Home Cigar 101
Options

Terminology questions - Brands, Lines, Makers, Blenders, & Manufacturers.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
When speaking of cigars - What's the correct way to use the term BRAND when referencing the the different products from one manufacturer? Are Four Kicks and Headly Grange considered to be two separate brands under one manufacturer? (Crowned Heads) And what about using the term LINE? Seems like the term BRAND and the term LINE are sometimes being used interchangeably.

Also please differentiate any other industry and or trade terms that you're familiar with.

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Example. CAO is brand. CX2 is the line.
    Fuente -brand. Hemingway -line

I think where the confusion is, is the Maker.
    AJ Frenandez makes cigars for a ton of manufacturers, like 5 Vegas, MOW, Diesel, etc.
    So while the cigar may be sold under a certain Brand and line, it may be made by another maker.

Looking at all the brands and lines made by various companies, it's kind of surprising how few makers/blenders there actually are. I would have made the statement that the blenders and makers would be the same, except some makers have their own blenders for certain projects, it seems.
    Not really sure, except that I have seen some companies refer to some maker and some blender, as separate people.

Another example, although not certain of accuracy of "Manufacturer".
    Manufacturer - Don Pepin Garcia (Not sure if it would be considered that or My Father) Brand - My Father cigars
    Line - Le Bijou Maker - Jaime Garcia
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.