Home General Discussion
Options

The New Gear Has Arrived!

After patiently waiting for a week, the humi, digi hygro , and cutter arriveth. Behold!

Now for the questions. I was planning to season it with my heartfelt tube, sadly the heartfelt tube has not arrived yet. Should I just season it with the humidifier that came with it and take that out once the beads arrive, or can I season it without the humidifier and just keep the shot glass of water in there till the beads arrive?

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Shot glass with water, that will get the Rh up faster and will help the process better than the beads (for the beads will take moisture out too once it gets up, whereas the water will just let the wood soak in the the goodness)
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Should clear up. I was going to use the shot glass the whole time, just wondering about using the supplied humidifier. I'm not sure when the heartfelt beads will arrive. How long can I season the humidor for? I seem to have an aversion to using the supplied humidifier. But once seasoned I guess I could use it till the beads arrive.
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    Should clear up. I was going to use the shot glass the whole time, just wondering about using the supplied humidifier. I'm not sure when the heartfelt beads will arrive. How long can I season the humidor for? I seem to have an aversion to using the supplied humidifier. But once seasoned I guess I could use it till the beads arrive.
    Depends on the seal in the Humi and your ambient Rh

Most people say Humi's need to be seasoned for a few days
    My advice is when it gets above 75% Rh then take the shot glass out and let it naturally come down to where you want it (65% or 70%) and then put your humidifier in and then your sticks... Then just watch it so it stabilizes where you want it.

Just remember to give most readings time to stabilize (i.e. when you put your sticks in they may change the Rh, but give it overnight and see where it's reading to get a TRUE measurement.
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Good advice. Not doing anything until I get to the store a buy some Ziplocs so I can do a salt test on my hygro. Guess if the beads aren't here by the time the humi is seasoned, I'll stick the supplied one in.
  • Options
    TheShaun:
    Good advice. Not doing anything until I get to the store a buy some Ziplocs so I can do a salt test on my hygro. Guess if the beads aren't here by the time the humi is seasoned, I'll stick the supplied one in.
    Shouldn't be a problem at all

Most people that get a Humi don't have themselves a "Cigar.Com" So the supplied Humidifier will do just fine
  • Options
    Ok not trying to hijack your thread here Shaun.

But this prompts me to ask a question.

Are you supposed to soak your humidifier with distilled water?

I did it a few times and that might be the problem i am having with my rh at 84%.

BTW Sweet Humi dude.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    magicseven:

I did it a few times and that might be the problem i am having with my rh at 84%.

BTW Sweet Humi dude.
    You can use water and wipe the insides of your Humi down. You do want to be careful not to use TOO MUCH water however, as this can warp the wood, thus basically ruining the humi's ability to form a proper seal later on.
    You can easily lower your humidity down from the 84% by locating it in a room with lower RH and letting it sit in there (top open) until you get closer to say 70%. Then put it back into its permanant spot, add your humidification device and let it sit (lid closed) for the rest of the day. Check your RH in the morning to see if it has spiked or if it is now maintaining at around the RH% you desire.
    Quite often when I add new sticks to my humi it will cause a temporary spike in my humi's RH. Sometimes as much as 3 or 4 % but within a day or so they start to drop down again. That lets me know that my humi's are still well seasoned, and that the seal is still working.
  • Options
    magicseven:

BTW Sweet Humi dude.
    NO Soaking! It should be damp, and it is always easy to ADD more water or polypropelene solution, it is very HARD to take some out or back...

Get it nice and damp, and add as necessary
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my humidors from two different sites (before I discovered c.com) and both said DO NOT wipe down the insides with distilled water!

I have seen some instructional sites and they mention both ways, wiping it down with a damp cloth and some say don't do it.

I did not do it and I have both humis side by side and the RH stays pretty constant and both read the same.
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    I put my humidor in the tub and fill it in with hot water... That usually does the job of soaking it properly... But then again I do this only when drunk so idk... ;)
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    YankeeMan:
    I got my humidors from two different sites (before I discovered c.com) and both said DO NOT wipe down the insides with distilled water!

I have seen some instructional sites and they mention both ways, wiping it down with a damp cloth and some say don't do it.

I did not do it and I have both humis side by side and the RH stays pretty constant and both read the same.
    True enough Yankeeman. However, have you read the outside of a cup of take out coffee these days. "Caution contents hot!". Now who would have figured that a cup of coffee would be HOT LMAO
    In other words, those cautionary words about not wiping the insides is an attempt to idiot proof the world, much like the coffee cup caution. You CAN wipe the insides of your humi with water, just keep it reasonable, it isn't a fish bowl.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Renaissance_Man:
    I put my humidor in the tub and fill it in with hot water... That usually does the job of soaking it properly... But then again I do this only when drunk so idk... ;)
    This is what I always do as well. I prefer to store my tamp... er cigars at 120% humidity. They always have a distinct soggy flavor, with a touch of fail on the long watery finish. Sweet setup shaun!