Home Non Cigar Related

Everyone check your PMs.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
Every single one of you. That is all. :
I know this has been asked before but why is there no PM notification.......?????

Comments

• Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I know this has been asked before but why is there no PM notification.......?????
    Just checked... I got nuthin.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Me too. Now i'm depressed and I'm in the NCR forum. This might end badly.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    Ken Light:
    ^^^^^Bahahahhaaaa!!!^^^^
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    nuttin'
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    I'm not going to check...just to spite you.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    We aren't part of the cool kids. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Echambers:
    jd50ae:
    I'm not going to check...just to spite you.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Im not loved.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    So what did you not send me??? Lol
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got nothing. But it looks like jd50ae hijacked my emoticon. I know it's not copyrighted or anything but - is that cool? :-)

• New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    i got nadda
    jlmarta:
    I got nothing. But it looks like jd50ae hijacked my emoticon. I know it's not copyrighted or anything but - is that cool? :-)

• dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    jd50ae:

I think this may have been one of the best troll posts ever. Who actually got a PM? Lol
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Not Me...
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Doug.. That's how I felt when I clicked over.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    jlmarta:

Hee hee, that's an even better one, JD. Feel free to use whatever you want. I can only use it on other forums where it isn't such a hassle to do so because of all the stupid HTML requirements on CCom.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    That's friggin' funny right there......
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I want to know the same thing also. Usually, it's not hard to add a pm notification.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Haha, this place has 690,380 posts. The third post was "Why don't we have stickies and PM notifications?"
    Rain:
    Haha, this place has 690,380 posts. The third post was "Why don't we have stickies and PM notifications?"

So glad we give you something to do, but, it was already mentioned.
    Yup! A guy mentioned it. You mentioned him mentioning it. I mentioned you mentioning that he mentioned it. Place is crazy!
    jd50ae:
    Rain:

The likely reason is that when they launched this forum program, someone didn't know how to configure it, they did not get the proper modules with it or they had problems with spammers.
    This forum program is actually quite old and there are far more reliable and secure programs out there with a lot more features.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    0patience:
    jd50ae:
    Rain:

The likely reason is that when they launched this forum program, someone didn't know how to configure it, they did not get the proper modules with it or they had problems with spammers.
    This forum program is actually quite old and there are far more reliable and secure programs out there with a lot more features.
    *cough*vBulliten*cough*
    New Boots:
    0patience:
    jd50ae:
    Rain:

*cough*vBulliten*cough*
    phpBBB, vBulletin and Simple Machines are the 3 top rated and used /forum bulletin board programs.
    All 3 are highly configurable and secure. (provided the updates are kept up to date)
    html forums are still out there and available, but hardly ever used anymore, because of the security problems with them.
    This board program, I'm pretty certain is the old NovaBoard program, which is now LayerBulletin.

But all in all, what it amounts to is that changing the board now will lose all the posts or they will have to be converted to one of the newer boards, which is an extensive undertaking.
    And I don't think they are willing to do that.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • EoLEoL Posts: 182
    not i :(
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If things are updated, will all the current posts have to disappear? I don't know much about forums and forum functions, but I want to see this vast library of posts preserved. There are valuable and entertaining posts from as far back as 2008 if you dig around and search certain subjects. I'd rather keep on truckin' with this old obsolete vehicle than to lose all that.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    If things are updated, will all the current posts have to disappear? I don't know much about forums and forum functions, but I want to see this vast library of posts preserved. There are valuable and entertaining posts from as far back as 2008 if you dig around and search certain subjects. I'd rather keep on truckin' with this old obsolete vehicle than to lose all that.
    No, nothing will change. Now, they can accidentally type the code in the wrong spot and screw everything up. If they know what they're doing then that won't happen.
    Bob Luken:
    If they changed to a new forum, then all of the posts would have to be "converted" to the new forum program.
    A new forum program would not "see" the posts in the database without converting its structure.
    The newer forum programs, like vbulletin will convert from one to another, but older forum programs take a little more working to convert it.
    The problem is that the structure of the database of this forum would be different than the structure of the new forum program. If this were a newer popular forum, there are conversions for them.
    It isn't newer, nor popular. So the conversion will most likely have to be done manually or a conversion program made to handle it.
    Not saying it can't be done, but will need to be done by someone who knows databases and how they work.

This forum program is ASP. Newer forum programs are mostly PHP. Different languages.
    While the database information might be the same, the structure will be different, which is where the problems can start.

(The best, while not totally specific way to describe it)
    Think of it like a switchboard for old phones. Let's say post is a phone number.
    This forum dials up posts with specific area codes.
    While newer forums programs may dial up the same numbers, but different area codes. So you called up a number from this forum. On a new forum, it wouldn't find it, because the area codes are different.

Too much info I know, but hopefully made some sense.
    It's way more than that, but it was the best I could describe it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Mind....blown.