Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Adopting our first...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is he neutered? I've heard that un-neutered males mark their territory (your house) with urine. But he's probably neutered. Right?
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Not until this weekend
  • Options
    How often do you feed a cat? If I put food in the bowl, he devours it...I'm thinking they did not feed him so well at the shelter. But I also don't want to make him fat.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    How often do you feed a cat? If I put food in the bowl, he devours it...I'm thinking they did not feed him so well at the shelter. But I also don't want to make him fat.

We leave food bowls out all day and only add when needed...we have 2 cats, Little Panda and Princess Poops Alot.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Rain:

We leave food bowls out all day and only add when needed...we have 2 cats, Little Panda and Princess Poops Alot.
    That's what we do with our dog....just leave the food down all day.

I bet you're right Randy, he either didn't get enough food at the shelter or was used to having to scarf it down, to make sure another kitty did not eat it.
    But if you think he is eating too much though - check the food container. There's usually "recommended daily amount" (at least on dog food) based on the age & weight of the animal.
    I'd give it a week or so and see if he slows down. Has he been to the vet yet? If not, ask them about it on your first visit.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Just depends on the cat. If I leave food out all day mine just gorge themselves and puke a lot so I feed them twice a day, once before i leave for work and then when I get home. My parents cats are content to graze a little bit all day.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Rain:

Forgot to add. If you leave full food bowls out be cautious and limit the number and type of treats you give them, cats will put on weight quickly. Our cats know that a full bowl is always there, and they sort of snack all day, and don't look for treats at all. And with 5 dogs in the same house they stay fairly active.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's something to consider: If you don't feed cats they will go away. Which is the only good thing you can say about them.

That, and with just a flick of the wrist they can be taught to fly.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Gone well so far. Working out a few cat kinks, but we love Tiberius Not Lee Ewing.image
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    A dog will fall all over itself trying to please the master. A cat couldn't care less whether you're pleased as long as IT is pleased...... ;-).
    This is the most true thing I've ever read. The worst/best part is that we got it for the kids. He really only likes me, IE I can pick him up and he loves on me...the kids try to snuggle him and he'll swat at them. Guess he knows who feeds him and changes his litter box.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    jlmarta:
    A dog will fall all over itself trying to please the master. A cat couldn't care less whether you're pleased as long as IT is pleased...... ;-).
    This is the most true thing I've ever read. The worst/best part is that we got it for the kids. He really only likes me, IE I can pick him up and he loves on me...the kids try to snuggle him and he'll swat at them. Guess he knows who feeds him and changes his litter box.

And kids are sometimes a bit hyper and cats don't seem to care for that. The calm, laid-back vibes are probably more appealing to Tiberius.... As for confusing your humi kitty litter with its sandbox, that won't happen if you use wood pellets in the litter box. Just sayin'.....
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taste like chicken.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    jlmarta:
    see if he likes turkey lunch meat. If he does, have the kids give him a little lunch meat every single day as a treat. Eventually he will realize that they are the ones that give him the treats and will warm up to them.

We did this with our kitten. My youngest was a little rough with him and one night when he had friends over something scared the cat off to the point where he would hiss at anyone the size of a 12 year old.

we had the youngest give him his treats every morning when making his sandwich for school and now they are best buddies.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Here's something to consider: If you don't feed cats they will go away. Which is the only good thing you can say about them.

That, and with just a flick of the wrist they can be taught to fly.

Finally someone said something I agree with. All this cat loving talk almost caused me to lose my lunch. I was going to suggest any size round for whatever firearm you had nearby will fix any cat problem you have. If that fails a small saucer with anti-freeze will do the trick, just with slower results.