Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Dog behavior observation/explanation

WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
Back in 2009 we adopted Dolly. She's a Jack Russel Terrier/chihuahua mix. She had this weird trait that up until recently i had totally forgot about. At some point it ended and I haven't seen her do it since. I couldn't even tell you when it ended. Move forward to recently, late last year we adopted Abby. This one is a maltese/poodle mix. And I see that same trait again. So I'm curious enough to throw this out there. Maybe there's a dog whisperer out there than can explain.

Here it is. Whenever you intereact with her, she does what I refer to as "checking herself." She will stop what she's doing and look/sniff to where her **** woud be if she were a male. As if to see if it's still there. Yep.. still there... and carry on.

Comments

• Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Hi Walt,
    We just got a year old Yorkie, As I have been training this dog to pee outside, I notice that he does this also. I think sometime he trys getting our attention, and self-checks to make sure he can hold it. This dog was a pee-pad dog, and now like it or not he is a lets go outside and pee dog. I have this dog stretching on my left when he is ready to go, that is our sign to gear up and get outside. Lots of patience and small treats and your dog will do whatever you need.
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Hmm. Interesting. See if anything has leaked out maybe... And over time will have confidence and stop doing it. Makes sense.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a female Shih Tzu/Lhasa Apso mix who does the same thing. It appears that she just gets excited when people pay attention to her and it makes her piddle, which then causes her to "check herself."
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon