Home Cigar 101

Antique Humidors

perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
I've been looking around at antique humidors because I kinda like the art deco designs, but noticed that most of them are lined with copper inside. Is there anything special that i would need to know about having a humidor with copper lining, aside from making sure it seals well?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nope... as long as it seals should be all good.
    i would use boxes in there to get the wood though.
    if it doesnt seal get some D-ring weather strip. works wonders.
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    that's interesting, I have never noticed a humidor lined with copper, Ill check that out!!
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Searching through ebay, I've found most of the '20's to 40's end table or cabinet humidors have copper lining.
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    You might also find some with a type of porcelain/stone lining. A lot of what is offered as "antique" cabinet humidors are actually converted from some other type of cabinet. Of course if it seals it does not matter. The early humis are really more the size of modern desktops humis. The really early ones have a type of tin lining.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    I've found a few of these, but most were in pretty rough shape. I know me, and I'd have to restore it. I'd love to dive into something like that, but I'd end up sinking walk-in money, into desktop storage.
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    hehe, yeah, that's part of what I'm looking at and why I haven't purchased one. I am sorely lacking in woodworking skills (tools, space and patience too) but if it needed minor fixes I could do that. I just like the feel of antiques, they have "soul," for lack of a better word, to me.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cedar lined humi's are a relatively new thing. Which came about when people actually started aging cigars mostly at that time they just smoked what they bought then they discovered that cedar is excellent for maintaining the proper humidity needed to keep cigars. You would probably have to add some weather stripping to ensure a good seal.