleevePlz:
    Hey man, use the search function!!! Lol, I used to go through the T-Ho's drive through every morning for coffee. Everyday, I would be given my steaming hot coffee without a sleeve on the cup. So everyday I would have to ask for a sleeve please. I commented to someone how ridiculous it was that I had to ask to not burn my hand everyday (the cup was really hot and I was always carrying something into work so I couldn't switch hands). Shortly after that, I had to come up with a name for online poker and went with SleevePlz.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Well I went and took them off...no mold thank god
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    no d!ck cheese? thats good to hear
  • Options
    jliu:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    no my girl gets that...did you want some?? I do love a good snoob
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    what just happened in this conversation? I dont understand.
  • Options
    jliu:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    when roomy is not in the mood you can cuddle with me cuddle monkey
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Bob Luken:
    SleevePlz:
    Hey man, use the search function!!! Lol, I used to go through the T-Ho's drive through every morning for coffee. Everyday, I would be given my steaming hot coffee without a sleeve on the cup. So everyday I would have to ask for a sleeve please. I commented to someone how ridiculous it was that I had to ask to not burn my hand everyday (the cup was really hot and I was always carrying something into work so I couldn't switch hands). Shortly after that, I had to come up with a name for online poker and went with SleevePlz.
    OK smartypants. I searched "Sleeve please" and this thread came up first followed by a bunch with you in them but no explaination for your handle. But hey, I like the sleve story though :)
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    jliu:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    when roomy is not in the mood you can cuddle with me cuddle monkey
    alright alright. giggity giggity.