Home Cigar 101
Options

Ring gauge by way of circumference?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
How to measure the circumference of a box pressed mystery cigar and convert that measurement to ring gauge?

Comments

• Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Divide circumference by Pi to get diameter. If diameter is in inches, then multiply that by 64 to get ring gauge. A ring is 1/64" of the diameter so this should be correct.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Based on my own observations, the rg of a box press is based on the length of the diagonal.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Over humidifie it and it will become round lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it is right or not but I use calipers across the width and it comes out as what is advertised.
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    p are going going gone... tastes great.... couldn't help myself.... I even put my phone down for 10 minutes as a cool off period.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is only one correct way to do this.

You take the length of the cigar, devide it by two, then add three, if it is Tuesday and it's raining, I add another two, then I look what it says on the package for the ring gauge! ;)

• Options
    YankeeMan:
    There is only one correct way to do this.

You take the length of the cigar, devide it by two, then add three, if it is Tuesday and it's raining, I add another two, then I look what it says on the package for the ring gauge! ;)

LOL That's funny. But the question is really about a cigar that you don't have any (packaging) info on. That's what I meant by "mystery cigar". Or maybe it's a cigar that you have limited info on and you're trying to figure out which vitola it is and you need to know the ring gauge to do that. And you are trying to figure out what the ring gauge is from scratch.
  • Options
    Personally I don't have a complete mystery cigar. I actually have some info on this cigar and I've narrowed it down to two vitolas. And I could simply ask the guy I got it from. But the question is more hypothetical. What if you have a box press or semi-box press with no band and no info, and you want to figure out the ring gauge by measuring. Sure, If it's yours and you don't care, smoke it and forget it. But my question remains. I want to know.
  • Options
    No_one21:
    Divide circumference by Pi to get diameter. If diameter is in inches, then multiply that by 64 to get ring gauge. A ring is 1/64" of the diameter so this should be correct.
    I tried the formula you suggested using pi, (and after measuring wrong and scratching my head for a while) I think I did it right (more or less)
    2.5” divided by 3.14159 = 0.7957753876221913 multiplied by 64 = 50.92962480782024
    rounded to 51 ring gauge.
    Based on information that I could conclude from other sources
    the vitola had to be either, 6 x 52 or 6 x 46.
    So I conclude that it's gotta be the 6 x 52. Cool. Thanks
  • Options
    No problem glad it worked out!
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    No_one21:
    I tried the formula you suggested using pi, (and after measuring wrong and scratching my head for a while) I think I did it right (more or less)
    2.5” divided by 3.14159 = 0.7957753876221913 multiplied by 64 = 50.92962480782024
    THAT is exactly why I teach Criminal Justice and not math! Besides, he did say if you use applie or pumpkin pi!

• Options
    YankeeMan:
    Bob Luken:
    No_one21:
    THAT is exactly why I teach Criminal Justice and not math! Besides, he did say if you use applie or pumpkin pi!

• Options
    No_one21:
    YankeeMan:
    Bob Luken:
    No_one21:

Yes, but that pi are round, not square! I've always had trouble with math. When I took math, they only had three numbers and I still struggled! Cool pie though!