Home Cigar 101
Options

What do you pair with what?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Some of you know I'm not much for alcohol, so a lot of times, I will drink Tea, Sarsaparilla or Root beer with my cigars.
On a very rare occasion, I will have a mixed drink or sipping spirits.
Anyway, a post came up that got me to thinking about this.
For example, the 5 Vegas Cask Strength is DELICIOUS with Root Beer or Sarsaparilla, to me anyways.
And it's one that I've had with all kinds of drinks paired with it.
But the Root Beer or Sarsaparilla have always stood out as being great with the Cask Strength.

Cameroons also seem to work extremely well with root beer or Sarsaparilla.

So, the question is.........What cigars do you like with specific drinks paired with it and what are the drinks?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oliva Serie V and a nice strong cup of coffee.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I'm a weirdo, but I love a Pepsi Max with most spicy sticks. Not Pepsi, not diet Pepsi. Sounds wrong on so many levels but it works for my taste buds. Ice water for most others.
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Mostly I either drink black coffee or have a bottled water.

I do enjoy a Fat Tire or Negra Modelo some evenings - usually with a (insert Hatuey's black Pepper cigar here),
    and I Love a MrPibb with there #1 Special Cognac cigar,
    and found I like a Squirt when having an Irish Whiskey cigar-it mixes well with its sour, zingy taste

my wife drinks a Diet Pepsi with all her cigars (she only smokes flavored) on a rare occasion she will have coffee with cream and sugar with a cigar
    I have never tried hard drinks with a cigar so who know down the road.
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    Although I prefer alcohol with cigars, in winter I like hot cider and in summer a tropical fruit juice blend on ice can be very refreshing. Generally, for me, there's a really fine line between what is perfect and what is too sweet to pair with a cigar… so even a splash of alcohol can tone down the sweetness. I also like coffee and tea with a cigar if I'm smoking earlier in the day or when alcohol consumption isn't appropriate.
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I have found that I pair with coffee or whiskey. Here in Ta' Town we have a local business that roasts it own coffee. This makes it easy to pair with the different roasts.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    full sugar coke.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Arizona Diet Green Tea with most any Connies or Cameroons.
  • Options
    biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    I will normally sit down with one of 3 drinks. Water, Cola, Scotch. It seems the fuller bodied smokes I need something like cola. The acidity helps my palate reset a bit and the sugar can save you from an overdose of vitamin N. Scotch I can usually drink with anything but cameroons or other more complex med bodied sticks. Subtle flavors tend to get loss on my palate after drinking scotch. I almost always have a bottle/glass of water on standby regardless of the smoke.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    A good libation can actually enhance a cigar to new heights and I have 3 that I use quite often in this order: Drambuie, Amarula and Havana Club Rum.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    glass full of Honey Jack
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Since I quit drinking I went to iced tea. Peach to be exact
  • Options
    dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    Water or whiskey, but I think I may have to try root beer now.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    glass full of Honey Jack
    Really? I like jack daniels tennessee honey but for me it was terrible with cigars. LOL
  • Options
    A lot of times just water with my cigars. Maybe coffee with a conni in the morning. Sometimes club soda with the more spicy sticks. Sometimes Jack or Gentleman Jack with certain cigars. Recently, a cigar virtually asked me itself "This water's nice but, you got any Jack?" It was the J. D. Howard Reserve.

I've been meaning to try Dr Pepper.

Beers have been hit and miss. Mostly miss.

Strangest pairing I remember enjoying was Welches red grape juice and La Perla Habana- Black Pearl- Morado.
  • Options
    Glad to hear someone else is hit an miss with beer pairings. I don't prefer beer with a cigar at any time but I have found that the hoppier the beer, the less I like it with a cigar. I like IPA and hoppy Czech beers etc. but enjoy a malty beer with a smoke more than a hoppy one. I'm looking forward to St Patty's day when we'll be seeing more red ales at the beer store since they are a favorite beer/cigar pairing for me.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    glass full of Honey Jack
    Really? I like jack daniels tennessee honey but for me it was terrible with cigars. LOL
    I have come to find that I think my taste buds are pretty shot with all the years of "testing" race fuel, antifreeze, brake fluid... have left me rather blank i think.... since i notice i really tend to favor a cigar with taste that most dont like. The more harsh sticks probably being the only thing i can taste at all. So to me, the honey jack with a nice strong cigar is like a piece of nice toffe.

Aj
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coke is great with a lot of cigars. Coffee and cream with almost any Connie is a winner. Water with lime or lemon in the summer with any kind of spicy or peppery smoke (mojitos or a corona with lime too). I love ginger ale, especially with some bourbon in there. Oh, one of my favorites in the summer is mint green tea. Very refreshing and can give your tongue a break in between puffs.

Pipes are a little different, sometimes a little bourbon. Mostly coffee or tea. Anything carbonated makes my tongue a little sensitive.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Coffee is an interesting drink with cigars. On it's own, I prefer more sugar in coffee than when paired with a cigar. When permissible, I like to have "Caff
  • Options
    Well, posting earlier in this thread of my fondness for red grape juice paired with a Black Pearl Morado got me to looking at La Perla Habana's website and guess what? They have three wines offered by the company that are named after and promoted to be specifically paired with three of their cigars. The Cobre, Rojo and Morado.

Black Pearl Morado wine
  • Options
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PAtoNH:
    When permissible, I like to have "Caff
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    BamablowsBamablows Posts: 338
    Gray4lines:
    PAtoNH:
    When permissible, I like to have "Caff
  • Options
    Hey Tyler. Good to have you around. How's Moonshine? You should post some pics.
  • Options
    Hey buddy! I will get some up in a few days, ive been lurking around but havn't really had time to post latley. Glad to see your still around as well!
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bamablows:
    Hey buddy! I will get some up in a few days, ive been lurking around but havn't really had time to post latley. Glad to see your still around as well!
    Where ya been Bama?
  • Options
    Glock1975:
    Bamablows:
    Where ya been Bama?
    In the process of moving, still trying to get school finished up. . I'm still around, keep your guard up.
  • Options
    Bamablows:
    Glock1975:
    Bamablows:
    Where ya been Bama?
    In the process of moving, still trying to get school finished up. . I'm still around, keep your guard up.
    Are you headed to Nashville?
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Bamablows:
    Glock1975:
    Bamablows:
    Where ya been Bama?
    Yep, hope to be moving in about 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bamablows:
    Bob Luken:
    Bamablows:
    Glock1975:
    Bamablows:
    Where ya been Bama?
    Not needed at all, just wondering where ya went bro. Good luck on the move, and will need that new addy.
  • Options
    Glock1975:
    Bamablows:
    Bob Luken:
    Bamablows:
    Glock1975:
    Bamablows:
    Where ya been Bama?
    Not needed at all, just wondering where ya went bro. Good luck on the move, and will need that new addy.
    Oh you will be the first to see it on a return address my long losts friend, Ray.