Home General Discussion

Re-doing my cabinet

alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
Some of you might remember when I had a cabinet humidor built. Well, when we moved, the glass got busted out of the door. I didn't get around to replacing it for a while, and by the time I did, the door frame had warped bad enough that it would need to be replaced too. Now I think I just want to get the whole casing re-done. Nothing needs to be redone to the interior, but I would like a new housing made for it. For those of you that are carpentry inclined, does anyone have a rough idea of how much it would cost? Its roughly the size of a grandfather clock, and I'm good with it either having the old exterior torn off and replaced or just putting a new exterior over the existing one, whichever would be more cost effective. I know that without exact measurements its impossible to give an accurate price, just looking for ballpark.

Comments

• flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    I dont know much about woodworking but its cool that your putting this unit back in service. When I asked you about your cabinet last week. the description sounds awesome. Cant wait to see a pic.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    There are some pictures of it when I first got it here:

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/3/130555/ShowThread.aspx

I want it in a darker finish this time around, maybe like a deep cherry stain or something along those lines.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    As a carpenter I can tell you it will be quite a bit easier and less expensive to simply have a new door made. The face frame and crown are probably glued on as well as nailed or biscuited on to the box body of the cabinet. To take it apart will be somewhat time consuming for the carpenter as he/she will have to make a custom sled to cut it off. My guess would be a 200-300 for a new door, 500+ for a new door and face frame w/crown.
  • Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    The easiest fix would be to get the door fixed. Strip the old stain and restain everything to the color of your choice. Jmo.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    If I were to do that for myself, I'd expect to pay $200-300 in parts and supplies. I always end up going over budget. haha. Tag on someone's labor and profit margin for the parts... probably in the $500 range or more.
    Chuck N:
    The easiest fix would be to get the door fixed. Strip the old stain and restain everything to the color of your choice. Jmo.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Have someone build the door, and simply sand down the rest, stain and finish... Maybe you're looking at around $200-300 total.
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    There are some pictures of it when I first got it here:

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/3/130555/ShowThread.aspx

I want it in a darker finish this time around, maybe like a deep cherry stain or something along those lines.
    That's a sweet cabinet!!
    Yeah, I hadn't thought of sanding it down and re-staining the whole thing. That should be doable. Thanks for the advice.
    Or there is always Option 2 (careful guys...), PM your way.
    And replied. Thanks man, that's awesome!