Home General Discussion
Options

Humidor question for small loss of RH

flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
As im driving in to work this morning, i had a thought regarding small seal leaks in humidors. I remember back in the day watching wood workers seal cabinet doors with wax. Do they make a wax stick that could help a dollar bill test pass? Just a thought!!

Comments

• Options
    Well Damn, I guess that was a non-idea!!
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Sorry Brother, I know A great deal about wood finishing products/coatings, but am new to humidor help, I can tell you how to refinish almost anything :) but not sure how any of it would relate to (messing up) cigar smell's/flavor in the long run
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    how bad is a "Small Seal" leak? like you can see light through it or just not tight enough? I have found that running your finger over the sealing edges with a dab of DW will healp swell the seal back up. I have a cheeap-o 25 count that i do this too ever time i check her out. has been stabil ever since.

Aj
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Most probably won't like this answer but here goes: buy a good humidor and wasting money on humidors that are 25 or 50 count is just that...wasteful. Most aren't made worth a dime and will have issues with them. We're better off putting cigars in a large ziploc or tupperware than to buy these cheap things made in China or some 3rd world country. Are there name brand humis around...yes and you can buy them but you know that this is a hobby that you're going to buy cigars so buy something that at least starts with a 150 count size. It's hard to regulate something like a 25 or 50 count unless it has a great seal to it and even then...it's a small humidor. Save your money...get a large Rubbermaid that is 2.5 gallon size and costs about $10...it holds about 200 cigars and you line the bottom with cedar and use a boveda pak or KL or beads.
  • Options
    honorknight7:
    Sorry Brother, I know A great deal about wood finishing products/coatings, but am new to humidor help, I can tell you how to refinish almost anything :) but not sure how any of it would relate to (messing up) cigar smell's/flavor in the long run
    Thanks honorknight,
    I was thinking of using a non-scented candle or a wax stick, but I cant find a wax stick, so I guess I will attempt a little rubbing on the back edge of my humidor. I think I have a small leak in the back by the hinges, Its small but wont hold up to 68%. I had 67% for 2 weeks and now it seems that its stable at 60%
    The only variable I have had is, I have been opening it a lot latelty to set my trade and bombs boxes up. I only opened it once every 2 days before that. Cant hurt to try.
  • Options
    Cigary:
    Most probably won't like this answer but here goes: buy a good humidor and wasting money on humidors that are 25 or 50 count is just that...wasteful. Most aren't made worth a dime and will have issues with them. We're better off putting cigars in a large ziploc or tupperware than to buy these cheap things made in China or some 3rd world country. Are there name brand humis around...yes and you can buy them but you know that this is a hobby that you're going to buy cigars so buy something that at least starts with a 150 count size. It's hard to regulate something like a 25 or 50 count unless it has a great seal to it and even then...it's a small humidor. Save your money...get a large Rubbermaid that is 2.5 gallon size and costs about $10...it holds about 200 cigars and you line the bottom with cedar and use a boveda pak or KL or beads.
    I will be honest here,
    I like an honest answer; I would rather have you tell me true than blow smoke up my ass!!!
    This is my first Humidor, and it is small (50 count), my cigar education started here, so in all actuality, I wouldn't have known the difference of what was cheap or decent for the money until you guys helped me
    Thankyou for your reply!!!
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    how bad is a "Small Seal" leak? like you can see light through it or just not tight enough? I have found that running your finger over the sealing edges with a dab of DW will healp swell the seal back up. I have a cheeap-o 25 count that i do this too ever time i check her out. has been stabil ever since.

Aj
    Thanks Doc,
    I don't see any light, I just think from opening it and closing it its wearing in, and I am losing a little RH.
    I will keep an eye on it
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere in the forum (or possibly elsewhere) that someone had recommended using painters tape around the seal. It can be removed easily with no residue left behind. It's worth a try.
  • Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    CharlieHeis:
    I read somewhere in the forum (or possibly elsewhere) that someone had recommended using painters tape around the seal. It can be removed easily with no residue left behind. It's worth a try.
    remember that myself from somewhere here also,
    If you did want to try the "wax" you can usually get some from your local lumberyard/cabinet shop, they use it for older style drawers to make them "slide" easy, or craft stores sometimes

one of my first posts here was about humidor trouble (I get a cigar 2-4 times a day depending if wife smokes with me or not) and they couldn't keep up Rh with that, someone recommended Tupperware or cooler, I went right into (two) coolers - 1 for my wife's flavored and another for mine, use 69 beads in each, and its been great ever since
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I'm with Doc Frank on this… a little dw on the seal usually swells the wood just enough to tighten things up. A cheap and easy fix to try first before you go to more desperate measures.
  • Options
    CharlieHeis:
    Just taped it, we will see how it reacts, Ty for the tip
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigary is right about the smaller cheap humis being a waste of money. In my experience they have been hit or miss as far as being able to keep humidity. I have one 50 count that works well and two that struggle. Especially this winter. However I have a couple of larger cheap humidors that have been much better. A 100 count and a 120 count (I think). And Cigary is also right about us being better off using rubbermaid containers. Sure, they don't look as pretty but they function better than a leaky wood box.
  • Options
    First one is the worst one, it was a nice gift. Now. Ill take my BOTL brothers advice and get a reliable way of storage. Thankyou everyone
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    flowbee:
    First one is the worst one, it was a nice gift. Now. Ill take my BOTL brothers advice and get a reliable way of storage. Thankyou everyone
    We have all started there. I have a couple of them sitting on the shelf empty for the same reasons. This can be a very deceiving hobby for someone just getting into it. Lot of great advertisement and marketing. Read through the forums and make your own decisions before expanding. That humi will get you through until you figure out what you want next.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's not all gloom and doom. Try a layer of blue painters tape. It's worth a shot. And try the distilled water trick too. Either one might fix you right up. We just want you to be aware of the stuff that goes wrong from our own experiences.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    If I had a 25 or 50, it would be my smoking humidor.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Right on the money Sir! Thats exactly what i do with my little one... yea it sucks, but i dont keep anything fancy in there... some yard-gars and maybe one or 2 that i will be smoking later that night. helps to keep your fingers from opening the good one too much!

Aj
  • Options
    biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    CharlieHeis:
    I did this to my desktop humidor and it worked well. It was a cheap 75 count which worked wonders until winter hit and it got dry out. I used the dollar bill test to find the side which didn't seal properly. Used 2 layers of the painters tape and then passed the dollar bill test.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Yeah, it's not all gloom and doom. Try a layer of blue painters tape. It's worth a shot. And try the distilled water trick too. Either one might fix you right up. We just want you to be aware of the stuff that goes wrong from our own experiences.
    Yep I am learning as I go. Thanks Bob, sometimes I try too hard, basically I need to slow down a little and read more!!
  • Options
    biodarwin:
    CharlieHeis:
    I did this to my desktop humidor and it worked well. It was a cheap 75 count which worked wonders until winter hit and it got dry out. I used the dollar bill test to find the side which didn't seal properly. Used 2 layers of the painters tape and then passed the dollar bill test.
    I did this as well, and I will bag my cigars and follow the guide Catfish posted, Thanks Bio
  • Options
    Rain:
    One day I seriously hope to be in a position to have a smoking humidor!!
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Cigar101
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Cigar101
    See me trollin'...they hatin'...