Home Cigar 101
Options

Cherry bomb? (a.k.a. Stupid Noob Tricks)

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, the other day I was enjoying a fine premipremiprem. As I got into the last third of the stick, I felt some intense heat on my fingers, which surprised me because I was holding the cigar a good half inch behind the cherry. I took another draw, and noticed that the cherry was burning deep into the stick, and started to burn through the wrapper right where my fingers were holding the cigar.

My questions are:

1. Is this common (Never happened to me before)?
2. Was it likely caused by lighting the cigar too hot (I used a three flame butane lighter)?
3. Could it have just been the construction of that particular stick?
4. Might it have been the result of smoking too quickly?

Anybody ever had this experience?
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    i say the later, smoking to quickly, i noticed that when i smoke fast
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I'd say #4...I've gotten some "tunneling" when I'm trying to hurry one up, and smoke it to fast. The inner part of the "cherry" is hotter than the outer. So, it will tunnel in, if given the chance.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Usually tunneling is from high outdoor humidity...how fresh was the cigar? This could also do it too you! Sometimes depending on where you got it from and where you store it the fluctuations can effect the burn
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! Thinking back over all the circumstances, I think I was probably smoking too fast.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    I'd say #4...I've gotten some "tunneling" when I'm trying to hurry one up, and smoke it to fast. The inner part of the "cherry" is hotter than the outer. So, it will tunnel in, if given the chance.
    This, plus what Leemcglynn said. I hate when that happens.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Agree with these guys
    Puff_Dougie:
    4. Might it have been the result of smoking too quickly?
    That's usually the problem.
    Puff_Dougie:
    Anybody ever had this experience?
    Hate to admit it, but yes. Has happened to me before. Especially with smaller RGs, if I'm not paying attention and try to puff away like a "madman".

Lee.mcglynn:
    Usually tunneling is from high outdoor humidity...
    Also could be this ^^^

One other thought --- I have had a few cigars with construction issues (big fat stem in the middle of it) which causes a similar problem.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I am going to say it can be a wrapper that is too moist, drier filler burns quicker, uneven humidity within the cigar does happen if the cigars are not rested long enough. OR a construction issue. If the filler is too loose it will burn quicker than the binder and wrapper. I would guess construction issues are the most likely culprit.