Home Non Cigar Related

The Winter of their Discontent

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
14 degrees here.

Personally, I feel sorry for them. The card carrying koolaid drinking NPR listening polar bear hugging Al Gore loving libtard global warming alarmists, I mean. It's gotta feel so discouraging. Hey, even if this doesn't turn out to be a man made apocalypse, at the very least it ought to feel warm, right? When these well meaning well informed intellectuals open their front doors they ought to see beach front property with a windmill, roads full of Volts, five million green jobs, settled science, heat.

Instead... Saskatoon invades Atlanta.

Gotta feel discouraging. Poor fellows.

Is this the Winter of their discontent?

Or will blind faith triumph over all?

Post a pic of your front yard.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    he said "libtard"… hee hee
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Weather - the state of the air and atmosphere at a particular time and place : the temperature and other outside conditions (such as rain, cloudiness, etc.) at a particular time and place.

Climate - the average course or condition of the weather at a place usually over a period of years as exhibited by temperature, wind velocity, and precipitation

I'll not argue the topic of "climate change," mostly because it's the nature of an average to change over time. These definitions are always pertinent however.

Why are people freaking out about winter this year? It's like they expected something different to happen from November to March. I'm sure these same folks will be baffled when it's 95 degrees in July.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    I live in NW Minnesota. It has been brutal here by all standards. The few days it has been above 20 since December 1st the wind was so high it still felt like below zero. The snowman my kids built in my front yard has been the same since the first week in December. Has not melted or reduced down. We have had more days closed this year due to -60 or below wind chills than any other year. Our first days of +32 in over a month might be Sunday. Normally I walk my dogs quite a bit in the winter but this year it has been too cold for even that. -30 and below windchills almost every night for a month gets old.

I am not blaming this on global warming, ice ages or solar flares, but I am going to be generally pissed off for no good reason. That is my right.
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other then a couple of days when the temperature really plummeted (like right now) it has been the same every year I have lived here. Check that, there was a drought when I got here and then people wished it would stop raining. Went for a drive a few days ago after all the rain and ice, fields were huge skating rinks.

I am kinda worried about the drought further west, because if and when it starts raining they are going to seriously flood.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Yep, after less than 3 inches of rain since July 1st of last year and nineteen days in January at or above record highs. With average high temperatures for January a full five degrees higher than ever recorded it would seem that we stole your normally mild winters and placed it squarely over the west coast. Hmmm, didn't know that was possible.
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    I hope you're trolling. If not, sadly, here's some statistical facts: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/
    No_one21:
    I hope you're trolling. If not, sadly, here's some statistical facts: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/
    Who is trolling when we talk about the weather? Can you troll a 'this weather sucks' conversation?
  • No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    Marker:
    No_one21:
    Who is trolling when we talk about the weather? Can you troll a 'this weather sucks' conversation?
    Response was to the paragraph in the first post about global warming. Though I'm sure I've done my share of trolling 'this weather sucks' conversations when I used to live in Florida lol :p
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    No_one21:
    That is some terribly flawed data and analysis right there. If I was still teaching stats I'd steal this as what not to do.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
    No_one21:
    Marker:
    No_one21:
    Response was to the paragraph in the first post about global warming. Though I'm sure I've done my share of trolling 'this weather sucks' conversations when I used to live in Florida lol :p
    I took it as a joke or a light hearted poke. I don't read a global warming agenda in his comments. Send it up here if you don't like the extra 1 degree. We could use 40 of them.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I think it's God's wrath… punishment for enjoying too many cigars.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PAtoNH:
    I think it's God's wrath… punishment for enjoying too many cigars.
    God enjoys cigars though
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, doesn't anybody else have a pic to post showing their fridgy front yard? Gotta be more fun posting pics than troll hunting.

I think the cold this side of the Rockies is at least worth a snide snicker, considering this is the predicted Winter of the Apocalypse, right here, right now. Somewhere along the line, Mister Climate and that cruel bidge Ms. Weather need to sit down and have a serious discussion. Sooner or later, climate needs to become weather; cause if climate is always down the road and never pertains to weather today, then you will never have a chance to fact check a climate prediction, will you?

Eight to twelve inches starting tonight. I'll post a pic tomorrow. If I have power.

I talked on the phone to a client in Big Bear Kalifornia yesterday. She took her children to play in the park in shirt sleeves over the weekend. 12 degrees here.

Now I gotta go to work down the street at the Fisker factory and build more Karmas. They're sure selling like hotcakes.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Hey, doesn't anybody else have a pic to post showing their fridgy front yard? Gotta be more fun posting pics than troll hunting.

Sure. Here's my yard and driveway. School was cancelled today, by the way.

photo IMAG0423_zps19182f3e.jpg
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    14 degrees here.

Personally, I feel sorry for them. The card carrying koolaid drinking NPR listening polar bear hugging Al Gore loving libtard global warming alarmists, I mean. It's gotta feel so discouraging. Hey, even if this doesn't turn out to be a man made apocalypse, at the very least it ought to feel warm, right? When these well meaning well informed intellectuals open their front doors they ought to see beach front property with a windmill, roads full of Volts, five million green jobs, settled science, heat.

Instead... Saskatoon invades Atlanta.

Gotta feel discouraging. Poor fellows.

Is this the Winter of their discontent?

Or will blind faith triumph over all?

By your logic, the fact that certain species of reptiles haven't significantly changed in a hundred million years disproves the theory of evolution, in the face of overwhelming evidence in the fossil record showing that most species have evolved--either beneficially or detrimentally--over time.

Personally, this wretched winter--and last year's wretched winter--have had absolutely no effect whatsoever on my beliefs--backed by view hundreds of pages of scientific data--that climate change is occurring and that the decades long droughts in the U.S. and other parts of the world and melting glaciers and ice caps and increasing global temperatures do signal a long-term warming trend. Now whether you think this is happening because of a cyclical factor of nature, the actions of a deity of your choice, or because of man's ongoing destruction of carbon dioxide-absorbing habitats is entirely up to you. But it is happening.
    raisindot:
    By your logic, the fact that certain species of reptiles haven't significantly changed in a hundred million years disproves the theory of evolution, in the face of overwhelming evidence in the fossil record showing that most species have evolved--either beneficially or detrimentally--over time.

You can't prove evolution any more than a scientist can. There is no observational science to back up evolution. It is all theoretical and extrapolation. You can say current scientific theories say there are million year old fossils because of a carbon dating test. Using this in your argument only subtracts from your following paragraph because it cannot be proven as fact.

Like was said before. We all took it as a joke because of the irregular weather this year. Let's not turn it into a climate change debate because of one Al Gore reference.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Marker:
    raisindot:

You can't prove evolution any more than a scientist can. There is no observational science to back up evolution. It is all theoretical and extrapolation. You can say current scientific theories say there are million year old fossils because of a carbon dating test. Using this in your argument only subtracts from your following paragraph because it cannot be proven as fact.

Like was said before. We all took it as a joke because of the irregular weather this year. Let's not turn it into a climate change debate because of one Al Gore reference.
    Agreed. My post was in jest. We are having a warm winter, but I'm not sure it's a sign of the apocalypse just yet. Maybe it is making up for the fact that we had a cool summer heck I don't know. I do know I was driving home with all of my windows down today because I was hot in a polo shirt.
    Step anywhere this side of the Sierra.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    Yep, after less than 3 inches of rain since July 1st of last year and nineteen days in January at or above record highs. With average high temperatures for January a full five degrees higher than ever recorded it would seem that we stole your normally mild winters and placed it squarely over the west coast. Hmmm, didn't know that was possible.
    So......climate change isn't just about what's happening where I live?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    "So......climate change isn't just about what's happening where I live?"

Nope. Climate change was originally this dreadful impending man made world wide apocalypse called Global Warming. Supposed to happen all over the place. Now it's been watered down to a little warmer in general, on average, somewhere else, eventually, so they tell me, according to stats I hear on TV. "Climate change" is a euphemism for "well, that didn't happen; so let's call it something that always happens." Proof by tautology. Morphed from an apocalypse to a warmer average.

Loosen up. I still think it's funny, no matter where you stand. Remember years back when the IPCC met up in Cancun so they could be somewhere warm, but so many of them couldn't make it there cause European airports were iced over? Satellite photos of Britain were like: "England? Where? There? You gotta be kiddin me. I thought that was Greenland!" Now that was funny, right there. You had to stomp down your irony nerve pretty stern not to get a chuckle out of that. Back then, people talked about the Al Gore Effect -- everywhere Al went they got hail and snow and cold. Funny. Now Al is holed up on his private island he bought with his Al Jazeera money, unavailable for comment.

Faith is stronger than the storm, but a sense of humor is more fun.

Roaring windy sleet right now. Can't see it in this pic; but it's rattling against the windows and shaking the house. Supposed to stack up more snow later today and continue again all night. I just talked with a client from North Carolina who bugged out to Costa Rica. Couldn't take the cold no more at his beach house in South Carolina. Talked to a gal in Georgia yesterday hoped she could make it to day care and home. My Texas contact shut down their office again. An email contact in Massachusetts was hunkering down. It's a broad swathe over here. I love it. I brought work home, so as long as the power lasts I am good. Wish I had a small grandson here. This is the kind of damp deep snow would make a good snowman. We could shovel the drive, make a huge pile, dig an igloo, put in a cardboard box for a floor, and play Eskimo. No school = grandpa time.

Biffy Bullfrog my KLR650 has sprung an oil leak just sitting in the frozen garage for weeks on end. All I can figure is that the cold must have shrunk the timecert for the drain plug. Too frigid to get out and wrench on it. I need some garage time big time. Gotta get out there and roll some cigars.

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Well Web, There is a beauty to the weather you are experiencing, as long as it does not present a danger to the people dealing with it. Stay safe. Spring is on the way. That's what I keep telling myself.
    Snow paused. Shoveled the drive. Took care of the office work I brought home. Bearswatter is in the kitchen now making me cherry pie and coffee. She's singing "I love the sno-ow, I love the sno-ow..." Children playing in the street. Gonna go sit by the fire with fluffy pup and watch old Dexter episodes I never saw. Factoring in a nap and a smoke, that makes a full schedule. More snow coming tonight; then again on the weekend.

I remember once reading the Secret History of the Mongols by some old time feller I forget his name. Telling how the Mongols traced their descent from the Snow Men who lived in mountains in the North where they hunted deer with spears by tying planks on their feet so they could slide down the hillsides fast as the wind. Aboriginal skis, begad. Doesn't that sound like fun Winter sport? You can imagine some grand wrecks on the moguls.

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Winter would be so much better if we all just accepted it with Cherry pie, coffee, cigars, a fireplace, and naps...You got this one figured out.