Home Cigar 101

Coolidor Question

TwoThingismTwoThingism Posts: 121
I have been seeing a few coolidors around here and I then realized I have a spare cooler, but It's the beverage type that you see in stores. Right now it hold my humidors, bands, cello, etc. I was wondering if I could convert this into a coolidor. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. That's like a big ol barrel. I've never seen one made out of one like that. Maybe you could. If the lid would make an almost airtight seal then maybe you could. Do you know how many gallons or quarts that thing holds?
  • TwoThingismTwoThingism Posts: 121
    No idea how large it is. My guess would be about 20 gallons. The lid lays on top but I figure gravity (and maybe another humidor) would hold it down ok.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gotta have a good seal. What about the hinge area? Is there any air able to move in and out? I'm skeptical of that thing based on the photo and the ones I've seen up close. Plus, coolers are cheap. LOL
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I'd be very wary of using that one. I'd have my doubts about sealing properly also. I do think, however, that it is a great band holder. You may not believe it now, but you'll fill that bad boy.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    regardless of if you could turn it into a coolerador, i imagine organization and ease of use with a top loader huge barrel like that would be tough. Once you put something on the bottom it would be tough to get at it without removing everything else.
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    I've used two igloos for overflow over the years, and you really want to go something with a tight seal. It doesn't take much to keep them at a decent RH. If you go that route let me know I have some Spanish cedar boards I'd be happy to send you to put in it or you can use lids from boxes. And please stop complaining about the heat :} WTF Thundersnow in VA yesterday.
    brianetz1:
    regardless of if you could turn it into a coolerador, i imagine organization and ease of use with a top loader huge barrel like that would be tough. Once you put something on the bottom it would be tough to get at it without removing everything else.
    I thought the same thing. "Man I really want one of those, but its way down there. Oh well, one of these guys on top it is"
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    I use a Coleman beverage cooler as my "overflow" humi and it seals like a champ. When I need it, I stack boxes in mine. I had a hard time keeping the relative humidity low enough in mine with a single jar of beads and ended up keeping the spout/valve open most of the time. When I got things balanced correctly it hovered around 67% most of the time and the temp stayed rock solid year round.
  • honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Hmmm, might want to consider another cooler to make a cooladore out of and
    FILL THAT SUCKER FULL OF BEER & Ice, and maybe a few other types of booze
    to put right next to the new cooladore you make :D
    then Cigar/Beer block party !!

• TwoThingismTwoThingism Posts: 121
    honorknight7:
    Hmmm, might want to consider another cooler to make a cooladore out of and
    FILL THAT SUCKER FULL OF BEER & Ice, and maybe a few other types of booze
    to put right next to the new cooladore you make :D
    then Cigar/Beer block party !!

Haha, yeah I would like to use it for parties and such, but it's so cumbersome and awkward to load in my car. But I was J/W if it could be used as a coolidor. Oh well, Back to storing my 50 ct. humidors it goes.
    28qt coolidor - up and running for under $50. Can hold an easy 150-200 sticks.