Home Cigar 101
Options

Newb walks into a B&M...

ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
How can you tell if your local B&M has taken good care of their merchandise? What do you look for when buying cigars at a B&M? I generally just looks for defects in the wrapper, but is there any other advice for those new to cigars that may help us avoid bad or poorly cared for product?
East Side 2015
KLMOW Badge 8/2014
Team Trident 2014

Comments

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't name this place but when you walk in the entire building is humidified. The cigars have mold and the shelves are cramped, dirty, and disorganized. It just isn't clean and the sticks look pretty bad. Not aged but old and crappy. Behind the counter is another mess.

Now head over to Outlaw or Cigar & Tabac and the humidors are spacious, clean, well organized. The old stuff appears to be aged and not moldy or disgusting. Easy to find what you want. It is night and day compared to the other place.

How are the sticks burning fresh out of the humidor? Ask and look around.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Just to add to what Jsnake said, I also kind of put them on par with restaurants since I'm going to be putting their product in my face. If it's really dirty or sloppy (not disorganized mind you, but trash or cellos laying around, that sort of thing) I'll think twice about buying and going back.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I do is try and locate the hygrometers. Some of them have little Xikars mounted here and there in the walk-in or throughout the store if it's humidified as a whole. Those B&Ms whose hygrometers I can't easily locate, I start worrying about whether they care or know what they're doing.
  • Options
    Chuck_NChuck_N Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭
    I look for a plume on the cigars. It shows they are aging well.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll usually talk to the staff(mainly because I must look suspicious and at new places they like too watch me) and see what they know. I feel if they are pretty unknowlagiable it reflects on the people that run/own the place. Also if I walk into a damp humi that's really warm I usually just walk right out since beetles could really screw your day up
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    cubbychubbycubbychubby Posts: 29
    Chuck N:
    I look for a plume on the cigars. It shows they are aging well.
    Yeah. Best ones look and smell like blue cheese. Yum!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    One thing I do is try and locate the hygrometers. Some of them have little Xikars mounted here and there in the walk-in or throughout the store if it's humidified as a whole. Those B&Ms whose hygrometers I can't easily locate, I start worrying about whether they care or know what they're doing.
    This.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain