Home General Discussion
Options

Cello is not for me.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know that some folks on here keep their cigars in the cello they came in. I am not going to do that anymore and I'll tell you why. I got some cigars and half were in cello and half naked. I placed them all in a seasoned humidor to rest for 4 weeks and started smoking them 2 days ago. All the naked ones were fine but the 3 I took from cello had cracked and peeling wrappers.

Am I missing something..?

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the cello cracked the wrapper. Would not be the first time I was wrong, though.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I don't think the cello cracked the wrapper.
    i tend to agree here.

please note that this is not an endorsement to keep the cello on. i dont think it makes a lick of difference save for some superficial reasons.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Rain is right. The cello is permeable and doesn't prevent the RH from getting to the cigar so my question is - how long were the cello'ed sticks away from humidification? Cracked wrappers sound like dry wrappers to me. Just a guess, obviously....
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    I think Rain is right. The cello is permeable and doesn't prevent the RH from getting to the cigar so my question is - how long were the cello'ed sticks away from humidification? Cracked wrappers sound like dry wrappers to me. Just a guess, obviously....

The cello wrapped and the naked were away from Humidification in a humidor, for the same amount of time and when they were out of the humidor, they were in a humibag.

I am confused by this and before I start shucking cellos I will read every post and hope I can come up with an answer.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't shuck all your cellos just yet. I don't believe it would help. In fact I think your situation may be just a coincedence. I actually have the opposite experience. I have always had trouble with naked sticks getting nicked up. ESPECIALLY the Perdomo 20th anniversary sun grown. Something about that wrapper is too delicate for me. Every single one of the five or six that are left has some kind of damage. I've read somewhere that certain wrappers are delicate and can be damaged easily. Is it the Nicaraguan Sun Growns?
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Wait till you have a beetle or mold outbreak. Keep the cello on... Cello passes moisture, so no loss there really, who knows why they split, could be a million reasons. Happens from time to time unfortunately, and I would say cello is the lat thing I would attest to it. And yes Bob, certain wrappers are delicate and can be damaged such as cameroon, shade conny, and many others depending on the region really.
  • Options
    Do you even cello bro?
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went through a no cellophane and regretted it because I am the kind of guy that digs through the humi to find the stick I want to smoke. (My partner calls this "playing with my sticks"). I found out that I was tearing the wrappers when I was doing this. My guess ( and this is really just a guess) is that sticks in cellos, especially if they have been mistreated before you got them, will take longer to stabilize than sticks not in their cellos because there is no barrier--even though the cellos are permeable it's still a barrier of sorts.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Rain:
    Do you even cello bro?

Yes and no, anything new that comes in cello stays in cello for 4 to 8 weeks. Depending on my need for a cigar of a certain persuasion it is more likely to be 4 weeks. If I am fortunate enough to come across an "in my dreams" cigar, it does not matter how it comes, it gets handled with kid gloves and ages for at least 3 months, unwrapped or naked. But my every day cigars are removed from the cello after 4 weeks and go into my desktop humidor.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    For every cello'd cigar you had this problem with I have 3000 that didn't have it. It's completely coincidental as you could ask every cigar smoker out there what their experience has been. I've had more naked cigars crack and peel. Sometimes things are just random.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Do you even cello bro?
    you dont look like you cello...
  • Options
    Cigary:
    For every cello'd cigar you had this problem with I have 3000 that didn't have it. It's completely coincidental as you could ask every cigar smoker out there what their experience has been. I've had more naked cigars crack and peel. Sometimes things are just random.

From what is being posted I am in agreement with you. I panicked.....

• Options
    kuzi16:
    Rain:
    Do you even cello bro?
    Heck no. But I respect Luigi Boccherini.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Rain:
    Do you even cello bro?

It's one of those things the family tries not to bring up...
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Do you even cello bro?
    No, I fiddle
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is so funny and it reminded me of this post.
    Watch from the 5:20 mark if you don't wanna watch the whole thing.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like cello just because I'm constantly digging thru and rearranging them. Have you had any drastic swings in humidity during all these cold and warm snaps? Mines been going up and down all winter depending on if it warms up or gets freezing outside. I've seen it drop down to 59% RH and jumped up to 73% once. I'll be glad when spring gets here.
  • Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    I had a mold outbreak in a full humi. The sticks left in the cello were just fine. My friends enjoyed the other ones ;)

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    pross:
    I had a mold outbreak in a full humi. The sticks left in the cello were just fine. My friends enjoyed the other ones ;)

now that's funny!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    if you get mold or beetles, you will be greatful for the cello. Luckily almost all Habanos come without cello and those are the ones that I've had beetles in so only my Cuban sticks get destroyed by the infestation of vermin. Whew, those MOW 2nds were saved luckily........
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    cigar101
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    if you get mold or beetles, you will be greatful for the cello. Luckily almost all Habanos come without cello and those are the ones that I've had beetles in so only my Cuban sticks get destroyed by the infestation of vermin. Whew, those MOW 2nds were saved luckily........
    Sucks about your cubanos....hopefully the vendor replaced them for you.

But I gotta say it ..... MOW FTW!!!!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    ^^^^^It's spreading...now my master plan can begin.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    ^^^^^It's spreading...now my master plan can begin.
    hmm....i hope this master plan involves us all taking a "forum group trip" to aj's factory and smoking all the MOWs!!!!!
    yessssss

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    I use too take off the cello but now I seem too put one on everything I send out! Mainly because I've received cigars with cracked wrappers that were naked more then others...also yeah I dig through stuff quite a bit and well extra protection never hurts
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    dennisking:

HAHAHAHAHA They were gifts from a brother who is not on here anymore. Kris was his name and he used to travel to Panama. He brought me back some San Cristobal de la Habana's and one unbanded mystery stick. The mystery stick had the beetles and luckily my Opus' were in cello. Kris made good though. He sent me a metric ton of sticks, even though he had no need to in my opinion. He sent some Cohiba Maduro Genios 5's and some San Cristobal de la Habana's my way. I destroyed them with fire.
  • Options
    dennisking:
    jgibv:
    dennisking:

HAHAHAHAHA They were gifts from a brother who is not on here anymore. Kris was his name and he used to travel to Panama. He brought me back some San Cristobal de la Habana's and one unbanded mystery stick. The mystery stick had the beetles and luckily my Opus' were in cello. Kris made good though. He sent me a metric ton of sticks, even though he had no need to in my opinion. He sent some Cohiba Maduro Genios 5's and some San Cristobal de la Habana's my way. I destroyed them with fire.
    if I ever get beetles I will torch them with a acetylene torch...I wanna here them pop lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    dennisking:
    Good point on this....when I have had in the past a beetle infestation the ones that had cello on them proved to be a second line of defense when those suckers start to make holes in your cigars. Most CC's do not come in cello but I have a ton that I have saved where I will slide my CC's into the cello and then cut off both ends so that the air can get around it.