Home Cigar 101
Options

Tupperdor question

Been looking into tupperdors and coolerdors recently and I was wondering if a container I already own would be suitable. It is a Sterilite container. Kind've small with two latches on each side to close it.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Picts would be helpful and if you really just wanna go out a buy a coolor i got one from walmart today (48 qt. for $49)
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    Cant figure out how to get pictures on here to work..
    http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/1/Sterilite-17531712-rw-250399-354145.jpg
    That link shows exactly what I am talking about
  • Options
    To me it does not seem like it would have the best seal for what your trying to do.
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I looked at the sterlite website and I think the food grade containers have a good seal and would be good for cigar storage but the basic organizer storage boxes will not seal well enough. If you can find your container at sterilite.com you can maybe figure out if it's one of the food storage containers or not.
  • Options
    I wonder if it could be weather-stripped for a better seal or something.
  • Options
    slicker125:
    Cant figure out how to get pictures on here to work..
    http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/1/Sterilite-17531712-rw-250399-354145.jpg
    That link shows exactly what I am talking about
    Sorry, that doesn't look like a good one for cigar storage. Try looking at some of these.
    http://www.sterilite.com/home.html?section=4
    Also rubbermaid has some good ones. and I think all these can be found at walmart.
  • Options
    slicker125:
    Maybe. But I would spend a few bucks on a better container rather than a few buck on weatherstripping.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Buy a cooler!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    slicker125:
    Maybe. But I would spend a few bucks on a better container rather than a few buck on weatherstripping.
    i have the containers in question. they hold perfect rh with a tiny modification. D-ring weather strip and the latches have cut outs that go through the container so i covered them with electrical tape.

i had/have another one about that size that i bought with no latches. it snaps shut. after adding the D-Ring it doesnt snap shut. i got those containers because it will force the D-Ring strip to work better. the lid is not just resting on the strip it is pressed into it.

about a year ago i bought humidity jars for the ones with the latches. I have yet to recharge the jars. Im sure the seal is good.

here they are in action. the two on the bottom two shelves are like yours just in different colors.

the one with the lid without the latches is the one with the blue lid. note that i have a cigar box that i use for accessory storage on top of it. this is actually what is holding the seal to a level that i feel it is working.

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Bob Luken:
    slicker125:
    i have the containers in question. they hold perfect rh with a tiny modification. D-ring weather strip and the latches have cut outs that go through the container so i covered them with electrical tape.

i had/have another one about that size that i bought with no latches. it snaps shut. after adding the D-Ring it doesnt snap shut. i got those containers because it will force the D-Ring strip to work better. the lid is not just resting on the strip it is pressed into it.

about a year ago i bought humidity jars for the ones with the latches. I have yet to recharge the jars. Im sure the seal is good.

here they are in action. the two on the bottom two shelves are like yours just in different colors.

the one with the lid without the latches is the one with the blue lid. note that i have a cigar box that i use for accessory storage on top of it. this is actually what is holding the seal to a level that i feel it is working.

Dude! Stickers! That's what my tupperware needs!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I really believe that you get what you pay for and in this regard...RubberMaid gets my top vote because I use so many of them. First of all....they seal better and you can burp them to get even more stale air out of the inside. To get fresh air in...you open it up for a few seconds and burp again. RubberMaid has the perfect size...2.5 gallon which will hold about 20 cigars and a pound of KL. Put cedar on the bottom and around the sides and you just made yourself a humidor that is as good as my $600 humidors. Cost for this size RubberMaid....at Walmart it's about $12...at other stores like Dollar Stores, etc.
  • Options
    Cigary:
    I really believe that you get what you pay for and in this regard...RubberMaid gets my top vote because I use so many of them. First of all....they seal better and you can burp them to get even more stale air out of the inside. To get fresh air in...you open it up for a few seconds and burp again. RubberMaid has the perfect size...2.5 gallon which will hold about 20 cigars and a pound of KL. Put cedar on the bottom and around the sides and you just made yourself a humidor that is as good as my $600 humidors. Cost for this size RubberMaid....at Walmart it's about $12...at other stores like Dollar Stores, etc.
    My local grocery had the 2.5 gallon on clearance a while back. BOGO, with original price being 12.50. But I didn't think the bigun had as good a seal as the others.

I just use a disposable ziploc container. Seals great. My only worry is the lid may wear out after repeated opening and closing.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Pickle jars. just gotta wash the *** out of them. but they are free and perfect.

Aj
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Pickle jars. just gotta wash the *** out of them. but they are free and perfect.

Aj
    The ideas people come up with... (meanwhile goes to buy a jar of pickles)
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj
    Walt laughed at me for awhile... bought me a humi cause he felt bad for me... (i need to look sorry more often) but i promptly filled that up and have gone back to my jars. I will post a pic later... they work amazingly! Seriously... dont knock it till you try it.

Being able to see through the glass and inspect sticks without handling to choosing one without opening the jar is a huge plus. There also nice because it controls cigars in "batches" preventing mold outbreak or bettle spread. If you have a kitchen or a living room with the shelf that runs along the top... load that with jars of cigars and watch your herf buddies drool.

Aj
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    ShadowInTheMoon:
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj
    Walt laughed at me for awhile... bought me a humi cause he felt bad for me... (i need to look sorry more often) but i promptly filled that up and have gone back to my jars. I will post a pic later... they work amazingly! Seriously... dont knock it till you try it.

Being able to see through the glass and inspect sticks without handling to choosing one without opening the jar is a huge plus. There also nice because it controls cigars in "batches" preventing mold outbreak or bettle spread. If you have a kitchen or a living room with the shelf that runs along the top... load that with jars of cigars and watch your herf buddies drool.

Aj
    Now that's a pretty sweet idea...pickle jars. Who would'a thunk it?
    Wonder if Ball jars would work good? I don't see why they wouldn't. Wife's got a whole shelf of empty ones at home, I bet the wide mouth quart jars would work the best though. Might have to try 'em out if I ever need storage space for "overflow".

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I have used Ball canning jars in the past as a temporary storage container, but without a water pillow or similar humidification device. I was a little worried about them getting too moist.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    My first 2.5 gallon size was 3 years ago and the deal is just as good today as it was when I bought it. This is the reason why I go with RubberMaid...it's quality product. The seal is as good on this size as it is with the smallest size. Disposable ziploc containers are fine but aren't feasible if you start getting a sizable number of cigars. Ziplocs are great for travel and keeping your stock in for a short term...for long term I'd go with the RubberMaid.
  • Options
    Cigary:
    My first 2.5 gallon size was 3 years ago and the deal is just as good today as it was when I bought it. This is the reason why I go with RubberMaid...it's quality product. The seal is as good on this size as it is with the smallest size. Disposable ziploc containers are fine but aren't feasible if you start getting a sizable number of cigars. Ziplocs are great for travel and keeping your stock in for a short term...for long term I'd go with the RubberMaid.
    I should have just bought them when I saw 'em on clearance. I don't have lots of sticks compared to some, but the collection has grown over the winter. I went from filling one and a half to having two full plus a gallon ziploc bag full.

But the weather's nice and the wife had to work today, so I imagine there will be two fewer cigars in my storage today...