Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Forum Bugs

Who does one talk to about bugs on the forum? It wont let me change anything with my account, it just keeps sending me to an error page.
Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Go into your bathroom, shut the lights, and say "Candyman" into the mirror three times. If someone shows up, you can talk to him about it.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Go into your bathroom, sh....Nevermind, Ken got it.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I get an error message but the edit was successful. .
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Go into your bathroom, shut the lights, and say "Candyman" into the mirror three times. If someone shows up, you can talk to him about it.
    Rain:
    Go into your bathroom, sh....Nevermind, Ken got it.
    The site is pretty buggy, Shadow We all just kind of live with it because the company is so...fabulous. For example I haven't been able to get on with my ipad all weekend (but can on my phone and laptop). I'd be happy to share what I know if you want to post a specific question here or through PM. You could also send a message to one of the moderators but my guess is that can't do anything much. CCOM made the forum as a courtesy to us and everyone knows it's not perfect (kind of like us). Someone else might have a different perspective or more helpful advice.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Now THAT is some funny stuff right there.

Or close your eyes, click your heals together 3 times and say, "There's no place like home. There's no place like home."
    Open your eyes and see if that solves it.
    Well, it was worth a try.
    And then post the video of you doing that. ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Sometimes I get an error message but the edit was successful. .
    yes.... this
    i have had this happen quite a few times.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oddball forum software is out of date and forum software company is out of business. I have offered c.com several times to hack it for them but no response. It is what it is. Try editing a PM for instance. That's never worked for me.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Oddball forum software is out of date and forum software company is out of business. I have offered c.com several times to hack it for them but no response. It is what it is. Try editing a PM for instance. That's never worked for me.

I can edit a PM and it will always display an error message. I just have to reload the page to see the results even though the edit was successful.
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    webmost:

In situations like this... sometimes the best way is to start fresh with a new one, but transfer all accounts only. No posts or contents, etc. Keep the old one a link away for posterity's sake and reference. That could be an easy way out.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I'd rather keep the posts. Wealth of knowledge buried around here. A few things about CCom are annoying, but it works and it's free!
  • Options
    WaltBasil:
    webmost:

In situations like this... sometimes the best way is to start fresh with a new one, but transfer all accounts only. No posts or contents, etc. Keep the old one a link away for posterity's sake and reference. That could be an easy way out.
    Well, the deal is, transferring all the old stuff to a new platform, that would be where a geek like myself comes in. You'd be surprised what's possible. Transferring accounts might be a bigger challenge, because passwords might well be encrypted.

Be that as it may ... If I were c.com I'd prolly be the same way ... I'd just say "why rock the boat ... it works enough to get by.". They got bigger fish to fry I'm sure.

Brand new installations have their problems too. Platforms like VBulletin and such have become so bloated by galloping featuritis that they have long been targets of attackers. So you have constant patching to deal with. With obsolete software you get security by obscurity, which is often the best kind. Plus bloatware sucks server resources. The advantage of the stone age is it rocks. The disadvantage of the bleeding edge is all the blood that gets shed there.

I do wish we could at least get over this manual <br> like break crap. Fixes like that and the edit errors and such should be hackable.

Hey, c.com, I'll work for sticks, ya know.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I just send Ccom an email, offering my services. I'm a bit of a web geek myself. If I can just get inside the forum...I'm sure there are features that just need flipped on. Or just update the forum version. No need to try and have them update to vB or something like that. As Webmost said, things like vB are much more accessible to hackers and such.
  • Options
    There is no update, Boots. Right click, view source, meta generator = CommunityServer -- google that. Belonged to Telligent (who may have appeared more so if they'd had an "in"), last version 5 and change, ceased development four years ago. This forum says v2. Gluck widdat.

• Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    webmost:
    There is no update, Boots. Right click, view source, meta generator = CommunityServer -- google that. Belonged to Telligent (who may have appeared more so if they'd had an "in"), last version 5 and change, ceased development four years ago. This forum says v2. Gluck widdat.
    I doubt I get a response anyway. There may be something that can be done within the installed version. Probably not. What really confuses me is there were much better (free) forum applications available when these were installed.