Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Prescription for Sudafed?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Oregon evidently seems to think that adults are incapable of buying and using Sudafed without a Dr's prescription or without making meth out of it.
Yet, I can drive across the river to Washington and buy it.
For those people who have allergies, we have to pay for those people who make drugs out of it.
That makes total sense.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Well, I was working for the courts when that ban went into effect and I can tell you that it dropped our manufacturing cases by about 90% in two years. With that reduction came a significant drop in children removed from homes, children poisoned by the chemicals, a drop in meth affected infants being born and the number of homes that effectively have to be torched after they're used as a lab. It has also cut the usage down and, ironically, improved the lives of those addicted because the Mexican and Russian cartels make their meth out of higher quality ingredients than the local dirtbags did. So while it does suck for those of us who used it legitimately, I look at it from the community good standpoint and tend to support it. The eastern and mid-western states are dealing with that plague now and I don't envy them.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. It's always a shame when the bad actions of a few affect the convenience of the many, but these homemade drugs are wreaking havoc all over the place. I don't mind having to show my driver's license to pick up a box of Sudafed in PA if it helps the authorities keep another house from blowing up in my neighborhood.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    I guess I see that. It's just irritating that you now have to pay $100 to the doctor to write a prescription for a $12 box of sudafed.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience:
    I guess I see that. It's just irritating that you now have to pay $100 to the doctor to write a prescription for a $12 box of sudafed.
    That would definitely suck. We can still buy it over the counter in PA. Just have to show driver's license at the pharmacy. They keep a record of who buys it and how often.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Oh totally, I thought that they amended the law to allow doctors to issue standing prescriptions to patients, but maybe that was something floated but never passed.
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    0patience:
    That would definitely suck. We can still buy it over the counter in PA. Just have to show driver's license at the pharmacy. They keep a record of who buys it and how often.
    At first, it was like that. And I had no problem with that.
    It's aggravating for me, cause I have sinus problems. (nose has been broken 13 times. LOL!)
    Sudafed actually works and is quite a bit cheaper than some of actual prescription stuff.
    So for me, I'll end up going across the river to Washington.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    0patience:
    Puff_Dougie:
    0patience:
    It's aggravating for me, cause I have sinus problems. (nose has been broken 13 times. LOL!)
    Sudafed actually works and is quite a bit cheaper than some of actual prescription stuff.
    13 times??? Are you a boxer, or just a klutz??? LOL
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    0patience:
    Puff_Dougie:
    0patience:
    13 times??? Are you a boxer, or just a klutz??? LOL
    Naw. Close combat. My younger years.
    It's complicated. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    Well, I was working for the courts when that ban went into effect and I can tell you that it dropped our manufacturing cases by about 90% in two years. With that reduction came a significant drop in children removed from homes, children poisoned by the chemicals, a drop in meth affected infants being born and the number of homes that effectively have to be torched after they're used as a lab. It has also cut the usage down and, ironically, improved the lives of those addicted because the Mexican and Russian cartels make their meth out of higher quality ingredients than the local dirtbags did. So while it does suck for those of us who used it legitimately, I look at it from the community good standpoint and tend to support it. The eastern and mid-western states are dealing with that plague now and I don't envy them.

When my stepson and wife were arrested they lived at my stepdaughters house and the police actually came by to ask her about her Sudafed purchases, which was for her son who was having non-stop cold symptoms. When the police knocked on my stepdaughters door my stepson and his wife went berserk trying to hide stuff in their rooms. Long story short, the police eventually called in a "team" and the bust happened. Kind of ironic that a legitimate purchase ended up on the front page.

Until that happened I had no idea the crap could be made in a mason jar.
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    I agree. It's always a shame when the bad actions of a few affect the convenience of the many, but these homemade drugs are wreaking havoc all over the place. I don't mind having to show my driver's license to pick up a box of Sudafed in PA if it helps the authorities keep another house from blowing up in my neighborhood.

There are so many house and trailers that have been gutted by fire in this area it is actually a shock. When my stepson was released from jail we went for a ride to just talk, and the number of burnt out shells he pointed out as drug labs that blew was astonishing.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    Puff_Dougie:

There are so many house and trailers that have been gutted by fire in this area it is actually a shock. When my stepson was released from jail we went for a ride to just talk, and the number of burnt out shells he pointed out as drug labs that blew was astonishing.
    Yep, it's scary stuff. Unfortunately the science still isn't in yet about whether addicts can ever really recover, unlike most drugs is so thoroughly f's up your brain chemistry that no one is certain if the brain can recover.

One of the tipping points here was when they started finding labs in the back of stolen u-hauls just driving around. If one of those had gotten into an accident....
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you guys have CVS pharmacies there??? CVS has started some pretty awesome things called "CVS Mini-clinics" where they have a certified nurse on hand who can write "some" prescriptions and can have a quick look at you and prescribe some simple things like this at no extra cost. Pretty neat idea.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    Do you guys have CVS pharmacies there??? CVS has started some pretty awesome things called "CVS Mini-clinics" where they have a certified nurse on hand who can write "some" prescriptions and can have a quick look at you and prescribe some simple things like this at no extra cost. Pretty neat idea.
    Yeah, but they charge your insurance around here, so if you have a copay...well, you pay it.

Our insurance has a call-in consult that can write scripts for things like this over the phone. No narcotics, of course, but I think they'll do this if you're in an area requiring it.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    perkinke:
    jd50ae:
    Puff_Dougie:

Yep, it's scary stuff. Unfortunately the science still isn't in yet about whether addicts can ever really recover, unlike most drugs is so thoroughly f's up your brain chemistry that no one is certain if the brain can recover.

One of the tipping points here was when they started finding labs in the back of stolen u-hauls just driving around. If one of those had gotten into an accident....

I use to drink in 2 to 3 days a half gallon of JD Black and that did not include bars and party's. One day I said to myself, self what are you doing...and I stopped. That was a lot of years ago and today I may have 6 or 7 drinks in a month, plus a couple of beers. For some reason it did not bother me to stop at all.

What is the difference in stopping booze and stopping drugs...?? I took pain pills (still do) and things like Valium and Xanax for years. Had to because I came down with so many medical problems at one time I could not concentrate on a darn thing. When I stopped it did not bother me at all and my doctor at the time said I did not have an addictive personality at all. Because I did not go through any kind of withdrawals at all, from anything, I haven't a clue what it is like. If I did not have to take pain pills I would not touch them and then I see on Drugs, Inc where people shot the darn stuff in a vain. That blows me away, I would be climbing the walls.

I am trying to get a handle on what my kids have been through and what to look for.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    I use to drink in 2 to 3 days a half gallon of JD Black and that did not include bars and party's. One day I said to myself, self what are you doing...and I stopped. That was a lot of years ago and today I may have 6 or 7 drinks in a month, plus a couple of beers. For some reason it did not bother me to stop at all.

What is the difference in stopping booze and stopping drugs...?? I took pain pills (still do) and things like Valium and Xanax for years. Had to because I came down with so many medical problems at one time I could not concentrate on a darn thing. When I stopped it did not bother me at all and my doctor at the time said I did not have an addictive personality at all. Because I did not go through any kind of withdrawals at all, from anything, I haven't a clue what it is like. If I did not have to take pain pills I would not touch them and then I see on Drugs, Inc where people shot the darn stuff in a vain. That blows me away, I would be climbing the walls.

I am trying to get a handle on what my kids have been through and what to look for.
    I think some people do have more of an "addictive" personality and are more easily susceptible to substance abuse. I tend to be more like you. I used to binge drink, but had no problem cutting back to just enjoying a few beers and not feeling like I had to get wasted every time I opened a brew. I don't like pain meds. When I have had to take them for medical reasons, I've stopped after a day or so. Never understood how people get hooked on them... but many do. Others are more likely to get hooked on certain activities... like gambling, or maybe the Sprint Sale (LOL)... we all have something that, if we let it, would consume us.
  • Options
    jd50ae:
    perkinke:
    jd50ae:
    Puff_Dougie:

I'm not a medical person so I'm sure my explanation is not quite right, but as I understand it meth, unlike alcohol or pain meds, permanently alters the the amount of brain chemical it produces and for some reason it appears to prevent the brain from rebuilding that capacity. So even when someone quits they may need some kind of drug therapy, similar to anti-depressants, to return them to a neutral state. It is a very different drug that coke or heroin, which used to the worst known addictive, but studies have shown the brain can recover from them over time. My information is several years old so there may be more updated information out there.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    perkinke:
    jd50ae:
    perkinke:
    jd50ae:
    Puff_Dougie:

I'm not a medical person so I'm sure my explanation is not quite right, but as I understand it meth, unlike alcohol or pain meds, permanently alters the the amount of brain chemical it produces and for some reason it appears to prevent the brain from rebuilding that capacity. So even when someone quits they may need some kind of drug therapy, similar to anti-depressants, to return them to a neutral state. It is a very different drug that coke or heroin, which used to the worst known addictive, but studies have shown the brain can recover from them over time. My information is several years old so there may be more updated information out there.
    You're on the right track. I checked myself into rehab back in 2003 for alcohol, so I have a little education and experience in this. It all boils down to body chemistry and certain chemicals that you're body naturally produces. Chemical dependency is a "bee eye tee see aich"!!!!! That's when the substance you're abusing becomes a part of your actual chemical makeup and you're body DEPENDS one it to survive. Reversing that dependency is possible through rehabilitation and often it's necessary to wean off the chemical. Heroine and crack are reportedly the most painful and difficult, but alcohol is the only known sustance that becomes so chemically intertwined with your actual chemical makeup that it can kill you. I witnessed a guy blow a BAC of .55 while I was there. They basically told him (very nicely) that it was very likely he was going to die whether he continued drinking or not.
  • Options
    Drugs are a curiosity to me and always have been. RA drugs (some) actually fib to your system and they make your body react to the fib. RA itself is an immune system reaction to something that is not really there (think I got that right). Cymbalta is a head drug that they are now finding helps with skeletal pain and does more for me then the pain pills do. Prednisone kept me out of a wheel chair but I blew up like a water ballon and I am paying for that today, but I can walk. Side affects are not really investigated until the drugs are released to the public and I don't know what the answer is, not a clue.

My wife had a list of prescriptions that boggled the mind when she was going through her cancer treatment, and I would not like to think about what she would have gone through without them. She is today cancer free.

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is most drugs (if not all) were "invented" for good, but, as someone previously mentioned it only takes a few people to hose it up for the rest of us. My doctor and I not only discuss the affects and side affects of any prescription we are thinking about we also discuss the red flags that could go up and could get him into trouble. I have said no to one prescription because of the red flags that would go up. I just can't afford to lose the 1 of 4 doctors in this area that understand pain does not go away by just talking about it. Abuse on so many levels has caused so many problems for so many people and I don't have a clue about any answers to those problems.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. It has been interesting to say the least.
  • Options
    No prob. One of the commissioners I work for is deeply involved with our drug court program which focuses on rehabilitation and treatment rather than punishment (radical concept, huh? fix the problem rather than just slap the behavior) so if you'd like I'd be happy to collect some more info for ya.
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure regulations that restrict freedoms are a good idea. They have restricted your freedom to control someone else's problem. They need to fix the problem and enforce, and/or upgrade penalties significantly on the offending parties. Do not restrict law abiding citizen's freedoms with another regulation. They are a slippery slope especially when promoted as being for the "greater good of the community." Replace community with children, humanity, or any other topical buzzword and it is just another step towards a nanny state