Home General Discussion
Options

Cigar for a Warrior Story

WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
I was doing my normal briefing with a bunch of medical retirees today. I basically tell them when and how they will receive their last active duty pay, retired pay, and disability pay from the VA (Veterans Affairs). I’m the one to establish their retired pay account. I do this first thing every morning as well as immediately following lunch. I believe before I mentioned that I also give out cigars to anyone who recognizes my humidor for what it is on my desk.

This morning there was one kid getting medically retired after some action in the sandbox. He was really enthusiastic about my humidor. He told me how it reminded him of one of his buddies that didn’t make it. He never smoked prior to meeting this buddy of his. He said they basically lived at a checkpoint. They would make the daily runs, and after getting bombed and making their ways around IEDs, they always looked forward to their nightly routine of smoking cigars around the fire pit every night to relax.

He picked out a Macanudo.

Comments

• Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    It always hurts to hear about the loss of someone in service for our country. But there is a sence of happiness that lighting a cigar will always remind his friend of who he had the honor of meeting.
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    That's a cool story Walt,

That young man probably had a very nice day for the kindness you gave him. That's Cool!!
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Good on ya Walt!

Was it a Hyde Park? That thing is amazing!
  • Options
    Usually... they just smile and pick out a cigar... sometimes they bring one back for me. I don't usually get a story... so thought I'd share it.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaltBasil:
    Usually... they just smile and pick out a cigar... sometimes they bring one back for me. I don't usually get a story... so thought I'd share it.

Glad you did.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaltBasil:
    I was doing my normal briefing with a bunch of medical retirees today. I basically tell them when and how they will receive their last active duty pay, retired pay, and disability pay from the VA (Veterans Affairs). I’m the one to establish their retired pay account. I do this first thing every morning as well as immediately following lunch. I believe before I mentioned that I also give out cigars to anyone who recognizes my humidor for what it is on my desk.

This morning there was one kid getting medically retired after some action in the sandbox. He was really enthusiastic about my humidor. He told me how it reminded him of one of his buddies that didn’t make it. He never smoked prior to meeting this buddy of his. He said they basically lived at a checkpoint. They would make the daily runs, and after getting bombed and making their ways around IEDs, they always looked forward to their nightly routine of smoking cigars around the fire pit every night to relax.

He picked out a Macanudo.
    If I got you a package could you get it to him?
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Echambers:
    If I got you a package could you get it to him?
    I do have an address for him. How good of an address it is, is a different story. These guys are in and out very fast, most don't have a permanent address yet and they usually give some type of family member's addy for now, and they know to update it later through their "mypay" account online. If you sent me something to pass along to him, I would send it to the PO box he listed, along with your contact information. That's as much as I can "guarantee," if you know what I mean. But sure... I'd be more than happy to. Let me know so I know to keep his addy handy.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll get something out to you mid week.
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    You got it.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome Walt. I hope I deal with someone as cool as you in four and a half years.
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    That's awesome Walt. I hope I deal with someone as cool as you in four and a half years.
    That would be nice... but I doubt it... Not that I'm cool in any way... I just do my job because I want to and love it. I can't believe how many other places I see that do not. I end up fixing a lot of problems from retirees that come my way after the fact... and I see that they don't know 20% of what they should.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    God Bless our Soldiers! Awesome story. Thanks for sharing Walt. My brother is getting discharged for medical disability from a training accident and i just hope he has someone helping him that is as good a person as you seem to be.
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Walt...I need your direct line ;)Did my PHA last week, and x rays on my back came back "irregular", despite no pain or accidents. Have a meeting with the Brigade Surgeon on Wednesday...so am slightly worried.
  • Options
    EoLEoL Posts: 182
    Dude what you do is awesome and how you share is amazing.
    such a cool story and very touching. You should try to herf with him sometime or something!