Home Non Cigar Related

Puffs From The Prince of Preachers

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Charles Haddon Spurgeon (19 June 1834 – 31 January 1892) was a British Baptist minister, well known for his eloquent sermons, prolific writing, and his love of good cigars. Once accused by Dr. Dwight Pentecost of engaging in "sinful" activity by smoking, he famously replied:

“Well, dear friends, you know that some men can do to the glory of God what to other men would be sin. And notwithstanding what brother Pentecost has said, I intend to smoke a good cigar to the glory of God before I go to bed tonight. If anybody can show me in the Bible the command, ‘Thou shalt not smoke,’ I am ready to keep it; but I haven’t found it yet. I find Ten Commandments, and it’s as much as I can do to keep them; and I’ve no desire to make them into eleven or twelve." In addition to his regular preaching services and charity work in London, Mr. Spurgeon published a number of daily devotionals. I thought it might be a worthy thing to begin a thread in honor of this venerable BOTL, sharing his brief messages which have been published under the title of "Faith's Checkbook."

January 18

Christ and His Children

When thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed. (Isaiah 53:10)

Our Lord Jesus has not died in vain. His death was sacrificial: He died as our substitute, because death was the penalty of our sins. Because His substitution was accepted of God, He has saved those for whom He made His soul a sacrifice. By death He became like the corn of wheat which bringeth forth much fruit. There must be a succession of children unto Jesus; He is "the Father of the everlasting age." He shall say, "Behold, I and the children whom Thou hast given me."

A man is honored in his sons, and Jesus hath His quiver full of these arrows of the mighty. A man is represented in his children, and so is the Christ in Christians. In his seed a man's life seems to be prolonged and extended; and so is the life of Jesus continued in believers.

Jesus lives, for He sees His seed. He fixes His eye on us, He delights in us, He recognizes us as the fruit of His soul travail. Let us be glad that our Lord does not fail to enjoy the result of His dread sacrifice, and that He will never cease to feast His eyes upon the harvest of His death. Those eyes which once wept for us are now viewing us with pleasure. Yes, He looks upon those who are looking unto Him. Our eyes meet! What a joy is this!

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a fan of Spurgeon. I always enjoy reading his sermons and devotionals. I forgot that he was also a cigar smoker!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    January 19

Mouth Confession; Heart Belief

If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (Romans 10:9)

There must be confession with the mouth. Have I made it? Have I openly avowed my faith in Jesus as the Savior whom God has raised from the dead, and have I done it in God's way! Let me honestly answer this question.

There must also be belief with the heart. Do I sincerely believe in the risen Lord Jesus? Do I trust in Him as my sole hope of salvation? Is this trust from my heart? Let me answer as before God.

If I can truly claim that I have both confessed Christ and believed in Him, then I am saved. The text does not say it may be so, but it is plain as a pikestaff and clear as the sun in the heavens: "Thou shalt be saved." As a believer and a confessor, I may lay my hand on this promise and plead it before the Lord God at this moment, and throughout life, and in the hour of death, and at the Day of Judgment.

I must be saved from the guilt of sin, the power of sin, the punishment of sin, and ultimately from the very being of sin. God hath said it—"Thou shalt be saved." I believe it. I shall be saved. I am saved. Glory be to God forever and ever!

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm an aethiest so Mr. Spurgeon and I would have little in common in terms of theism, but I really enjoyed the logic in his response. I imagine Mr. Spurgeon and I would have gotten along quite nicely. I will seek out some of his literature.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Well done with a great message, keep writing and I will learn as I am currently doing from the gift of your book.

January 21, 2014

This Evening's Meditation
    C. H. Spurgeon

"He was sore athirst, and called on the Lord, and said, Thou hast given this great deliverance into the hand of Thy servant: and now shall I die for thirst?"—Judges 15:18.

SAMSON was thirsty and ready to die. The difficulty was totally different from any which the hero had met before. Merely to get thirst assuaged is nothing like so great a matter as to be delivered from a thousand Philistines! but when the thirst was upon him, Samson felt that little present difficulty more weighty than the great past difficulty out of which he had so specially been delivered. It is very usual for God's people, when they have enjoyed a great deliverance, to find a little trouble too much for them. Samson slays a thousand Philistines, and piles them up in heaps, and then faints for a little water! Jacob wrestles with God at Peniel, and overcomes Omnipotence itself, and then goes "halting on his thigh!" Strange that there must be a shrinking of the sinew whenever we win the day. As if the Lord must teach us our littleness, our nothingness, in order to keep us within bounds. Samson boasted right loudly when he said, "I have slain a thousand men." His boastful throat soon grew hoarse with thirst, and he betook himself to prayer. God has many ways of humbling His people. Dear child of God, if after great mercy you are laid very low, your case is not an unusual one. When David had mounted the throne of Israel, he said, "I am this day weak, though anointed king." You must expect to feel weakest when you are enjoying your greatest triumph. If God has wrought for you great deliverances in the past, your present difficulty is only like Samson's thirst, and the Lord will not let you faint, nor suffer the daughter of the uncircumcised to triumph over you. The road of sorrow is the road to heaven, but there are wells of refreshing water all along the route. So, tried brother, cheer your heart with Samson's words, and rest assured that God will deliver you ere long.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Amen! Throughout my trials many times I was weak and faltered but God saw fit to give me just enough strength to overcome and prevail! No more, no less, just enough.

January 25

He Acts on Honest Confession

He looketh upon men, and if any say, I have sinned, and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not; he will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light. (Job 33:27-28)

This is a word of truth, gathered from the experience of a man of God, and it is tantamount to a promise. What the Lord has done, and is doing, He will continue to do while the world standeth. The Lord will receive into His bosom all who come to Him with a sincere confession of their sin; in fact, He is always on the lookout to discover any that are in trouble because of their faults.

Can we not endorse the language here used? Have we not sinned, sinned personally so as to say, "I have sinned"? Sinned willfully, having perverted that which is right? Sinned so as to discover that there is no profit in it but an eternal loss? Let us, then, go to God with this honest acknowledgment. He asks no more. We can do no less.

Let us plead His promise in the name of Jesus. He will deliver us from the pit of hell which yawns for us; He will grant us life and light. Why should we despair? Why should we even doubt? The Lord does not mock humble souls. He means what He says. The guilty can be forgiven. Those who deserve execution can receive free pardon. Lord, we confess, and we pray Thee to forgive!

• Puff_Dougie:
    Charles Haddon Spurgeon (19 June 1834 – 31 January 1892) was a British Baptist minister, well known for his eloquent sermons, prolific writing, and his love of good cigars. Once accused by Dr. Dwight Pentecost of engaging in "sinful" activity by smoking, he famously replied:

“Well, dear friends, you know that some men can do to the glory of God what to other men would be sin. And notwithstanding what brother Pentecost has said, I intend to smoke a good cigar to the glory of God before I go to bed tonight. If anybody can show me in the Bible the command, ‘Thou shalt not smoke,’ I am ready to keep it; but I haven’t found it yet. I find Ten Commandments, and it’s as much as I can do to keep them; and I’ve no desire to make them into eleven or twelve." In addition to his regular preaching services and charity work in London, Mr. Spurgeon published a number of daily devotionals. I thought it might be a worthy thing to begin a thread in honor of this venerable BOTL, sharing his brief messages which have been published under the title of "Faith's Checkbook."

January 18

Christ and His Children

When thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed. (Isaiah 53:10)

Our Lord Jesus has not died in vain. His death was sacrificial: He died as our substitute, because death was the penalty of our sins. Because His substitution was accepted of God, He has saved those for whom He made His soul a sacrifice. By death He became like the corn of wheat which bringeth forth much fruit. There must be a succession of children unto Jesus; He is "the Father of the everlasting age." He shall say, "Behold, I and the children whom Thou hast given me."

A man is honored in his sons, and Jesus hath His quiver full of these arrows of the mighty. A man is represented in his children, and so is the Christ in Christians. In his seed a man's life seems to be prolonged and extended; and so is the life of Jesus continued in believers.

Jesus lives, for He sees His seed. He fixes His eye on us, He delights in us, He recognizes us as the fruit of His soul travail. Let us be glad that our Lord does not fail to enjoy the result of His dread sacrifice, and that He will never cease to feast His eyes upon the harvest of His death. Those eyes which once wept for us are now viewing us with pleasure. Yes, He looks upon those who are looking unto Him. Our eyes meet! What a joy is this!

Is this Thread only for sermons by Charles Haddon Spurgeon?
    RebelAngel:
    Is this Thread only for sermons by Charles Haddon Spurgeon?
    Didn't really start it with any rules in mind. Idea was sparked by the fact that CHS was somewhat controversial because of his open enjoyment of cigars, and thus a tribute to him here seemed appropriate. Since he published very brief daily devotionals, I thought I might post them here from time to time as a tribute. Figured some might enjoy and appreciate his messages, and others might interact with them.

With that as the background, if you're inclined to post something from another source, I have no problem with that.
    Spurgeon on Being Too Easily Offended

"Little pots soon boil over; and I have known some professing Christians, who are such very little pots, that the smallest fire has made them boil over. When you never meant anything to hurt their feelings, they have been terribly hurt. The simplest remark has been taken as an insult, and a construction put upon things that never was intended, and they make their brethren offenders for a word, or for half a word, ay, and even for not saying a word."
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Feeling a little Spurgeon-ney tonight. Puffing away and writing a sermon.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I am a Spurgeon fan
    February 6

Blessing in the City

If thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the Lord thy God, blessed shalt thou be in the city. (Deuteronomy 28:2-3)

The city is full of care, and he who has to go there from day to day finds it to be a place of great wear and tear. It is full of noise, and stir, and bustle, and sore travail; many are its temptations, losses, and worries. But to go there with the divine blessing takes off the edge of its difficulty; to remain there with that blessing is to find pleasure in its duties and strength equal to its demands.

A blessing in the city may not make us great, but it will keep us good; it may not make us rich, but it will preserve us honest. Whether we are porters, or clerks, or managers, or merchants, or magistrates, the city will afford us opportunities for usefulness. It is good fishing where there are shoals of fish, and it is hopeful to work for our Lord amid the thronging crowds. We might prefer the quiet of a country life; but if called to town, we may certainly prefer it because there is room for our energies.

Today let us expect good things because of this promise, and let our care be to have an open ear to the voice of the Lord and a ready hand to execute His bidding. Obedience brings the blessing. "In keeping his commandments there is great reward."

February 8

Joyful Security

I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. (Isaiah 41:10)

Fear of falling is wholesome. To be venturesome is no sign of wisdom. Times come to us when we feel that we must go down unless we have a very special support. Here we have it. God's right hand is a grand thing to lean upon. Mind, it is not only His hand, though it keepeth heaven and earth in their places, but His right hand: His power united with skill, His power where it is most dexterous. Nay, this is not all; it is written, "I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." That hand which He uses to maintain His holiness and to execute His royal sentences—this shall be stretched out to hold up His trusting ones. Fearful is our danger, but joyful is our security. The man whom God upholds, devils cannot throw down.

Weak may be our feet, but almighty is God's right hand. Rough may be the road, but Omnipotence is our upholding. We may boldly go forward. We shall not fall. Let us lean continually where all things lean. God will not withdraw His strength, for His righteousness is there as well. He will be faithful to His promise, and faithful to His Son, and therefore faithful to us. How happy we ought to be! Are we not so?

A few miscellaneous quotes from Spurgeon's writings...

“If you are renewed by grace, and were to meet your old self, I am sure you would be very anxious to get out of his company.”

“A Bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t.”

“The way to do a great deal is to keep on doing a little. The way to do nothing at all is to be continually resolving that you will do everything.”

“There is hardship in everything, except eating pancakes.”

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name."

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:

“If you are renewed by grace, and were to meet your old self, I am sure you would be very anxious to get out of his company.”

“The way to do a great deal is to keep on doing a little. The way to do nothing at all is to be continually resolving that you will do everything.”

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name."

I really like that third one. I definitely relate to that problem. But man, if you've never had a hardship brought on by about three too many pancakes, you haven't eaten pancakes! lol
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Puff_Dougie:

I really like that third one. I definitely relate to that problem. But man, if you've never had a hardship brought on by about three too many pancakes, you haven't eaten pancakes! lol

Define three too many. Three more than my wife thinks I should have and I'm fine. Three more than the restaurant brings, I'm fine. Three more than I say I'm going to have and I'm fine. And are we talking buttermilk, blueberry, or chocolate chip? Mix? Homemade? Cracker Barrel (I like the crispy edges the do so well.)

Good quotes, all.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Faith's Check Book, Daily Entry
    C. H. Spurgeon

Honor God

Them that honor me I will honor. (1 Samuel 2:30)

Do I make the honor of God the great object of my life and the rule of my conduct? If so, He will honor me. I may for a while receive no honor from man, but God will Himself put honor upon me in the most effectual manner. In the end it will be found the surest way to honor to be willing to be put to shame for conscience' sake.

Eli had not honored the Lord by ruling his household well, and his sons had not honored the Lord by behavior worthy of their sacred office, and therefore the Lord did not honor them but took the high priesthood out of their family and made young Samuel to be ruler in the land instead of any of their line. If I would have my family ennobled, I must honor the Lord in all things. God may allow the wicked to win worldly honors; but the dignity which He Himself gives, even glory, honor, and immortality, He reserves for those who by holy obedience take care to honor Him.

What can I do this day to honor the Lord? I will promote His glory by my spoken testimony and by my practical obedience, I will also honor Him with my substance and by offering to Him some special service. Let me sit down and think how I can honor Him, since He will honor me.

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    I think that He greatly appreciates it when we thank Him for the little things. Its easy to honor him when the "big thing" comes around, but its the little everyday things that make me praise His name on a regular basis. We are still breathing...
    One God, One Truth
    Divine Recompense

He that watereth shall be watered also himself. (Proverbs 11:25)

If I carefully consider others, God will consider me, and in some way or other He will recompense me. Let me consider the poor, and the Lord will consider me. Let me look after little children, and the Lord will treat me as His child. Let me feed His flock, and He will feed me. Let me water His garden, and He will make a watered garden of my soul. This is the Lord's own promise; be it mine to fulfill the condition and then to expect its fulfillment.

I may care about myself till I grow morbid; I may watch over my own feelings till I feel nothing; and I may lament my own weakness till I grow almost too weak to lament. It will be far more profitable for me to become unselfish and out of love to my Lord Jesus begin to care for the souls of those around me. My tank is getting very low; no fresh rain comes to fill it; what shall I do? I will pull up the plug and let its contents run out to water the withering plants around me. What do I see? My cistern seems to fill as it flows. A secret spring is at work. While all was stagnant, the fresh spring was sealed; but as my stock Rows out to water others the Lord thinketh upon me. Hallelujah!

Spurgeon on the Resurrection of Jesus...

Does it not strike you that very many events of the greatest importance recorded in history, and commonly believed, could not in the nature of things have been witnessed by one-tenth as many as the Resurrection of Christ? The signing of famous treaties affecting nations—the births of princes—the remarks of cabinet ministers—the projects of conspirators—and the deeds of assassins—any and all of these have been made turning points in history, and are never questioned as facts, and yet, few could have been present to witness them! I venture to assert that even the most recent political event, which has caused so much sorrow to our whole nation—the death of the lamented Prince Albert—had not nearly as many witnesses as the Resurrection of Christ! If it came to a matter of dispute, it was far easier to prove that Christ is risen, than to prove that the Prince is dead! If it came to the counting of the witnesses who saw the Prince die, and could attest the identity of the body now resting in the royal vault with that which they saw fever-stricken in the bed-chamber, it strikes me they would turn out to be far fewer than those who saw the Lord after He had risen, and were persuaded that it was Jesus of Nazareth who was Crucified and had burst the bonds of death!

• ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome! Thanks Doug, reminds me of Lee Strobel's Case for Christ.

Hope you don't mind me thread jacking, but here is a quote on the resurrection from Martin Luther...

Know ye, then - sin, death, devil, and everything that assails me - that you are missing the mark. I am not one of those who are afraid of you. For Christ, my dear Lord, has presented to me that triumph and victory of His by which you were laid low. And from this very gift of His I derive my name and am called a Christian. There is no other reason. My sin and death hung about His neck on Good Friday, but on the day of Easter they had completely disappeared. This victory He has bestowed on me. This is why I do not worry about you!
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,184 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Doug and Brad, for the great quotes. I'm printing them off and using them in church tomorrow during the open-mic testimony time.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis