Home Cigar 101
Options

Purging

How many of you guys do this? I discovered it not too long ago and am finding it very useful for when a cigar starts to get bitter* down towards the end. (for those that don't know, purging is when you blow out through the cigar while lighting it and a blue flame emits from the cigar and you continue to blow out until the flame goes out).

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Die you mean 'when the cigar starts to get BITTER down towards the end? Or BETTER? I could understand doing this if it's getting bitter but I really love it when one gets better down towards the end. I think that'e where the 'sweet spot' is with some sticks.

And I don't understand about the relighting part. I do the blowing out bit occasionally when a stick starts to taste bad but I've never tried relighting at that point. Maybe I'm just a little dense.

Marty

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I don't use the lighter as you do, but I will blow through my sticks a little now and then, just to make sure that most of the "Nasties" are outta there
  • Options
    Oops, yeah I meant *BITTER* ! Try relighting while your blowing out next time, get that blue flame going and keep blowing till it goes out. The next few puffs are pure heaven!! I've heard It helps burn out built up tar or gunk that makes the cigar bitter. I don't know, all I know, is that using this method, I can finally nub a cigar without it tasting like bitter burnt charcoal.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I'll give that a try tonight, thanks for the tip.