Home General Discussion

Tongue swelling draw

I'm getting tired or throwing out some good cigars... more and more I'm running into tightly packed sticks that ruin the smoking experience. Almost all of my Montecristo media noche's and lately an A. Fernandez signature are nearly impossible to smoke.

Ever had a banana milkshake and get caught on a banana piece...and you suck and suck knowing there is something good to come but the banana never moves out of your straw... your tongue swells up and your tastebuds pop out and ruin the deal?

Well, that's pretty much it.

Does the drawpoker save these problematic expensive smokes?

Comments

• Sometimes. If it's plugged then yes. If it's just tight, I'd suggest putting them back into the humi for some extra time.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    And check Humidity

When I First started I hit a patch where the cigars were tight and the flavor was harsh.... It was also rainy season in Wisconsin and my humi didn't have a good seal... over humidified made them draw like a "Frosty" from Wendy's
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i agree with the above. get your rH in your humidor down to about 65%
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made myself a 'poker' out of a piece of the smallest-diameter coat hanger wire I could find. I use it to open up an air channel through those too-tightly wrapped sticks. Just be careful to keep it pointed straight - doesn't do much good if it comes out through the side of the stick.

Marty

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i use a large paperclip.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Some times its can be a case of over humidification. Before you light up take a few dry puff and see how the draw is. If your to tight place it in a empty wooden cigar box and let it rest for 4-8 hour and revisit the cigar. This should give some time for the filler to dry slightly and contract and open up the pathways for the smoke to travel through. I Keep my humidor at 67-69% as I find this is keeps eveything at a ready to smoke condition. Keep in mind Thicker wrappers like any maduro will hold in the moisture longer and may need a longer period to be dry boxed. For an example the Padilla Obsidian which is one of my favorites but can yield a tuff draw but its hearty wrapper can hold in the moisture like no other and sometimes need to be dry boxed for as long as 24 hours.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Stick an ice pick in a lathe and hit it with an angle grinder to thin it out...Make your own draw poker!
  • Thanks guys. I have about 15 media noches and 2 of the 3 have been bad. Bad enough to not touch for the last 60 days.

The A. Fuente I just got in the mail 2 days ago and couldn't wait, better give it some time. It feels really tight, should know better but I had to taste it.

My humidity is spot on with 65% beads. Temp is a constant 68-70 with an RH that hasn't moved from 65 in 2 weeks.

So hopefully it's just some extra needed time.

Andrew, fantastic advice. I'll first try to let them rest in the humidor for awhile then if I still have an issue I will dry box it. Maybe at last I won't have to be throwing out good money sticks.