Home Cigar 101
Options

Runaway humidifier

2»

Comments

• Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    If you would run a fan, it would convectively cool the outside which should lead to some onductive cooling on the inside. How much, IDK. What do you have the temperature set at in your house? Reason I ask is that my humidor is a few degrees cooler than the rest of my house. Also, you've probably already done this, but make sure the humi is out of any sunlight and preferably at the coolest part of your home. If your humidity is OK, the higher temps should not lead to beetles, but is still too warm for ideal storing and resting of your cigars.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thermostat is set at 71 but only runs at night. I had my humidors on shelves in my closet and took them out. Now they have a ceiling fan blowing on them constantly but my temps continue to rise. I am getting close to 75 degrees now and am not sure what to do. They are out of sunlight.
  • Options
    nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    The thermostat is set at 71 but only runs at night. I had my humidors on shelves in my closet and took them out. Now they have a ceiling fan blowing on them constantly but my temps continue to rise. I am getting close to 75 degrees now and am not sure what to do. They are out of sunlight.

I have 3 humidors, one for aging, and two for the rest. Nothing huge or fancy. But they are stacked on top of each other in my closet. The bottom one reads a temp of 64 degrees, the middle at 66 degrees, and the top one (aging humi) at 68 degrees. Heat rises and the one on the floor stays the coolest.
    I'm not sure if this will help, but it works for me.
  • Options
    This is driving me nuts. last night I had them on the floor in my bedroom and away from vents. It gets cold at night too. I have them out on my bed under a ceiling fan and I am now over 75 degrees. I have had them in my closet all year and stayed at a steady 70 degrees. Why all of the sudden is the temp going nuts? I have moved them all over the house trying to find a cool place but the temp keeps rising. The only change from earlier in the year is that they are packed with cigars.

You guys have me seriously freaked out about tobacco beetles and my temp rising is worrying me. I can't leave the lids open and lose my humidity. Should I maybe put them in my garage?
  • Options
    There has to be a reason for your temp increase. I personally would not stick them in the garage as the drastic temp change could be quite the shock to the cigars. Plus, that would only be a short term solution, as it will be freezing before too long. Why not try turning your thermostat down a few degrees and see if that helps at all?
  • Options
    BTW, in a previous post, I recall you said something about having two humidors, yes? What is the other doing?
  • Options
    I placed them in my unfinished basement which is noticeably cooler but not freezing. The room has a vent. Like I said the only thing that has changed is the amount of cigars. We have the thermostat set at 71 degrees but we always have the ceiling fan going. The closet is usually cooler then the rest of the room. I might keep the basement door open so more air circulates through there.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I would smack the woman around first, I only keep the thermostat at 60*F

Secondly I'd try a different thermo. I had one that was getting way off and a fresh battery cleared it right up... It's hard to believe that if the stat in your home is at 70* that your humi could be higher.... especially if ambient temps are much lower
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    I would smack the woman around first, I only keep the thermostat at 60*F

Secondly I'd try a different thermo. I had one that was getting way off and a fresh battery cleared it right up... It's hard to believe that if the stat in your home is at 70* that your humi could be higher.... especially if ambient temps are much lower
    She keeps the thermostat at 60.........in the summer. no crap you can hang meat in my house. We have it at 71 because of the new baby. Both of my hygrometers are reading the same temp. I have switched them around and double checked them. I also do not understand why my humidor would be several degrees warmer then my ambient air in the house. I left them on the stairs last night down towards the basement and they have both dropped to 68. I put them back up in the bedroom to see what happens. Also noticed 1 does need a new battery.
  • Options
    So I put them back in my bedroom which is very comfortable and the temp goes back up to 74-75 degrees. It is not that hot in my house. IDK what to think. Is there a way to test the temp on these?
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    So I put them back in my bedroom which is very comfortable and the temp goes back up to 74-75 degrees. It is not that hot in my house. IDK what to think. Is there a way to test the temp on these?
    Any basic thermometer would work, one around the house or a meat thermometer if it goes low enough would work...

If your desperate leave it outside your bank for a couple hours and then run out and check your hygros and see if they match the big giant temp sign!!!