Home Non Cigar Related

1911....to buy or not to buy....

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
So, it looks like we are going to be getting my wife a 1911. We are 99% settled on the Kimber Crimson Carry Pro (4" barrel). The question is, should I also get myself one?

If I do, it will probably be a cheaper model, definitely under the $1000 mark. I am leaning towards either a Para Ordnance or a Springfield. I wouldn't carry it, I would be sticking with my XD for carry purposes. It would pretty much be just for shooting at the range purposes. Due to not carrying it, I would more than likely get a full sized 5" barrel model, although I may end up going with a 4" barrel.

Also worth noting in this debate is that I am going to be getting an AR at about the same time, all of these go under the category of "deployment presents", lol.

What say ye, noble masses of the forums? Should I get myself a 1911 as well?

Comments

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    You can't go wrong with the Kimber's ....... They and the colts are really the only two 45's that truly hold their value without getting too crazy price wise. Not to mention Kimber stands behind their product like no other. I think you can't wrong. I like the Colt 1911 in 38 super...... My buddy's wife has one, really a nice shooting gun.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was actually just looking at some of the more inexpensive Kimbers, they have a few models between $800-1000, I might go that route too.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    i say yes
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Yes on the Kimber and check out the Taurus entry into the 1911 frame. You get all the bells and whistles for 6 to 8 hundo. I have been shooting Taurus guns for the last 10 years and love them.

Sample: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=387258540
    Is the Taurus that good? I am a long time fan of Taurus's revolvers (used to have a .454 Casull raging Bull, god I regret getting rid of that gun) and have always heard good things about their semis. I figured their 1911 was a solid pistol, but when you say "bells and whistles", you mean its like match-grade or something?
    Oh wow, I just found a few reviews on the Taurus, I had no idea it was this loaded.

http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-PT1911.htm
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    For the sub $1000 1911s, you should also consider STI. Not a lot of bells & whistles but high on reliability, accuracy and customer service.

If you could up your budget a bit more, the Dan Wesson 1911s are one of the best bangs for your buck. High quality components, no MIM parts and excellent fit & finish.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a great 1911 buyers guide. It has real good information of 1911s from the entry level to the customs
    Buyers Guide

Pics don't show up in the thread but if you right click and open in new page, it'll work.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I would say yes to 1911... but go grab several prior to purchase. I have several colts and recently purchased a Desert Eagle. But for me it is balance and fit. I have only put about 700 rounds through the DE but have no problems with any of them. Check the fit first... just my 2¢.
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Kimber or Springfield for a mid-range price. Les Baer or Wilson for higher end.
    Anyone have any experience with the Ruger SR1911?
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I held one @ the range... felt like a solid piece but not what I prefer. My brother loves his rugers.