Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Rocket's red glare, bombs bursting in air.

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
Why has it become almost mandatory to fire off fireworks DURING the national anthem? IMO it's lame to literally interpret a tiny part of the lyrics just because you already have the fireworks set up for the touchdown celebrations. Not to mention that the crowd raucously cheers the fireworks instead of showing proper respect for the anthem and flag.

I say do away with playing the national anthem at games if it can't be done respectfully.

And don't get me started on how disrespectful I think these singers are when they use the national anthem to show off their vocal skills and unique interpretive style. Screw 'em. Get the armed services musicians to do it. They know how to show proper respect.

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    You mad bro?
  • Options
    Pissed. Yeah they always piss me off with that ****.
  • Options
    I'm Rain, and I support fireworks.I don't care either way.
  • Options
    It's just my opinion. But I'm right ;)
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know that it was a "thing" to set off fireworks during the national anthem. I'd agree, I think that's a little tacky and disrespectful of the song and singer.

Regarding interpretation, a little is fine. It should still sound like the national anthem though.

Back in highshool I was asked to play the national anthem on guitar before a basketball game. I added a little (when I forgot exactly what to play next :/ ) but I was told it was very tastefull and sounded like Ted Nugent, lol!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    probably just trying to drown out the lousy singing.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    The thing that pisses me off is when people don't bother to stand...or they look annoyed at having to stand.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:

Aw, go ahead, Bob. Don't hold back. Say what you REALLY think..... Lol
  • Options
    Well, maybe I should clarify exactly what I was saying about the fireworks part that I mentioned first. I've been watching the playoffs and I've seen a few examples this year and I've also noticed this practice increasing during the past few years. When they get to the part where they sing "and the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air" they shoot off fireworks while the singer is singing those particular lyrics. This doesn't happen indoors, pretty sure just at outdoor games.
  • Options
    Echambers:
    Bob Luken:
    The thing that pisses me off is when people don't bother to stand...or they look annoyed at having to stand.
    Yeah, and some of them are walkin' around talkin' or won't take their stupid hat off, chewin' gum, blowin' their nose. All kinds of poor behavior. and you can't make 'em behave so I say do away with it. Why do we need to do it before games anyway?
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    Bob Luken:

You mean like the queen of vacations..........mssssss obozo..?
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Echambers:
    Bob Luken:

You mean like the queen of vacations..........mssssss obozo..?
    Yes, I think he meant to turn this into an anti-Obama thread. smh....
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Never been sure why we play it at all outside perhaps the Olympics. I can remember being 8 years old at a Cubs game and hearing the pitcher and catcher speak in Spanish and both were foreign born-----yet we stood for the national athem of the US. I supposed its nice and all, but smells like a way to stir up patriotism and good feelings to disguise the fact we just spent 8 bucks on a f'ing hot dog.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I dont think we play it enough. Sporting events provide a mass forum to briefly remind people of something we so dearly lack, national identity. Rubs me absolutley raw when people dont stand and remove their hats(or get off their cell phones and generally shut up). If nothing else it's a gesture of respect and reverence to those who didnt come home. Just and old fashioned veterans view i suppose..
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I dont think we play it enough. Sporting events provide a mass forum to briefly remind people of something we so dearly lack, national identity. Rubs me absolutley raw when people dont stand and remove their hats(or get off their cell phones and generally shut up). If nothing else it's a gesture of respect and reverence to those who didnt come home. Just and old fashioned veterans view i suppose..
    +1 I guess that make me old fashioned too...
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Seahawks just did it too.
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Seahawks just did it too.
    Yeah she want good......
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    If you can't sing it right, STFU!!!! This is not a forum to showcase what vocal talent you think you have, fat ho!
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    If you can't sing it right, STFU!!!! This is not a forum to showcase what vocal talent you think you have, fat ho!
    Don't keep it bottled up, Vinny. Tell us what you really think. ROFL!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I think they should get rid of it. Maybe in the Championship game. I'm a veteran and I'll still stand at attention when it's played but I never understood why patriotism had to be so mixed with sports events. There are tons of times for us to be patriotic. Why at the beginning of every single major sporting event. I get tired of hearing it. I like our anthem but have you ever had a song you really liked but the radio made you start to dislike it because they played it every 30 minutes. It's kinda like that. Starting to feel like watered down patriotism.