Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Flyovers

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I love watching them at sporting events. I think the crowds dig it too.I'm sure the military uses them as "Training Missions" in order to justify the cost hahaha.

Comments

• Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree! There is nothing cooler than seeing some kick @$$ jets in action!
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When my son went to VMI, we went down there for a football game and they had a flyover. You heard them, saw them and they were gone, all in about 5 seconds. It rattled my teeth, but it was indeed so cool!

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shortly after 9/11 the military was doing test runs all over the place. One fly over was real early in the morning while I was parking and it went straight over my condo. He was so low that I heard him for a very long time before I saw the jet. And so low and close I think I saw him wink at me...and the noise...
  • Options
    dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    Rain:
    I love watching them at sporting events. I think the crowds dig it too.I'm sure the military uses them as "Training Missions" in order to justify the cost hahaha.

I haven't seen one recently other than the Army-Navy game. I know that during the sequester the Air Force had all fly overs taken out of the budget to use that money elsewhere. Sad day. I also love to watch them.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love 'em too. I like how they time it so well too. Showing up just after the national anthem wraps up.
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    We were "targeted" for about an hour by fighters doing training runs while driving along the Skyline Drive some years back, maybe the 1980s??… I can't say I liked it at all. :)
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    About 10 years ago the ROTC graduating class at CU in Boulder had a stealth bomber do a flyover. Pretty awesome right up to the point the pilot hit the afterburner "for effect". He managed to set off every car alarm in Boulder.......
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    dandin1:
    Rain:

I haven't seen one recently other than the Army-Navy game. I know that during the sequester the Air Force had all fly overs taken out of the budget to use that money elsewhere. Sad day. I also love to watch them.

This. Im stationed at VFA-122, the west coast Super Hornet training squadron, we do all west coast F/A-18F flyovers and since the sequester our flyovers have been completley halted with the exception of military honors type of flights. Same for the static displays we supplied to airshows as well as the Tactical Air Demo we fly at airshows. Pretty sad, it was a good deal to those guys who went, always got free tickets to the game, specials seats and free beer.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I went to a GT football game a few years ago and was held up in a line as the flyover happened and I remember thinking it was much louder than normal. Found out later the pilots were too low and were not allowed to fly again! Sooo mad I didn't get it see it...

Starts around the :50 mark

LINK