Home Non Cigar Related

What else do you collect?

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I think that generally speaking, cigar smokers are collectors. We're always on the lookout for the hard to find LEs. As Ken said in a different post, when some of us get down to our last of a cigar, we're hesitant to smoke it.I collect books. Mostly nerdy Forgotten Realms type books, but also Post Apocalyptic ones. When I was a kid, my dad had a few shelves of books. Lots of Vietnam accounts and so forth, but a mix of everything. I remember grabbing books from that shelf and becoming engrossed in the tales. I think that is why I like games, be it RPG computer games or D&D. There is a story to tell. So far I'm just collecting books, with the Drizzt series and The Stand being my focal point. I remember reading "Alas Babylon" in school. It was a week long project and I finished it in one night. At some point, I'd like to get all the Wheel of Time books too. I'd like to have a few shelves in my man cave, something about books is just awesome.Anywho...what do YOU collect?

Comments

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    vintage race car parts. not much more to say about that... to most its junk.

Aj
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Guns
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also a book collector. Mostly historical and theological. I've got boxes and boxes in my attic. One day, the plan is to build my dream man cave with built-in bookshelves and a built-in humi... big overstuffed leather chairs... yep. Would also aspire to be a gun collector, but don't have the budget for it just yet.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect guitar picks that I get from concerts. When I get a house I'm going to have a music room and will create a display for all of them. Sports memorabilia is another thing I collect. I purchase a few things but most of it I try to get on my own because it has more meaning to me that way.
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    panties
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, ok ok just kidding. I'm big into collect shot glasses from all over and also beers from different regions.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    MorganGeo:
    lol, ok ok just kidding. I'm big into collect shot glasses from all over and also beers from different regions.
    really... Did not know this. The shot glasses. I knew about the panties already, although I did find it a bit disturbing when you asked me for a pair of mine.
  • blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Native American/Mexican Pottery and primitive art from all over the world. I have a couple of Maria Martinez pieces, but my favorites are from the Mata Ortiz area in Mexico.
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect police and military pins (usually just from the outfits my son serves or served in) and Blue Knights pins.

I started out doing police patches but they took up too much room. When I played in the police bagpipe band (side drum) I started collecting pins. I now have two large embroidary hoops with blue material stretched across them, which holds the pins. I have them on my wall in my office at school and they're a great conversation piece.

• PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    ancient coins, guns & air-guns, Italian scooters and motorcycles, guitars & recording gear.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a foreign money collection I haven't added to in years. Guns, ammo, Native American artifacts.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    part of my collection image
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    I have a foreign money collection I haven't added to in years. Guns, ammo, Native American artifacts.
    got nicaraguan money?
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MorganGeo:
    Shot glasses is another I collect. I get one from every place I travel to
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shot glasses, Harley stuff and sports memorabilia.
    My prized item is a game used Norm Cash baseball bat.
    I know, who's Norm Cash? LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Forgot to mention... I own the world's largest collection of sea shells. I keep them scattered on beaches all over the world. :^)
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Forgot to mention... I own the world's largest collection of sea shells. I keep them scattered on beaches all over the world. :^)
    Oh...just...wow. Mods, please delete this.
    kuzi16:
    jsnake:
    got nicaraguan money?
    I don't believe so. I have Saudi, Thailand, China, Korea, Pakistan, Russian with Stalin, New Russian, Japanese, American, France, Iraq (old and new), and a bunch more. Not too much from South America though.
  • dandin1dandin1 Posts: 175
    I also collect shot glasses.
    Rain:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Awww, c'mon! It's an old Steven Wright joke!
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Rain:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Awww, c'mon! It's an old Steven Wright joke!
    You...fluffer.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    kuzi16:
    jsnake:
    got nicaraguan money?
    I don't believe so. I have Saudi, Thailand, China, Korea, Pakistan, Russian with Stalin, New Russian, Japanese, American, France, Iraq (old and new), and a bunch more. Not too much from South America though.
    No Afghani?

I collect MTG cards and am in the beginning stages of a gun collection. I don't really collect anything just to collect, though. I play MTG, so having a collection of cards goes with it. I smoke cigars. I shoot guns and have them on hand for defense as well.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Rain:
    I collect books. Mostly nerdy Forgotten Realms type books, but also Post Apocalyptic ones. When I was a kid, my dad had a few shelves of books. Lots of Vietnam accounts and so forth, but a mix of everything. I remember grabbing books from that shelf and becoming engrossed in the tales. I think that is why I like games, be it RPG computer games or D&D. There is a story to tell. So far I'm just collecting books, with the Drizzt series and The Stand being my focal point.Anywho...what do YOU collect?

Right there with you on the forgotten realms, I have every Forgotten Realms Drizzt Do'Urden Book, as well as the newest on back order for the paperback release ...
    The Companions: The Sundering, Book I (Dungeons & Dragons: Forgotten Realms: the Sundering)" New Delivery Estimate: February 26, 2014 - March 11, 2014

As well as 98% of all the Dragon Lance books made by every author (including reference books, & a few forgotten realm sets about Lord Soth, but NOT including the "Kids" edition stories)

and several more fiction/fantasy series... Death Gate Cycle set, 97% of the Shannara books, all the Dragon Prince/Dragon Token trilogies, the Dark Sword Trilogy, and a few other full sets I would have to dig out to list, over 200+ fantasy fiction books, and cant wait for the next sets I haven't discovered yet
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    I'm also a book collector. Mostly historical and theological. I've got boxes and boxes in my attic. One day, the plan is to build my dream man cave with built-in bookshelves and a built-in humi... big overstuffed leather chairs... yep. Would also aspire to be a gun collector, but don't have the budget for it just yet.
    Books are like crack for most pastor/preacher types! My wife made me get rid of most of my collection of fiction and such by getting me a kindle. 1000 some files on it now. Much easier to move. Now I only need about 10 boxes to move my library.

We give our kids book money for good grades. Just started since they went back to public school this year; it was something my parents did when we were kids. I turned to my wife and asked why I didn't get book money for good grades during grad school. She stared me down and said, "consider all the books you had to buy for your next classes your 'book money'."
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    All the girls in my extended family are avid readers and I've run out of room for bookcases. They trade books all the time and there's always a pile of "to be reads" on the dinner table. I try to keep a book going all the time but I tend to read at bedtime and sometimes read the same two pages over and over for weeks on end. I'm reading Wolf Hall right now… this book is apparently my kind of read because I received it twice for Christmas... from both my sisters.
    alienmisprint:
    jsnake:
    kuzi16:
    jsnake:
    got nicaraguan money?
    No Afghani?

I collect MTG cards and am in the beginning stages of a gun collection. I don't really collect anything just to collect, though. I play MTG, so having a collection of cards goes with it. I smoke cigars. I shoot guns and have them on hand for defense as well.
    Nope none of that either. It is a nice collection but I would like to add to it someday. Haven't added since I was in the military.
  • SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    Books of all types. We recently got rid of some in our garage.....the county opened a new branch library. LOL
  • IsraIsra Posts: 8
    I collect sunglasses.
    But I I collect broken ones that no one wants or that I find. I don't wear them or anything though.
  • I have a big collection of old post stamps, and also I do collect e-books on different topics and movies. I even use to write my favorite movies on CD's before visit this site https://www.swisscubancigars.com/
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a bottle cap collection, I don't keep doubles. Beer bottle caps to be specific from all over the world.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.