Home General Discussion

Sick

So I was looking forward to having a cigar after some football today.
I woke up with a really raw sore throat. Im not sure Im going to light one up or not.

What are your limits on smoking when sick?

Comments

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Fourtotheflush:
    I woke up with a really raw sore throat. Im not sure Im going to light one up or not.

Most of the time if I burn one while sick it just doesn't taste the same. Maybe its because I'm sick or just distracted. If I were going to burn one I would smoke a middle of the road stick not one of my favorites but still one I enjoy just in case the flavors off or you can't finish it. And oh yeah get well soon man ...sore throats suck !!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Cigars are too expensive to waste when you can't enjoy them fully.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I don't. It's usually pretty irritating, but I can never taste or smell anything. Assuming we're talking about something cold/flu like that affects the ear, nose, or throat that is.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Yea, as bad as it sucks, I usually hold off until I'm back to where I can fully enjoy the cigar and relax. Plus I usually drink bourbon with my cigars, and liquor and cold meds don't mix well! haha
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    ugh, sorry to hear that. I hate smoking while sick - tastes nasty most of the time and irritates my throat more than anything else. I wait until I'm 100% better before smoking.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    I recently went on a vacation to the beach and the condo had a large ocean front balcony. The 2nd day I got there I was sick! Not wanting to waste the opportunity to enjoy some sticks I fired up some anyway. The experience was great but I was not able to pick up the subtle notes that cigars give. I did not realize how much your nose really added to the smoke. Im just glad I smoked my Opus X the first night!
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I had pneumonia two weeks ago, and I just didn't smoke. It makes tobacco taste like play-doh to me. And yes, I've eaten play-doh.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    betasynn:
    I had pneumonia two weeks ago, and I just didn't smoke. It makes tobacco taste like play-doh to me. And yes, I've eaten play-doh.

Ha!!!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Fourtotheflush:

Most of the time if I burn one while sick it just doesn't taste the same. Maybe its because I'm sick or just distracted. If I were going to burn one I would smoke a middle of the road stick not one of my favorites but still one I enjoy just in case the flavors off or you can't finish it. And oh yeah get well soon man ...sore throats suck !!
    ... nothing keeps Geno down.. I can't smoke if I am sick.. fortunately I'm never sick.. at least not physically.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've never tried while sick.... but I'm sure that if I was craving a smoke and was sick, I'd stay away... Don't want to aggravate anything
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    yeah, I passed on it today!
  • i know how you feel, had a sore throat for 3 days and was really looking forward to having a few smokes this weekend. oh well i guess they'll just age for another week.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I feel your pain Fourto....Haven't smoked since late Thursday night. Been holed up with a head cold/sinus issues for the past three days.
  • TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    Lay off the smokes and get well.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I feel for ya man, im sick today as well. raw throat, cough, headache
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Damn.. If you are sick, stay off the forums. I don't want to catch anything.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Damn.. If you are sick, stay off the forums. I don't want to catch anything.
    Bah! I'm sick as buggers, and all I can really DO is sit on the forums! Lol...as if I'd be doing anything else anyways
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Stay off the stogies for a few days. The smoke can irritate your throat even more and lengthen the time it takes to get better. Not only that being congested will make you lost your sense of taste for the most part as smell and taste play off each other very heavily. Drink some tea with honey and get some airborne we swear by the stuff here at the office.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    tea and honey + airborne = me relaxing with a cigar sooner....gotcha!
  • i've heard that airborne stuff works wonders. maybe i'll try that because everything else isn't working.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Yea, I went to bed last night with a tore-up stomach, dizzy, and miserable. Not much better today..
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Yea, I went to bed last night with a tore-up stomach, dizzy, and miserable. Not much better today..
    I think I'm gonna not touch my keyboard for a few days... I don't wanna get sick from you guys!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Dude, I am sick too. I had a cold which was getting better but then turned worse into Bronchitis which I get like 4 times a year. Once I get on antibiotics I'll be smoking again. I smoked a lot the past few days so I am laying off until Thursday when we have Cigar night here at the Arsenal.
  • Four, you should have just smoked one. Not like you came to work... a little headcold. you sissy!

Haha, just messing with you, but you have the worst timing for being out.