Home General Discussion

Torch lighter newb

New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
Ok, so I just got some butane to fill the lighter CurtisCr79 sent me. My fingers are frozen, but the lighter is mostly full. I'm guessing this is not the proper way to do things, so what am I missing here?!

Comments

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    Ok, so I just got some butane to fill the lighter CurtisCr79 sent me. My fingers are frozen, but the lighter is mostly full. I'm guessing this is not the proper way to do things, so what am I missing here?!
    My friend had the same issue. He go a butane can with a metal tip, he switched to one that was designed for lighters with a plastic tip like the xikar can has and he is all good
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    brianetz1:
    New Boots:
    My friend had the same issue. He go a butane can with a metal tip, he switched to one that was designed for lighters with a plastic tip like the xikar can has and he is all good
    I have the Zippo butane fluid (cause well, I had 1 option). It has the plastic tip on it. Maybe I just need more practice?!
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    I use the "JetLine" butane, it has the metal tip and I need to set it in the lighters fill port and (lightly wiggle -move it around) a bit before I push down or it will leak out, as long as I do that it works great
    It does come with several plastic tip adapters clipped in the lid, but none will fit any of my torch lighters so cant us em

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    brianetz1:
    New Boots:
    I have the Zippo butane fluid (cause well, I had 1 option). It has the plastic tip on it. Maybe I just need more practice?!
    did you bleed the lighter before trying to fill it? bleed = pushing the metal fill valve down and letting excess air out of it before filling.
    brianetz1:
    New Boots:
    brianetz1:
    New Boots:
    did you bleed the lighter before trying to fill it? bleed = pushing the metal fill valve down and letting excess air out of it before filling.
    DUH DUH DUH!

No sir, no I did not.....Newbness strikes again!
  • dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    New Boots:
    brianetz1:
    New Boots:
    brianetz1:
    New Boots:
    DUH DUH DUH!

Yep, I was researching this the other day. Check out youtube, they have some videos showing the best way to fill the lighters.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    dandin1:
    New Boots:
    brianetz1:
    New Boots:
    brianetz1:
    New Boots:
    DUH DUH DUH!

Yep, I was researching this the other day. Check out youtube, they have some videos showing the best way to fill the lighters.

I have one exactly like the one I sent you. Mine was already purged, it should have filled fine.

You just have to hold it right. You have to put the nozzle straight into the hole and then pump it a few times. I just keep pumping it until it fills up or I am satisfied whichever happens first. I doubt you are going to be able to fill it all the way, so expect to have a little air left in there.

Keep practicing, you will get the hang of it!
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still trying to figure this out myself. A lighter with a visible fuel tank really helped since I could see the fuel going in. Once I got the hang of it with that, made others easier.
  • EoLEoL Posts: 182
    rsherman24:
    I am still trying to figure this out myself. A lighter with a visible fuel tank really helped since I could see the fuel going in. Once I got the hang of it with that, made others easier.
    i now feel the need to invest in my own and start practicing XD
    curtiscr79:
    dandin1:
    New Boots:
    brianetz1:
    New Boots:
    brianetz1:
    New Boots:
    DUH DUH DUH!

I have one exactly like the one I sent you. Mine was already purged, it should have filled fine.

You just have to hold it right. You have to put the nozzle straight into the hole and then pump it a few times. I just keep pumping it until it fills up or I am satisfied whichever happens first. I doubt you are going to be able to fill it all the way, so expect to have a little air left in there.

Keep practicing, you will get the hang of it!
    I'm sure this is 100% user error. I got it filled (with a bit of air left), and it's working just fine.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Always purge the lighter before filling it...don't use a pen it will blow up!! Second if there is a devider in the tank hold it on a angle. Sometimes you will need too press the butane up and Dow at the end just too get all the air out and fuel in. And remember the warmer the fuel can the higher the psi in the can
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Always purge the lighter before filling it...don't use a pen it will blow up!! Second if there is a devider in the tank hold it on a angle. Sometimes you will need too press the butane up and Dow at the end just too get all the air out and fuel in. And remember the warmer the fuel can the higher the psi in the can
    Well, maybe this thread can help the next guy!
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Lighter refills are easy but you need to do it right or suffer the inconsistencies of one that doesn't work right...i.e. sputter, misfires, etc. This link....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttjmi4PK0A.... will explain in great detail as to how to refill a lighter and I can't stress enough about purging your lighter before refilling. Once you think it's purged continue to purge until you hear all gas depleted. I have a tool called the Butane Screw Thing....I love this tool...here's the link for it: http://butanescrewthing.com/
    Another piece of advise...use the best butane you can get your hands on so your lighter will perform like you want it to....5X refined butane is your best kind of fuel.
    Cigary:
    Lighter refills are easy but you need to do it right or suffer the inconsistencies of one that doesn't work right...i.e. sputter, misfires, etc. This link....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttjmi4PK0A.... will explain in great detail as to how to refill a lighter and I can't stress enough about purging your lighter before refilling. Once you think it's purged continue to purge until you hear all gas depleted. I have a tool called the Butane Screw Thing....I love this tool...here's the link for it: http://butanescrewthing.com/
    Another piece of advise...use the best butane you can get your hands on so your lighter will perform like you want it to....5X refined butane is your best kind of fuel.
    Thanks...watched the video...found my mistakes. It shant happen next time.
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Nice Bro!! I watched the video also, where is the purge valve on the bic?
    New Boots:
    Cigary:
    Hope it helps you with lighter issues...I know it helped me years ago and I haven't had an issue in the last 6 years. I have over 30 lighters so it can be a PIA when they start to misfire.
    Lol...no purge on any bics that I see. There is a soft flame lighter like the Bic...it's actually made by Ronson and it's called "The Comet" and it's a good little lighter and can be recharged. I found some at CVS for $4 for a pak of 3.....they are perfect for trips and are TSA approved because it's a soft flame.
    Cigary:
    New Boots:
    Cigary:
    Hope it helps you with lighter issues...I know it helped me years ago and I haven't had an issue in the last 6 years. I have over 30 lighters so it can be a PIA when they start to misfire.
    I bet....

Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...Out, crap...YAY!
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump on this tip for refilling lighters. It's a good video.  I'll add just a bit more here since I checked a lot of web pages to help me with my lighter issues.

1. Not all lighters need to be purged to operate well, but if you see a flame that goes out right away it may be trapped air in your lighter that needs to be released and purging it before refilling should take care of the issue.
    2. Filling your lighter works best when the lighter is cool and especially cooler than your gas refill canister.  The pressure of the gas in your lighter is lower when it's cool.  You can put your lighter in your fridge for thirty minutes to an hour but the escaping gas of purging your lighter will also cool it down.  This tip becomes more important when you start to run low on your refill canister.  
    3. I've been using a small screwdriver blade on my Leatherman to purge my lighters but also found that one of the plastic refill tip adapters that comes with the Xikar does a good job too with less risk of damage to the fill valve so I've been using it lately.
    4. Cleaning the jets is also necessary periodically, compressed air works but you can also use your refill canister to clean the jets by holding your lighter right-side-up and exposing the jets and just pushing the canister down on the jets to spray them.
    5. I've heard the tip to turn the lighter all the way down both before and with this video after purging.  With my Scortch lighters I find that after the first purge if I try and light the lighter again then I can purge more air out of the lighter so I typically purge, try and light, purge, try and light until I don't hear gas coming out when I purge.

Cigary said:

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    New_Boots said:
    Hey @new_boots  I'm glad you asked this question.  I always assumed I had bought crappy lighters, turns out I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

Thanks for the information your thread brought me.

Mark