Home General Discussion
Options

Binder.

Just how much taste does the binder impart to the final taste and strength of a certain cigar?
I often thought on this and thought it might be a good conversation starter for a fresh member.

Comments

• Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Being a newb myself i have always though and read that the wrapper has like %80 of the flavor in it.. but i might be totally wrong
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find puff's old school post and watch the video. It explains a little.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO wrapper and binder go hand in hand I feel the binder is a leaf the could have been the wrapper with flaws but even wrapper flavor is a debate so who really knows
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the wrapper and binder are a huge factor in flavor. the two together are anywhere from 40%- 70% of the total flavor. i feel that the wrapper has more influence than the binder. 65sh/35ish maybe.
    im not very sure. its all very theoretical. not only that, but the binder and wrapper are attempting to accomplish two very different things. a wrapper has to look good, burn evenly with the binder, and taste fantastic.

the binder has to be strong to hold the cigar together, burn evenly with both the wrapper and filler and taste great.

this extra work the binder has to do changes what it can do, if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    joremajorema Posts: 40
    kuzi16:
    the wrapper and binder are a huge factor in flavor. the two together are anywhere from 40%- 70% of the total flavor. i feel that the wrapper has more influence than the binder. 65sh/35ish maybe.
    im not very sure. its all very theoretical. not only that, but the binder and wrapper are attempting to accomplish two very different things. a wrapper has to look good, burn evenly with the binder, and taste fantastic.

the binder has to be strong to hold the cigar together, burn evenly with both the wrapper and filler and taste great.

this extra work the binder has to do changes what it can do, if that makes any sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense, as this was an assumption I have had for a while myself.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    joremajorema Posts: 40
    I have been reading about a forum blend and that mistakes were made. What exactly went wrong with the blend? One bad leaf choice, or was the blend doomed from the start with the wrapper-binder selection?
    Just curious here.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jorema:
    I have been reading about a forum blend and that mistakes were made. What exactly went wrong with the blend? One bad leaf choice, or was the blend doomed from the start with the wrapper-binder selection?
    Just curious here.
    like most things done in/with committee, nobody got what they really wanted, but everyone got a little bit. because of this lack of focus, the cigar did not turn out the way it could have.