Home Cigar 101
Options

New Hygrometer

The cheap analog hygromter that came with my humidor is extremely innacturate lately and I don't feel like calibrating it everyday. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good digital hygrometer without a huge price tag?

Comments

• Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    They sell good ones here.
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I got the humi-care digital a few months back and I'm happy with it. It has the click wheel adjustment, so I don't have to calculate my humidity like I used to. I tried ordering the xikar first and had trouble getting it. I ordered it through 3 different vendors and all three lost my order or screwed something up with it so it never came. I gave up on it and went with this one from ccom and have no complaints.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    So far I've had good luck with one from Walmart actually. It was about $7 I think... Springfield Thermometer/Hygrometer in the section where Indoor/Outdoor thermometers are.. It's not adjustable, which isn't cool, but when I did the salt test it came out calibrated just fine so it's been doing me good.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    bibbybibby Posts: 152
    I agree with Hays, the springfield for the price is a great deal. Plus like he mentioned it's dead on even after I salt tested it.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    bibby:
    I agree with Hays, the springfield for the price is a great deal. Plus like he mentioned it's dead on even after I salt tested it.

Mine to ...I have 3 of them and they are all accurate and dependable ...
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    well after a few days of moping and realizing my old digi hygrometer was Fubar ed ....... i tooke the advice of hays and went to wally world to pick one of the springfields up ....... i did the salt test and at 4 hours it sat at 76 RH ..... so i placed it into my humi and left for work and am happy to see 73 degrees and 70 RH on the money ...... iam gonna pick up 3 more of these ........ 1 for my 20ct humi and 2 for the project coolidor that is to start as soon as i locate an old metal coleman cooler ..... i have some plans and the wheels are turning ......
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Wow, looks like I need to head to WalMart and pick up one of those. That way I can stop switching my current one back and forth between my humidors, lol.
  • Options
    I'm glad to see you're happy with it... I'm just amazed I was able to give legit advice on anything cigars! lol ;-) As far as the salt test goes I noticed that mine, within 4 hours or so, was at 80%, but by the next day was showing 75% consistently. I've been happy with it since, and since I'm hoping to get a couple more humidors next month I'll be buying a couple more.

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    You know what they say hays ...... "even a blind squirrel eventualy finds a nut"
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I tried to buy a couple of those hygro's today but they are sold out online :-( I guess I'll just have to rock what I got for now. good to hear they work well though, I was worried when I found out you can't calibrate them but now my worries have gone away
  • Options
    If you have a local store, check there. Wallyworld online told me they were sold out too, but I found a bunch in my local shop..

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    You know what they say hays ...... "even a blind squirrel eventualy finds his nuts"
    Pretty funny kingjk729
  • Options
    Thanks i'll be performing here all week , just make sure you tip your waiters and waitresses next shows at 11
  • Options
    I am actualy in Afghanistan right now, so no wal mart :-( but if you want to pick one up and send it to me I would be happy to compensate you with a few fine sticks ;-)
  • Options
    ejenne87:
    I am actualy in Afghanistan right now, so no wal mart :-( but if you want to pick one up and send it to me I would be happy to compensate you with a few fine sticks ;-)
    Well PM me your APO and I'll be happy to forward you one, no sticks required. I have a healthy respect for US military.

• Options
    Hays:
    ejenne87:
    Well PM me your APO and I'll be happy to forward you one, no sticks required. I have a healthy respect for US military.
    PM sent, Thanks Hays
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    You know what they say hays ...... "even a blind squirrel eventualy finds a nut"
    Or a car......that was wrong...I know.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    kingjk729:
    Or a car......that was wrong...I know.
    omg....I'm effin retarded. That took me at least three times reading to get it Krieg. As to whoever posted that originally - I just read that line in this month's Playboy... somebody plagiarizing? ;-)

• Options
    So I re-did the salt test on my cheap spring and it came back at 77% after 36 hours.

Is their a way to fix it, or should I just know it's off by 2%  or is that clsoe enough?
  • Options
    Well a 2% margin of error really isn't bad, but either way you can just remember that it's +2% off and be good.