Home General Discussion
Options

Can anyone but you access your account

bearbbearb Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭
With the passing of a well respected and long time botl of this community, got me to wondering. Do anyone else but me have access to my account here...and the answer for me is no. So how would anyone share that information with the online community and botls here or elsewhere. I guess i would just disappear and no one would know any details. Just some random thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Well, if you don't sign out you can just open your browser and go to the forum. I thought of this too. I rarely sign out since I'm the only one on my computer.
  • Options
    curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    bearb:
    With the passing of a well respected and long time botl of this community, got me to wondering. Do anyone else but me have access to my account here...and the answer for me is no. So how would anyone share that information with the online community and botls here or elsewhere. I guess i would just disappear and no one would know any details. Just some random thoughts.
    My wife and I have separate usernames on our computer. She knows my password and if she opens my browser I have the password saved in there. The question is, would she think to log on to let everyone know? I really doubt it.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Well, if you don't sign out you can just open your browser and go to the forum. I thought of this too. I rarely sign out since I'm the only one on my computer.
    +1
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who deals with life insurance, I am often sitting down with families after a loved one passes. Too many times, the family finds themselves dealing with an absolute mess. It's amazing how many folks don't keep good records of their financial accounts, or keep a master file with recent statements and account numbers. In addition to grieving over the loss of someone dear, the family is then also overwhelmed with trying to track down and identify the assets that were left behind.

The increasing use of social media adds a whole new layer of complexity to these issues, as a person who dies leaves behind any number of online accounts on which they may have been active, had personal relationships, or (in the case of interactive forums like CCOM) been in the middle of transactions with other people.

Clearly, Beatnic did a great job of keeping his family up to speed on his connections. They knew this forum was an important part of his life, and were able to access his account and notify his friends here of his passing.

I counsel people to keep a detailed list of their active financial accounts, including account numbers, passwords, names and phone numbers of agents, and named beneficiaries - and to make sure their children know it exists and where it is kept.

I'm now thinking of expanding that list to include online accounts on which the person is active, with URL addresses, usernames and passwords.

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think my wife would just create an account and pass on the news if she couldn't log in.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    smoke em if you got em:
    Rain:
    +1
    I have a few guys that I herf with often, and they are instructed to leave my collection complete and get together and have herfs smoking my cigars. Everyone on the forums would of course be invited to join them
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Trident:
    I have a few guys that I herf with often, and they are instructed to leave my collection complete and get together and have herfs smoking my cigars. Everyone on the forums would of course be invited to join them
    And 5 years later, we might actually finish smoking them all!!!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Trident:
    And 5 years later, we might actually finish smoking them all!!!
    well, then i will be forgotten after 5 years...maybe you can keep my monolith up then...
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    My wife knows that I am active here and on other forums, plus I have a lifelong friend who is a member of this board. We don't even talk about that kind of thing because we are so young but I think she would spread the word. But the people who know me at my B&M would be clueless.....man are other hobbies this involved? I have collected and read comics for years and not even thought to befriend those that I interact with in that hobby.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    My wife knows that I am active here and on other forums, plus I have a lifelong friend who is a member of this board. We don't even talk about that kind of thing because we are so young but I think she would spread the word. But the people who know me at my B&M would be clueless.....man are other hobbies this involved? I have collected and read comics for years and not even thought to befriend those that I interact with in that hobby.
    I think this hobby is unique on a number of levels. The cigar experience is an interactive and social experience... much more enjoyable when shared with fellow enthusiasts.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Puff_Dougie:
    As someone who deals with life insurance, I am often sitting down with families after a loved one passes. Too many times, the family finds themselves dealing with an absolute mess. It's amazing how many folks don't keep good records of their financial accounts, or keep a master file with recent statements and account numbers. In addition to grieving over the loss of someone dear, the family is then also overwhelmed with trying to track down and identify the assets that were left behind.

The increasing use of social media adds a whole new layer of complexity to these issues, as a person who dies leaves behind any number of online accounts on which they may have been active, had personal relationships, or (in the case of interactive forums like CCOM) been in the middle of transactions with other people.

Clearly, Beatnic did a great job of keeping his family up to speed on his connections. They knew this forum was an important part of his life, and were able to access his account and notify his friends here of his passing.

I counsel people to keep a detailed list of their active financial accounts, including account numbers, passwords, names and phone numbers of agents, and named beneficiaries - and to make sure their children know it exists and where it is kept.

I'm now thinking of expanding that list to include online accounts on which the person is active, with URL addresses, usernames and passwords.

Probably one of the better posts as to what we need to do as families....times can be hard enough with somebody who passes but it's even more chaotic when information becomes critical to the survivors. Finances are important as well as anything that has to do with being able to do get through the quagmire of things...Living Trusts are invaluable as things are written down so that survivors don't have to go through Probate issues. Things like passwords and other details should be written down as well and put into a packet for survivors to deal with as well. It's sad enough to deal with loss but even more so when it becomes a hide and seek for those who pick up the pieces of their lives and try to move forward.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:

And this is what made Beatnic a one of a kind.
    The fact that his family knew his relationship to this forum and the people here speaks loads for the type of person he was.

The fact that his family felt it important enough to let us know speaks very highly of them. In my book anyways.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.