Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Survivorman

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I meant to post earlier about how much I love this show. Then I really remembered because I'm watching the episode "Mexican Desert Island" and he's using cigars to transport his fire.I've been watching the show for a few years now. I love it, it inspires me to get outdoors more. Plus I like that it's just him and his cameras.

Comments

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Les Stroud. I haven't seen the cigar episode! That's too cool
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    I meant to post earlier about how much I love this show. Then I really remembered because I'm watching the episode "Mexican Desert Island" and he's using cigars to transport his fire.I've been watching the show for a few years now. I love it, it inspires me to get outdoors more. Plus I like that it's just him and his cameras.
    Bear Grylls is an idiot compared to Les Stroud.
  • Options
    My team leader in Afghanistan and I would always argue because I'm in the Stroud camp and he's in the Grylls camp.
  • Options
    curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    Bob Luken:
    Rain:
    Bear Grylls is an idiot compared to Les Stroud.
    I agree
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear Grylls has the manly name on lock... but Les is the real deal. Doing his own filming is just insane.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Bear Grylls has the manly name on lock... but Les is the real deal. Doing his own filming is just insane.
    Right. Les is out there alone all by himself with his cameras. Plus I've never seen Les take unecessary risks Like Bear. I guess that's because Bear has his own paramedics and camera crew chasing after him. I guess that safety net he has encourages him to take risks like drinking juice from elephant turds just for shock value.
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I love those survival shows. Grylls is more entertaining for TV, but following his advice would get you killed quick in a dire situation. "Hey lets slide down this 20ft waterfall without knowing the pool depth below!"
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I read a book some years ago that described a boy learning to survive on his own in backwoods Poland during WWII and he carried an ember in a small can on a string. The ember was surrounded by green plant material and a few holes poked in the can increased airflow. The swinging motion of the can and resulting airflow kept the ember going until he was ready to build a new fire.

I have NO IDEA if this works, but it's an image that has always stuck with me.

It's from "The Painted Bird" by Jerzy Kosinski... a powerful and disturbing read.

• Options
    PAtoNH:
    I read a book some years ago that described a boy learning to survive on his own in backwoods Poland during WWII and he carried an ember in a small can on a string. The ember was surrounded by green plant material and a few holes poked in the can increased airflow. The swinging motion of the can and resulting airflow kept the ember going until he was ready to build a new fire.

I have NO IDEA if this works, but it's an image that has always stuck with me.

It's from "The Painted Bird" by Jerzy Kosinski... a powerful and disturbing read.

Good idea. I would imagine that it does work. I figure this type of practice has been used since man learned to use fire. They must have quickly learned it was tremendously easier to transport hot coals to another location that to start a new fire when they got there.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    You can get a signed copy of "Beyond Survivorman" for $30 on his website.http://shop.lesstroud.ca/product/beyond-survivorman-autographed-by-les-stroud