Home Pipes

Cut Age

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
Does any particular cut (navy, flake, cake, rolled...) age better then another?

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good question. I know flakes are regarded to age very well. The tobaccos are already pressed together, so they meld together really well with age. The same is probably true with rolls. But would a ribbon cut not age as well? I have no idea...

Just the process of making a flake changes the charcter of the tobacco. Adding heat and pressure sort of "cooks" the tobacco and I believe this effect is something like what aging does. Forces the tobacco's to get along with eachother and the oils intermingle and all of that stuff.

I think the type of tobacco, more than the cut, will determine how it ages. The oldest tobacco I have is only a few years old so I am not an expert on aging stuff yet, lol!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I am far from an expert on this as I have only been smoking for just over 3 yrs now. However, what I have stored for 3 years and what I remember from smoking fresh, it is really the type not the cut that makes it. As a rule, VA's will sweeten, Lat. will mellow, etc. This happens in all types. Also, while aging is great and it does improve many blends that I have smoked, it is not that the blend is radically different at least in this early period. I could still tell it was very similar just rounder then the newer stuff if that helps.