Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Shaving...

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
AG03 and i were hanging out today (as we usually do at least once every couple weeks) and we were discussing shaving! He is working on restoring a straight razor and regularly shaves with a double edge safety razor. I have been using a mach 5 gillette razor (when i shave... which is rarely lol) and am thinking about jumping into the finer shaves of life.

So here is my question for you blokes... what do you use to shave and what are your personal thoughts and preference?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Mach 5.Shaving is lame. They had beards in the Civil War, so give me a break. As Hays says..."There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless — boys and women — and I am neither one."
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I would grow a beard but i have quite a few bald patches. lol
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I have a Merkur 34c safety razor that iv used for about a year. I love it. And it helps with the ingrown hairs also. I use shaving soap and a badger hair brush.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Mach 5.Shaving is lame. They had beards in the Civil War, so give me a break. As Hays says..."There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless — boys and women — and I am neither one."
    Uhm. Evidently, he never had a run in with an American Indian.
    I'm native american, so growing a beard for me is next to impossible.
    I can get a "goatee" to grow, but it is so thin and scraggly that I pretty much stick to only have a mustache.
    No hair grows on my face other than my upper lip and chin.
    My wife gave me a bad time, because after my sister passed away, I refused to shave. It wasn't pretty. LOL!
    I finally shaved it off, but it gave me a full understanding of how I'm never going to be able to grow a beard.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I don't shave unless I am going to a wedding or funeral... and those had better be special event. Then it is a process... clippers then a straight razor two days out. Rinse repeat for next two days. But my mustache and goatee stay.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    What ever is on sale and kershaw lol but I barely have too shave
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I converted from cartridges to double-edge razor blades 7 or 8 years ago. People say they do it because it give you a much closer shave than any cartridge (absolutely true, and it can cut you shreds much easier as well if you're not careful) and because it's cheaper (5-25 cents a blade, each of which gives up to 6 shaves that are far closer than anything you can get with a cartridge). But since you're a man, you need to have several different brands, including those rare European and Japanese brands that cost up to 75 cents a blade or more.

In reality, double-edge shaving can become an increasing *AD hobby. A quality double-edge razor starts between $30-$100+ (but it will last forever). However, most men quickly get sucked into paying for too much for old Gillette double-edge razors from the 1940s, 50s and 60s. You can pay hundreds for the more rare models, although the going rate is usually between $25-$75, depending on the model. And since you're a man, you can't have just one.

Then, of course, you need to use shaving brushes. Depending on whether it's badger or boar hair, and the brand, these can go from $10-$200. And since you're a man, you can't have just one.

Then there's shaving soap. You wouldn't dream of being the cheap Williams stuff you see at your local CVS. No sir. You look for all kinds of tooty footy soaps that go from $10-$100. And since you're a man, you can't have just one, no sir.

Then you need to find a stand for your razor and brush. These'll go from $20-$90. And since you have 6 razors and 5 brushes, you'll need several of these.

Did I forget after shave? You can't just use the pharmacy green stuff. You have to get footy stuff from Paris that goes for $25.

So when you're all said and done, you've spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars for something that was supposed to lower the cost of shaving. I don't even want to guess how much I've blown on this--I can tell you it makes my spend on cigars and cigar accessories seem like pocket change. :)

If you do choose to go DE, and you don't want to go to the poorhouse, avoid at all costs certain shaving forum sites consisting of shaving enablers who are far more insidious than any cigar pusher could ever be. :)
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    I used to use that dollarshaveclub stuff because it is way cheaper than gillette but I recently switched to a gillette travel safety razor. Waaaaaay cheaper and it makes for a very close shave.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I have given up shaving completely. The wife told me to go complete "Duck Commander".
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Im with a lot here, I keep my bear trimmed with the trimmer because then I dont really have to shave and its not at the point where its hot or itchy-----just the way my mother does it

When I do shave, Ive seen all the fancy stuff but cant believe anything could be a Mach 3 or Mach 5.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I tried a DE razor for a while but gave up after a few months. It would give a good shave, but it was harder and more time consuming getting that closeness with a DE than a cartridge. I just don't care for shaving and want it to be over asap so I went back to the cartridge.
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    I use what ever the wife buys for me, to keep me from using "her" razorsbut, right now I'm on a shaving hiatus
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    mach 5 for years now....
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    For the past 4 years or so, I've used a higher end Panasonic electric. Recently, I joined that dollar shave a month club for men. Or whatever it's called. Liked his commercials so much figured I'd give him a chance. Don't like the humble twin, so I'm moving up to the next level for the next shipment.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Shaving? What is this shaving you speak of?
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I shave with a mid 1930's Gillette NEW ball-end. this razor is aggressive enough that i can get a very smooth shave but not so aggressive that i am pulling my face off with the hair.

i use Feather brand blades. these are regarded as some of the sharpest on the market. they are also some of the more expensive. (about $0.50 each). I need the "extra sharp" blades because i seem to have barbed wire growing out of my face and all other blades i have tried have too much drag and it is quite uncomfortable to shave with.

I have an Omega synthetic hair brush that i use because the stiffer bristles are more "scrubbie" on my face and i like the way that feels. those bristles should last longer than a boar or badger hair brush as well. many people look down on the synthetics because they do tend to not lather shaving soaps as well.

the soap i use is Tobac. it lathers very will (see hte synthetic brush problem) and i ma fairly limited on my selection if i want as rich of a lather as i like. the soap smells great though.

i mug lather and just apply to the face. aftershave is also Tobac and i finish with an unscented sensitive skin lotion to re-moisturize.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vulchor:
    Im with a lot here, I keep my bear trimmed with the trimmer because then I dont really have to shave and its not at the point where its hot or itchy-----just the way my mother does it

When I do shave, Ive seen all the fancy stuff but cant believe anything could be a Mach 3 or Mach 5.
    Your mother what?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Was waiting to see if anyone got that comment.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Well, at the moment I have a full beard as opposed to my usual goatee. But for tidying up I use a Gillette Fusion, I can't remember why I chose that and I'm a creature of habit so it no longer matters. :)
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I have some facial hair. The wife likes it. I won't cut it off. What's good for the goose, ya know?

For those non-hairy parts I tidy up with a wet/dry electric. I can do something more luxurious if I want with the wet, or just blaze over it dry if I'm rushed. I view this as a chore. I'd love to turn it into a luxury but don't have the money, so for now, I want it over with as quickly as possible.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I started about 9 months ago. I use an Edwin Jagger De89lbl Double Edge Safety Razor with astral blades and Col. Conk Bay Rum shaving soap. My brush is a Vulfix Old Original super badger. It shed in the beginning. It has stopped shedding and has bloomed out nicely. It also makes a nice lather
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Here's my kit. No. Name safety, currently using derby De blades and a bunch of vdh stuff I got cheap.
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    I have used several types of razors over the years but now just use crap 3 blade disposable razors and .99$ barbasol shave cream,I shave my cheeks and neck every morning and most afternoon/evenings again, and use the hair clippers with the attachment at least once a week on the beard/mustache-goatee to keep them in line. I don't waste money on good items anymore because it doesn't matter how good the shave is, after about 3-4 hours the stubble is back, the only thing I haven't tried is the straight razor because I'd probably slit my throat trying lol
  • Options
    honorknight7:
    I have used several types of razors over the years but now just use crap 3 blade disposable razors and .99$ barbasol shave cream,I shave my cheeks and neck every morning and most afternoon/evenings again, and use the hair clippers with the attachment at least once a week on the beard/mustache-goatee to keep them in line. I don't waste money on good items anymore because it doesn't matter how good the shave is, after about 3-4 hours the stubble is back, the only thing I haven't tried is the straight razor because I'd probably slit my throat trying lol
    shaving with a straight razor is nice. There is a HUGE learning curve. With the thought of slitting your throat in your mind you'll keep your hand steadier than you thought you could ever do.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    has anybody tried that dollar shave club? ive been thinking about it....

Aj
  • Options
    EoLEoL Posts: 182
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj

if you like catridge razors.. its decent and makes it easier and cheaper... the blades arent the highest quality but it works hahha

I use a cheap safety razor (finding better blades now), a badger hair brush, and am experimenting with different shave soaps. 10000x cheaper and a better shave.
  • Options
    EoL:
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj

if you like catridge razors.. its decent and makes it easier and cheaper... the blades arent the highest quality but it works hahha

I use a cheap safety razor (finding better blades now), a badger hair brush, and am experimenting with different shave soaps. 10000x cheaper and a better shave.
    You should try the feather platinum blades, and the astral blades. Be careful if you do because they are a lot sharper than other blades. have a look at this website and read some reviews on their stuff. http://www.westcoastshaving.com/
  • Options
    EoLEoL Posts: 182
    just went and looked. Got feather right now :)
    My safety is very very mild. It is actually HARD to cut myself. I am ready to get something less mild now cuz i want a closer shave hahah
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Bumping this up because I tried and failed to grow a beard. I shaved today for the first time since my birthday back in august. A while back I went into an Art of Shaving store and the guy gave me samples of their product and that's what I used when I went all out on my 3 pass (technically 4 with the clippers) shave. It was the unscented stuff and I liked the shave cream and post shave so I'm looking into picking up some more of their stuff in lemon or lavender.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once upon a time, many years ago, the RedHead remarked: "You ought to just grow a beard and buy another motorcycle." Unwilling to assume she may have been sarcastic, I took her at her word. Have not seen my face for prolly 25 years now.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)