Home General Discussion
Options

Odd Occurance

New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
Ok, so my cooler has been running at a solid 67/68rH for a while now. Well, first off, for those of you who know about my cooler as of late. I went back to the 3 baskets, instead of 2 and my shelf.

I was running, KL, 2 72rH bovedas, and 4oz of black ice jars. It still held at 67/68rH. Everything was playing off of everything else, so there were no spikes in rH.

I decided to check on the bovedas today, and to remove my shelf. The bovedas were starting to get crunchy, and I took out the black ice, since I removed the shelf. This was a few hours ago...I just took a peek, thinking the rH was going to have dropped, considering I'm now only using the KL.

My rH was at 70. Nothing I'm worried about, as long as it does not rise much more (at all, really). However, I'm rather surprised it went up, not down.

Comments

• Options
    twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The boveda packs are supposed to work both ways.so they might have been sucking out some of the humidity since they were getting crunchy.
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your KL and cigars should be stable but the question is at what RH? Since the bovedas were 72s and they wre drained of moistue, your KL and cigars will have absorbed that moistue. Give it a good 12 - 24 hours and see what RH you have. My guess is it won't move far from 70%.
  • Options
    OK.not to thread jack( in public). But where do you all shoot for?I live in Florida gen humigity kinda high,so I try for 68 but always thought 65-70 was kinda of a comfort zone.

• Options
    Bob Luken:
    Your KL and cigars should be stable but the question is at what RH? Since the bovedas were 72s and they wre drained of moistue, your KL and cigars will have absorbed that moistue. Give it a good 12 - 24 hours and see what RH you have. My guess is it won't move far from 70%.
    Yup, I just took a peek. Still at 70. I'm not 100% sure how I went from just KL, to have 3 different devices in there. It just kinda happened.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you see that it stays at 70% and if you do want to bring it down. You could add some KL that is dryer. Buy some more. Check to see at what RH the new stuff is reading. (Probably 60 to 65%) Then you can slowly add some more into your current mix. It's fun to tinker with it. To me, that's the thing about KL. It's a DIY project. LOL

• Options
    Bob Luken:
    If you see that it stays at 70% and if you do want to bring it down. You could add some KL that is dryer. Buy some more. Check to see at what RH the new stuff is reading. (Probably 60 to 65%) Then you can slowly add some more into your current mix. It's fun to tinker with it. To me, that's the thing about KL. It's a DIY project. LOL

I already picked up a bag of the stuff. I also just pulled some sticks out of the cooler, and moved to the humi. I'll see how it goes, and play with it. I'd prefer to sit around 67/68.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    OK.not to thread jack( in public). But where do you all shoot for?I live in Florida gen humigity kinda high,so I try for 68 but always thought 65-70 was kinda of a comfort zone.
    i run 72% here... to dry here for anything less.

Aj
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    twistedstem:

Aj
    ok drier general humidity so you run yours higher.makes sense.

• Options
    twistedstem:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    twistedstem:

Aj
    ok drier general humidity so you run yours higher.makes sense.
    Most people think im nutz... but ive never had an issue with mold. but im very germ-o-phob in handling my sticks.

Aj
  • Options
    ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    I hate to do this to you, however, do you ever think about who has handled them before you?
  • Options
    twistedstem:
    I try to keep them around 65-67. This winter in VA has been cold and dry and they hovered at 64-65.
  • Options
    ckrddsmke:
    I hate to do this to you, however, do you ever think about who has handled them before you?
    Absolutly. me and my wife always talk about the seriousness of "us" guys bombing eachother back and forth from one side of the country to another. Honestly, were a venerable "outbreak" ready to happen. one sick guy could shoot germs across the country and spread the sickness in a few short mailing days. This is a very real issue. I try to freeze mine when recieved. but thats no guarntee that germs who LOVE 70-80% humiity are dead. But none will hit my humis until thay have passed a month of quarantine. Inspection is your best line of defense. as well as CELLO wrapped sticks.

Aj
  • Options
    I shoot for the 65-68 range. Depends on what it's kept in.

I also lick all my sticks before I send them out!? That's not a problem is it?
  • Options
    New Boots:
    I shoot for the 65-68 range. Depends on what it's kept in.

I also lick all my sticks before I send them out!? That's not a problem is it?
    cool i thought i was the the only one who did that...

• Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    ckrddsmke:
    Absolutly. me and my wife always talk about the seriousness of "us" guys bombing eachother back and forth from one side of the country to another. Honestly, were a venerable "outbreak" ready to happen. one sick guy could shoot germs across the country and spread the sickness in a few short mailing days. This is a very real issue. I try to freeze mine when recieved. but thats no guarntee that germs who LOVE 70-80% humiity are dead. But none will hit my humis until thay have passed a month of quarantine. Inspection is your best line of defense. as well as CELLO wrapped sticks.

Aj
    Forget about the guys passing out bombs and pass’s in this country, have you thought about the guy in a third world country in a hot sweaty cigar factory who just finished using the bath room with sub-par toilet paper at best and was the one who bunched the filler? There is no wiping off the inside of the filler in your cigar and saying “eh I think I cleaned all the fecal matter off, now I am going to inhale all this goodness”
  • Options
    FireRob:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    ckrddsmke:

Aj
    Forget about the guys passing out bombs and pass’s in this country, have you thought about the guy in a third world country in a hot sweaty cigar factory who just finished using the bath room with sub-par toilet paper at best and was the one who bunched the filler? There is no wiping off the inside of the filler in your cigar and saying “eh I think I cleaned all the fecal matter off, now I am going to inhale all this goodness”
    true... but you cant control that and your at the mercy of the cigar gods.... but for everything else>>>> an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Atleast in my book.... id like to think i was very selective about what i stick in my mouth. LMAO....

Aj
  • Options
    FireRob:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    ckrddsmke:

Aj
    Thats the ones I was thinking about. That is why you pair with alcohol.