Home Non Cigar Related

Any Plumbers out there

SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
A few questions for anybody with plumbing knowledge. Our hot water taps/showers keep clogging up. The screens in all of the newer low flow devices are clogging with grit frequently. This doesn't happen to the cold side. A friend said that means the hot water tank needs to be replaced...true? not true?

Anyone have experience with electric tankless water heaters? Worth the money & will I see any savings monthly on my bill to offset purchase cost?

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    --------------> Insert "I lay pipe" joke here <-----------------------------
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a plumber ..... but is it running slow in all of the hot water taps through the entire house?
    Or just the hot taps in a certain room?
    How old is the water heater?
    What types of supply lines do you have --- galvanized steel, copper, pex?

If galvanized, might be the pipes....
    If not, then probably the water heater....
    You can try fixing the water heater though before replacing it....if it's pretty old you may be better off saving the time/effort and just replacing it.

If you want to try to flush/fix it....do this:
    "1- if electric - pull out both anodes (heating elements) and inspect. If crusty, then replace
    2- if gas, keep flushing. You might find it faster to remove the HWH outside, pull the bottom valve and flush by adding water to the Hot water outlet side at the top while the valve is off at the bottom. Those cheap plastic valves have tiny openings inside.
    3- If the tank is too much of a PITA to move and the flushing seems to be endless, try rocking the tank to loosen some of the crud at the bottom.
    4- Add a sediment filter to your whole house water system."
    More info here: https://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?119053-Clogged-and-Corroded-Hot-Water-Line

And, no experience with the tankless systems but if you're on "city water" -- check with your provider, they may provide some sort of rebate for new water heaters

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    I have a plumbers crack.
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your response.
    Just hot water taps throughout house. It runs fine without showerhead in place.
    no clue if galvinized or copper. Most likely some jury rigged mix of everything, but haven't really crawled under house to check.
    The heater is at least 10 years old..... I have replaced the elements in it about 2 years ago. Thank you for the website. I'll have to research this a day or so more before I tear into it
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone I Know that has an instant hot water heater loves it and they say the cost to run it is less. But they are expensive.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Everyone I Know that has an instant hot water heater loves it and they say the cost to run it is less. But they are expensive.
    That's what I've heard, too. My understanding is that they're not bad, individually, to buy, but if you have lots of faucets they start to add up. People I know love their systems, though.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    jd50ae:
    That's what I've heard, too. My understanding is that they're not bad, individually, to buy, but if you have lots of faucets they start to add up. People I know love their systems, though.

There are 2 different kinds, individual and whole house...I would hate to cover the expense of one for every faucet.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old is the heater? Are you on well or "city" water? Does your water precipitate when you freeze it? Or, does your coffee maker get "lime" build up?

My experience has been that sooner or later, no matter what you have or where you live, you get build-up and break-down in your hot water heater. If it's more than 15 years old, just replace it. You can go to homeowner oriented places that will sell you one for around $1,000 or more, or, you can go somewhere that caters more to contractors and pay a lot less.

I'm going to be looking into the instant ones before I buy again, but I just put this one in about 3 years ago. I think it was about $190, can take a 20 minute hot shower right after the dishwasher finishes.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    Martel:
    jd50ae:

There are 2 different kinds, individual and whole house...I would hate to cover the expense of one for every faucet.
    I guess that depends...from what I understand there are some advantages to having one for each faucet, but it's been a long time since I've done the research.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem with excessive amounts of mineral buildup. I just decided to split the load between the sides of the house and added a second water heater. logic being if it takes 15 years at regular use to muck one up.... it will take 30 years with a water heater running at half demand.

Aj
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    If it is hot only and if the gritty stuff that gets trapped in the screens in the spout is kind of a white plastic, then it is likely you have and older OA Smith water heater (various brands made by them) and the white plastic down tube is disintegrating inside the heater and time for replacement. This was a known defect but too late for any compensation. If the gritty stuff is rusty or metallic then your pipes are old. (like me)
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I have a 100gallon water heater. I don't worry about the hot water running out.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Electric water heaters have an sacrificial electrode that screws in from the top that is designed to take the punishment of the electrical fields created from the elements to protect and prolong their lifespan. It sounds like it has deteriorated to the point of rusting nearly though and needs replacing, but as your heater is as old as it is your best bet is to simply replace or have it replaced as some of the older units are energy robbers anyway. The cost of a new electric heater will more than pay for itself within three years in power savings alone. I hope this helps.
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Thank you gentlemen
    I will be replacing it with a normal tanked version. I'm not sure I want to spend 3 times more on a tankless one until I have more testimonials about performance.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Sasquatch:
    Thank you gentlemen
    I will be replacing it with a normal tanked version. I'm not sure I want to spend 3 times more on a tankless one until I have more testimonials about performance.

Tankless are the best way to go but the up front cost when coupled with re-plumbing and wiring, often you will naturally want to move it a bit, can be a burden on your finances to the point that a good old fashioned forty gallon tank that sell locally for around 250.00 and that will pay for itself in a few years anyway is the logical way to proceed.