Home Cigar 101
Options

Have you ever done this

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
Have you ever taken all your hygrometers and put them in the same cooler or humidor overnight just to see how close they are? Were you happy or sad with the results?

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Actually, I just did this. While the one I trust most reads 71, one recorded 78 one 70 and one 62. But I knew the 62 was off by ten, piece of crap. The 78 was the dial hygrometer that comes with humidors. I don't even place it in any humidors. So I had to make notes to keep my sticks in proper condition.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Been doing this for a few years as I thought doing them individually took too long...I have 25 hygros. I put all of them into the big ziploc bag and every single one except for 2 are right on...the others are about 2% off and I have them marked as such.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. There is always a difference between the analog and digital.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I really just use the hygo for temp
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Yup...and that's why I only use the Xikar now. All the Xikar were spot on, the rest not so much... I have recalibrated as well, and they just stay solid.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you had any experience with the "new" xikars? They say they've done away with the "reset to 75% button". No calibration allowed. Just doesn't seem right to me.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found a very high tech hygrometer. Been meaning to give it a go.
    They even give you the destructions on how to make one on their website

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Have you had any experience with the "new" xikars? They say they've done away with the "reset to 75% button". No calibration allowed. Just doesn't seem right to me.
    its freaking stooopid if you ask me. Im still pissed about my "AutoCal" ****.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I've done this and been surprised at how well my analog hygrometers have compared to my digitals. First time i did it I corrected the analog to match the digital that had been salt tested. I keep the original analog and the digital in my humidor all the time and compare the readings and find they stay close to each other. I understand that there is a wealth of knowledge that says that digital is more accurate than analog and I'm not trying to dispute that, just commenting on my experience.