Home Non Cigar Related

Big scare today

New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
So, today was a beautiful day. Temp around 65, bright and sunny blue skies. We had some running around to do...finished that up. On the way home, I asked if we could take the dog (Great Dane) to the dog park. Of course its a good idea, so we grab the dog and head to the park.

Fast forward an hour into dog play
All is going quite well, everyone is getting along great. My dog had a tennis ball to play with, and he dropped it near another (MUCH smaller) dog. A few other dogs came over to see what was going on, and the smaller dog started barking and snipping at my dogs face...headed for the ball. My dog being about 20x of this dog, barked, growled...the dog was still in his face. So...he did what any dog would do, and grabbed him. Which, no I do not condone, but I do understand.

He did puncture the skin in one spot, but he did not do the "death shake". He could have crushed that little guy if he wanted to. We got them separated, and my dog leashed. He calmly walked away right by my side, didn't even look back at the other dog.

Fast forward a bit more.
Were talking to the other dogs owner in the parking lot. We trade information, and (so we though) are under agreement to handle this like adults. We told her to have her vet check out the dog, and we will foot the bill. I thought that was the right thing to do.

It seems she did not agree, she called the MP's on us. They come over, my dog is being his normal super-social self and just trying for love and pet's. If he wasn't getting petted, he just layed on the floor.
We talk to them about what happened, and say her dog attacked first. They step out, make a call. When they came back in, they say they are not taking the dog. We asked about her dog, since that was our main concern. The MP said when he was at her house, her dog was growling and barking the entire time he was there.

So, end of the day everything worked out. Though, I don't think we will be visiting the dog park any time soon.

Comments

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Amazing how people can't handle problems like reasonable adults. I'm losing more and more faith in humanity by the day.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Great Danes are awesome. We have a blue, and love him. (The big baby).
    One God, One Truth
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    roland_7707:
    Great Danes are awesome. We have a blue, and love him. (The big baby).
    Mine's a big baby too. We have a fawn.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad that worked out for you. And your little dog too. LOL I'm glad the MPs got to see her dog being a jerk and yours being a sweetheart. LOL I have one Azzhole jerk of a dog. She's the smallest one of our pack too but she tries to pick all the fights.
    Funny thing is my Beagle puts the Dane in his place daily.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    The bigger the dog, the bigger the baby... the smaller the dog the bigger the aggression. Cocker spaniels are one of the biggest biters around.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Glad to hear it worked out, I have a small Chihuahua right at 9 years old and 4-5 lbs, she is NUTS she will pick a fight with Anything, we cant take her out for walks or to the park, she is such a loving quiet soul alone with us in the house, but around others, humans & dogs becomes cujo, I don't know if it related to her first year (we rescued her from a pup being kicked and starved by her original owner), its been 9 years and nothing we do helps, tried training, shock collars, treats, we just don't take her out anymore unless its just for a ride in the car where she stays in it with us, lucky for her we have a 1/2 acre lot so Plenty of (6' fenced) back yard, but I would hate to have another person feel bad for there dog hurting her and it totally being my dogs fault
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Crap like that is why I hated living on post. We had this *** in out neighborhood that was super anti-bulldog. Obi, our Antebellum Bulldog, was registered with housing and everything, but she still somehoe found out our cell phone number and called us to harass us about him. We came home one day and found the back gate open (we didn't have a padlock on it back then) and Obi gone. The vet clinic had him (substitutes for an on-post pound as well). When we called them to find out if he was there, the conversation went like this:

"Hello, our dog got out and we were hoping he was there. He's about 60 lbs, blue and white, and should have a black collar on."

"Great big head and won't stop licking the *** out of everyone?"

"That would be him."

"Yeah, he's here. One of the friendliest dogs we've ever had to catch."

That time, we thought maybe we had forgot to latch the gate when we took the trash out that morning. Then, two days later, exact same thing happened. On post, if your dog gets out 3 times, you have to get rid of him, regardless of breed or anything. We knew it was that *** unlatching our gate to try and get us in trouble so we would have to get rid of him. We ended up putting a padlock on the gate.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people have to have something to hate. It always amazes me when they pick dogs.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Upon further investigation, my dog has bite marks on the bottom of his chin. So, BING...he got bit first.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many times have I heard and seen a mad little dog with a Napoleon complex do the same thing..? It is a good thing the MPs that responded were observant and listened.

It will be interesting to see her reaction if she ever returns to the park.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have two fairly big rescue dogs we bring to a dog park in Greenville from time to time. Our dogs are very pet friendly and play nice with dogs of all sizes.

I have to say that one of the friendliest breeds is the Great Dane. I have found that they are usually bigs clowns and love to play with other dogs and people. One of the cutest things I ever saw, and it was before I had my cell with the video, was this gigundo Great Dane playing with this little puppy. He was prancing around and the puppy was running in and out of the big dog's legs. I guess that's why I love animals.

Update: The MP's were out again, I guess the report was filed improperly. My dog (and hers) is headed to the vet today, and will stay for a few days. She is threating to sue in small claims court. It took her a full 24hrs to take her dog to the vet, and even then she chose to go to the Kansas St. Univ. 24hr emergency vet. She is now claiming she is having "nightmares, and wakes up screaming".
    She will probably bring the little dog to court sedated and she will say it is because the little dog needs it, when in fact it will be because she won't want everyone to see how nasty the dog is.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Jesus man, sorry to hear about all this. I hate people like that.
  • That's good all is well with your dog; freaking ridiculous that she would call MPs. Sure wish I could give her a piece of my mind. Would of told her to keep her dog on the porch since it can't hang with the big boys.
    New update: my dog is in doggy lock up. 10 days, mandatory. gonna run my around $230
  • No ***???????? That's F'd up brother. I would definitely take her A$$ to small claims court.

RIDICULOUS
    Make sure the next time you go to the park you let everyone know what happened and look for witnesses.
    Well, that sucks. What about her dog? The one that started the fight? They gonna do any punishment on that end?
    Bob Luken:
    Well, that sucks. What about her dog? The one that started the fight? They gonna do any punishment on that end?
    Hers is supposed to go into doggie jail too.
    New Boots:
    Bob Luken:
    Hers is supposed to go into doggie jail too.
    Wonder if she now wishes she hadn't reported it? Probably.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    That's lame. I don't see how this makes people want to use the park
    Update: Vet called, doggie jail is for dogs who bite people, not dogs
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    Sounds like an Army program....nobody knows how it works.
    New Boots:
    So does this mean no jail time? I hope.
    Bob Luken:
    New Boots:
    So does this mean no jail time? I hope.
    No jail time, picking him up soon
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I have eight large breed- crossbred dogs roaming my property and a few day's back three dogs, one being a Great Pyrenees, came by our home and naturally the dogs piled up. As I was trying to gather up my dogs the Pyrenees would attack from behind and drag one of my dogs back into a fight. Now let me state here that my dogs while not taught to fight, know without a doubt just what to do to a larger dog, they go for the front legs and throat. After several attempts to control my dogs while the owners of the others just watched and poked fun at my dogs, I just let them all go. The meanest one, a five pound Chihuahua ended what had begun. Then the people had the nerve to ask why I hadn't broken up the fight!
    Some people just bug me!

RBeckom:
    I have eight large breed- crossbred dogs roaming my property and a few day's back three dogs, one being a Great Pyrenees, came by our home and naturally the dogs piled up. As I was trying to gather up my dogs the Pyrenees would attack from behind and drag one of my dogs back into a fight. Now let me state here that my dogs while not taught to fight, know without a doubt just what to do to a larger dog, they go for the front legs and throat. After several attempts to control my dogs while the owners of the others just watched and poked fun at my dogs, I just let them all go. The meanest one, a five pound Chihuahua ended what had begun. Then the people had the nerve to ask why I hadn't broken up the fight!
    Some people just bug me!

Sounds like the same situation, generally. She stood there, wailing like a banshee...while, my wife, another random lady, and myself tried to break it up.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    RBeckom:
    Some people just bug me!

Sounds like the same situation, generally. She stood there, wailing like a banshee...while, my wife, another random lady, and myself tried to break it up.

Funny how quickly people become offended when their dog or dogs get the worst of a situation. To make it even funnier, they have a small female goat that I rescued two days ago and made sure it returned home safely after a neighbors dogs had killed they're whole heard except this one baby.
    Go figure!