Home Cigar 101
Options

Newb question... sorry if it's stupid

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Can you use a Styrofoam cooler to make a coolidor? Not talking about a cheapo, but one with thick walls and a very tight sealing lid.

It's from a recent shipment from Omaha Steaks, and its very sturdy and airtight. So... naturally, I'm looking at it and thinking, how can I put this to good use?
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    Very helpful Sam. Thanks!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    There are better things to use than a styrofoam cooler....these are just temporary things at best. You can buy a RubberMaid Tupperador for about $10 from Walmart...if you have a Big Lots then you can buy the 2.5 gallon size for about $5. Each size will hold around 20 robustos and your hygro as well and a couple of boveda paks. Put some cedar in there to regulate RH and your Tupperador will last as long as any good humidor.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good question. I just don't trust styrofoam because of the smell. Maybe if you let them air out for a long time the odors would go away but even with plastic coolers you need to wash it out with soap and water and let it air out for a few days so it doesn't smell like plastic.