Home Cigar 101

Not interested in new?

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
Does anyone else find themselves less and less interested in trying new cigars? I have only been in the hobby for about five years now, but I have gotten to where I am rarely excited about trying new stuff. If it comes from a maker I am a big fan of (Tatuaje, Illusione, Alec Bradley, My Father), I will generally seek one out and give it a whirl. But pretty much anything else new, I don't even attempt to get. I may be browsing through a shop and see something that catches my eye (this happened with a Diesel Grind and the Room 101 Namakubi), but for the most part I tend to stick to what I know.

The first few years I got into the hobby, I was constantly trying new stuff, always eager to find that next awesome smoke I just couldn't do without. It seems like lately, though, I prefer going with a cigar that I know I will love rather than a cigar that may be great, may be okay, or may be a dog rocket. Within the four major brands that I tend to favor, there is more than enough diversity to keep me happy. I could positively smoke just the four above brands and nothing else for the rest of my life and be perfectly content. Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear ya.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    I agree to extent, at this point I know what I like and am almost disappointed when trY something else and don't enjoy it like one of my regulars. That said I am really excited for the Man o War Orange County edition. It's a new blend from my favorite brand, there are a lot of releases thought that I don't even look twice at.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    There are so many new brands out there anymore that it's hard to get through them w/o going broke. I like a lot of cigar brands already and to continue to buy everything that comes out is crazy. If I hear enough buzz after a year then I'll try it but to try and keep up with what comes out is impossible.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    When I started in the 1990s I found a couple cigars that I really liked. When the "boom" happened it was hard to get some of my favorites as demand outstripped supply. Eventually the factories caught up but only by shipping stuff that really wasn't ready to ship. The prices went sky high (and have remained there) so trying a lot of new stuff was tough. Most of the new smokes I tried were promo sticks from cigar dinners (popular at the time). But I generally stuck with a few favorites from Partags, R&J, Hoyo and El Rey del Mundo. It wasn't until Lew Rothman sold J&R and the quality/service/prices took a hit that I even looked at new smokes. My local B&M sold me a LA 100 anos and I became interested again. Necessity pushed me to Ccom/CI and only then did I become curious about a bunch of brands I'd never seen before.

I'd guess most of you guys could stop buying today and have several years worth of smokes on hand. Between Sprint, Ccom email & daily deals and the devil's site I'll be there soon myself. It's hard NOT to drop $50 every time I visit my local B&M stores… stubid hobby :)
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm still new enough to the "hobby" that I want to try lots of new stuff to narrow down what I like. But it makes perfect sense that, after 5+ years, you'd have a pretty good sense of what you like and stock your humi with the ones that you're sure to enjoy. That's kinda how I expect it to go with me in the years ahead.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even try to keep up with many of the new sticks. I have never been one to hunt down LE's, so if a good stick comes out that's worth trying (not an LE), it'll still be there when I get to it! As another example, as has been mentioned in a few other threads, AJ is coming out with a LOT of new stuff, but I pretty much quit following after the San Lotano and Oval, lol! I like those, and I'm not terribly interested in keeping up with every new release... it's exhausting when they are so frequent!

Also, I think it's a factor of better knowing what you like after having smoked quite a few varieties. I don't have to try and get my hands on everything to see of I like it; I sort of have an idea of what I like already and can narrow down the new stuff I'd like to try.

I'm more interested in giving particular brands a try rather than new releases. For example, I just tried a few different Kristoff's over the last few months and I do like em. I want to give some more LFD's a try since I've only had a few of them. I know that I like Tat's, Pepin, Padron, and others... so I can just buy what I like from them, and maybe pick up a couple of new ones every now and then.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I found myself wanting to try every new stick when I was first in to the hobby. Now, I pretty much stick to my guns. If it's MF, Tat, LFD, Fuente (Ashton/VSG too), and Padron, I'll be game to try it. I like what I like and have kinda figured out my palate. If it's AJ blended and made, I'll take a chance on it. I like most of his stuff.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    I have the same problem. When i first started i was trying everything i possibly could to find out what i liked and didn't like. Now the companies i stick with are: oliva, RP, aj fernandez, arturo fuente, gran habano, tatuaje, and a few others. I will try their new blends but I usually don't try new cigars from a company i've never had. It's probably because i don't know if it's a bad or good cigar. I'm more likely to try a cigar from a company i've never had if that cigar is recommended on this forum simply because everyone on here takes smoking seriously and none of want to smoke a bad cigar.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I've found myself jumping at new stuff from companies that don't put out tons of new stuff... For the most part I pretty much know what I like and don't trust many others pallets too tell me too try some really high end stick. I'm just glad I have enough of what I like even if it gets discontinued (camacho) I'll have some too revisit. But yeah for the most part the only new stuff I have too try is all the new stuff I own mostly from you guys!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    There are so many new brands out there anymore that it's hard to get through them w/o going broke. I like a lot of cigar brands already and to continue to buy everything that comes out is crazy. If I hear enough buzz after a year then I'll try it but to try and keep up with what comes out is impossible.
    I am expieriencing this now!! I am so into this hobby, I am smoking fastr than I can buy!! And this is why you guys are stuck with me!!!
    I never in a million years thought anyone would send me a free anything!! when my welcome bomb from Shizz arrived I was shocked and surprised at the same time.
    As I build up my stock, I will always be the guy paying it forward!!

I am still in trying em Mode!! "Life is Good"
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    I like trying new ( or new to me ) sticks. I have my regulars and faves. This past Friday I had my first Falto and loved it. I'll be getting more of those in the future
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem is that I pretty much have decided that 5 Vegas and Torano are going to be my daily smokes, but now I find out 5 Vegas has a label called Miami and I, so far, have not been able yo find them. So, even though I agree with you generally, there is always something that comes up and I want to at least try one.
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    PM jd50ae
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    My problem is that I pretty much have decided that 5 Vegas and Torano are going to be my daily smokes, but now I find out 5 Vegas has a label called Miami and I, so far, have not been able yo find them. So, even though I agree with you generally, there is always something that comes up and I want to at least try one.
    Sadly, the 5V Miami was discontinued. I'm sure you could trade for some, however.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    That's the problem with the current trend of having so much product and so many lines… you find something perfect for you and then it's gone. If you find something you like, buy it up, lol!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    jd50ae:
    Sadly, the 5V Miami was discontinued. I'm sure you could trade for some, however.
    One of my absolute fav's! So sad it got cut
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:

Oh, yeah, even within my chosen brands, there are new releases I am excited to try. There are still a few Tatuajes I want to try (Fausto jumps to mind) and I am extremely happy I gave the Flor de las Antilles from My Father a chance, what a great smoke. The Alec Bradley Mundial definitely has wow factor for me, and the Illusione Rothschilds were surprisingly good. I do get excited about new releases still, but pretty much only from the companies I am already a fan of. If it isn't from Tatuaje, My Father, Illusione, or Alec Bradley, I just really don't care.

There are a few exceptions here. For instance, Room 101. I would like to try a few more of their blends. The Namakubi was a phenomenal cigar, and I recall enjoying their namesake line as well. I do want to venture down their rabbit hole a bit; I'm eager to try the Darumba and San Andreas. Also the CLE Cuarenta impressed me, I wouldn't mind trying the Plus. And AKA was pretty decent, but I've already tried most of their blends; that being said, if they released something new I'd probably give it a shot.

For everything else, I could really care less about trying it. Like I said in the first post, if I am in a B&M and something catches my eye, I'll pick it up. Unfortunately, I find that when I do this I am disappointed more often than not. The Diesel Grind was pretty good, but the LGC Trunk Show cigars weren't. Not that they were bad, just not great. Even going off others' recommendations, I find that I am often disappointed. Almost everything I have read and seen people talking about and been told by other smokers indicated that the Gurkha Cellar Reserve was a fantastic cigar, but I was severely underwhelmed by it. The Esteban Carreras Chupa Cabra came highly recommended, and I thought it was barely above dog rocket level.

There are some diamonds in the rough for sure. Someone here sent me a couple of Obsidian mini-coronas when they first came out, around a year and a half or two years ago. I didn't get around to trying one for well over a year, but when I did it absolutely blew me away. I immediately ordered a box of them, only to find out that it was the year+ of age that really made it shine. That's a cigar that if I had tried it relatively fresh, I likely would have never revisited it. The Bueso Genesis was another one that really took me by surprise. Not sure if it was due to age or if they are just that good ROTT, but I do need to pick up a few more of them. But like I said, for every awesome smoke you find, you have to wade through a ton of less-than desirable sticks.

I think a large part of it is due to a limited time to smoke. When I first started, it was pretty normal for me to go through 3-5 cigars a day. Now, its more like 2-3 a week back home, and even out here I don't get one in every day. When I do sit down with a cigar, I want to know that I am going to thoroughly enjoy it. Another part of it is this:
    PAtoNH:
    That's the problem with the current trend of having so much product and so many lines… you find something perfect for you and then it's gone. If you find something you like, buy it up, lol!

This has happened a few times. The Alec Bradley Pryme, Xikar Defiance, and Tatuaje Anarchy all jump to mind. Another thing is when you find a perfect cigar and then they move factories/change the blend and it just isn't the same any more - here's looking at you, Rocky Patel Decade.

I do miss the feeling of discovering that new "wow" cigar, but I also really enjoy knowing that I am going to love 95% of the cigars I fire up. I guess its a trade off.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im not looking for new stuff all the time. i like to buy what i like but i do enough trades and there is a good enough percentage of new stuff that i do want to try so new things to review seem to always be around.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course, when you're starting out, it's all new! New is one of the things that really turned me on about this place.

When I was introduced to CCOM, I was familiar with names like Fuente, Uppman, RyJ, etc., but I'd never heard of Rocky Patel or Gran Habano or many others. I don't go out of my way too much to just try things "because they're new", though. That's probably what I like best about the COTM. They send stuff, I don't know what's coming, some is new, some is great, and some I learn not to order.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    +1
    I'm at a point, as others, where I simply don't have the money, time, or energy to expend on trying out new stuff. I "paid my dues" these last few years, and have settled down nicely with 25+ different cigars that I'm happy to pay for (at the prices I get them that is), and at my smoking rate, I never have to smoke the same cigar for 2 or 3 months if I don't want, so it's plenty of variety for me.

It's kind of a mess out there anyways, even a few of my "trusted" blenders are introducing new blends at an alarming rate, and I'm not sure where that will go, but I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about it.

Who knows, in a few years, half of my favorites may be "re-blended"m or "licensed out", or simply discontinued. If/when that happens, I'll be back on the "trail" looking for new cigars that fit my taste buds and wallet.

• No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Long Text

From this post and what you said in my, "What do I like?" thread it seems our tastes are really similar. That being said, I'm only 6 months into this hobby and I'm already planning to narrow my "new" down and expand my "favorites". I'd love to have a box of each of a few of my favorites and just go to those most often with a sprinkling of new stuff every once in a while just because. I think I've smoked the same cigar 3 times at most in the last 6 months and just keep having new, new, new, new. It's been a lot of fun but now I think I know more about what I like, what's "good", etc etc so I'm starting to care less about the quantity.
    Tony, you def need to try the Fausto. If I had known, I would've sent one with the El T's. The Room 101 Daruma Lancero is a very fine stick. I think you will really like it.
    Yeah, I definitely do. Its on my short list; Fausto, CLE Plus, Raices Cubana, Daruma, 101 San Andreas. I know this is kind of heresy, but I'm really not into lanceros. I do like smaller ring gauges, but 46-50 is pretty much my sweet spot. I have found very few lanceros that didn't have too tight of a draw for me. The only ones that pop to mind are the El Truinfadors, Tat Blacks, Tatuaje Tattoos, and the Nestor Miranda Special Selection.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    I'm still kinda new, but i'm already sliding away from jumping on new stuff. There are a couple of reviewers I like and whose tastes match my own so if they get excited about something new I'll give it a go.
    alienmisprint:
    Yeah, I definitely do. Its on my short list; Fausto, CLE Plus, Raices Cubana, Daruma, 101 San Andreas. I know this is kind of heresy, but I'm really not into lanceros. I do like smaller ring gauges, but 46-50 is pretty much my sweet spot. I have found very few lanceros that didn't have too tight of a draw for me. The only ones that pop to mind are the El Truinfadors, Tat Blacks, Tatuaje Tattoos, and the Nestor Miranda Special Selection.
    I've only smoked the Daruma in a lancero and it was as good as the El T in my opinion. Really good.
    I recommend the FT153 Fausto. It's really damn good. Pete told me it was his favorite and his "go-to".
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know how you feel so many new ones coming out left and right you can't keep up. I do like to try new ones that catch my eye in a shop though.
    dennisking:
    alienmisprint:
    I've only smoked the Daruma in a lancero and it was as good as the El T in my opinion. Really good.
    I recommend the FT153 Fausto. It's really damn good. Pete told me it was his favorite and his "go-to".

I was just looking at the available sizes for the Daruma, I guess I might go with the lancero to try after all. Its either that or the churchill. I was reading more on the Fausto, and I believe I may have tried them before. If what I read is correct, they are the same as the old T110 blend, and I was fortunate enough to try a couple of those. I believe Rich sent them to me a few years ago. If it is the same, I am going to defnitely have to stock a few of them. The site doesn't list a FT153, is it a different size than what is available on Ccom or just a name they don't use for one of the sizes they do offer?
  • TwoThingismTwoThingism Posts: 121
    Well for me, I like to try out new products whether it be a new beer, cigar, food, etc. . Seeing something different always grabs my attention and I don't mind trying it. Although I have had my fare share of disappointments and wasted money due to not liking the product. I chalk it up to live and learn, as long as I have my tried and true beer/cigar. Unless it gets taken off the market.