Home Non Cigar Related

The birds need help too.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
With 3 inches of ice under the snow there is slim pickens for the birds so we set up some feeding areas (on top of our usual ones) and it took the blink of an eye for 100s of birds came to feed. Sorry for the quality of the photo.

Comments

• PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    lookin' good jd!
  • flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Thats awesome, put my bird feeders to shame! Nice job!!
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job. Awesome cannon btw.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you got a whole mess of grackel or crows there!! Not my favorites, but better than nothing....hard to tell from that distance though.

I do see that beautiful cardinal in the bottom right, spotted one in our yard the other day too. Love our cardinals...
    Also saw our red-tailed hawk gliding high above the house over the weekend.
    Can't wait for warmer temps and all the birds to return.

Lookin' good JD

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suet blocks. That's what they need in this kind of weather. Fat fat fat.

We visited a state park nature center in Indiana which had a dark room on the north side, with witness glass and a broad stone window sill. Seeds strewn on the sill. Terrific idea. came home, first thing I did was replace the garage window with that same type witness glass, mirror outside, see-thru inside. Them birdies come right up to the window two inches from your face. The cardinals get in heated discussions with the bird in the mirror.

Don't do this on the south side. You'll fry your neighbors' eyeballs.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Suet blocks. That's what they need in this kind of weather. Fat fat fat.

We visited a state park nature center in Indiana which had a dark room on the north side, with witness glass and a broad stone window sill. Seeds strewn on the sill. Terrific idea. came home, first thing I did was replace the garage window with that same type witness glass, mirror outside, see-thru inside. Them birdies come right up to the window two inches from your face. The cardinals get in heated discussions with the bird in the mirror.

Don't do this on the south side. You'll fry your neighbors' eyeballs.

There's several parks in IN with this arrangement for wildlife viewing. I've always thought I'd love to do it if I had the right property. Very cool you ran with it.

Concerning the OP, I tried to get a similar picture, but couldn't get the right angle from out my door, and they all flew off when I opened it. Probably the same number of birds on far less property. I thought I was in a Hitchcock film.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I always take care of the birds, they need all the help they can get when there is so much snow cover....
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My hat is off to all you guys who watch out for the birds.

We have feeders all year long and a lot of them. The ones I enjoy the most are the hummingbird feeders because those little critters are smart. They will actually tap at the window to let you know that the nectar needs filling. They have even woke me while I was on the porch for the same reason. There is one very territorial male that forced us to add and separate the feeders. Birds are just plain fun.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to snap a few pictures of our hawk yesterday with my phone.
    (Circled in red so it's easier to see.) image

CLICK HERE for more pics.
    I took the pics with my phone so they're not the best.....

We saw a very similar looking bird last year and my wife and I were 99% sure it was a red-tailed hawk. The one I saw yesterday though was a bit smaller so I'm thinking it's a juvenile because the pattern on it's wings was the same as the hawk we saw last year, and it looked just like the "juvenile red-tailed hawk" images I found on Google.
    I need to snap some better pics or try to get video of it this summer.

But oh man, you guys probably think I'm crazy....but it was so cool.
    I watched it dive bomb a group of mourning doves in our neighbors yard then it flew right above my head as it gained altitude and headed towards the open space (parking lot/field) across the street and avoided the houses/garage/trees that were between the doves and the open space.

Wish I could have got a close up shot as it flew above me....I'm not even kidding when I say that I could have stuck my arm up and touched it....it was that close to me. It was the coolest thing.....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a new bird visiting our yard. Haven't seen this kind before. Maybe one of you guys can give me a clue so I can look it up.

I've regularly got robins, finches, jays, blackbirds, and hummers. This new one has a crested head like a Jay but it's smaller - just a bit bigger than a finch - and a dusky grey/black in color.

I forgot, we also get mockingbirds and juncos around here. This new one is colored something like a junco except the junco's head is blacker than the rest of its grey body. This new ones head is the same grey/black as the rest of it's back.

Anybody got an idea what they might be?

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone needs help giving shelter to our winged friend lmk... Housing homeless birds since 2013.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Got a new bird visiting our yard. Haven't seen this kind before. Maybe one of you guys can give me a clue so I can look it up.

I've regularly got robins, finches, jays, blackbirds, and hummers. This new one has a crested head like a Jay but it's smaller - just a bit bigger than a finch - and a dusky grey/black in color.

I forgot, we also get mockingbirds and juncos around here. This new one is colored something like a junco except the junco's head is blacker than the rest of its grey body. This new ones head is the same grey/black as the rest of it's back.

Might it be a tufted titmouse? They have a crest like a bluejay but they're smaller. Heads and bodies are gray, with white underbellies. Near in size to finches. Except they're not native to the west coast as far I know but maybe our winter drove 'em west.

Other suggestion might be a slate-colored dark-eyed junco, which are a bit more uniform in upper coloring and the head looks a little more jay-like than the regular dark-eyes junco.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    jlmarta:

Might it be a tufted titmouse? They have a crest like a bluejay but they're smaller. Heads and bodies are gray, with white underbellies. Near in size to finches. Except they're not native to the west coast as far I know but maybe our winter drove 'em west.

Other suggestion might be a slate-colored dark-eyed junco, which are a bit more uniform in upper coloring and the head looks a little more jay-like than the regular dark-eyes junco.

Good suggestions. According to the book, we don't have the tufted titmouse out here in California but we do have the plain titmouse. The coloring on the ones I'm seeing in my yard, though, shows less of a white *** than what the book shows. The ones in my yard are colored more like the dark-eyed junco but have the crested head feathers that the junco lacks. I dunno. I think you're pretty darned close... Thanks for the input... ??

(Can you believe this stupid HTML crappy format censored out the word 'b r e a s t' above but didn't bother with the **** mouse?)

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm housesitting/dogsitting and feeding the birds for some friends this week. Lots of finches, bluebirds, cardinals, and some other amazing birds I don't know, yet. I tried to snap a pic of a beautiful oriole, but the phone wouldn't focus in time.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Cardinals and Morning Doves everywhere. And of course the requisite black birds. Still waiting for the little birds to make an appearance. Sure wish they liked ticks.
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the best bird house I've ever seen

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We keep suet ,sunflower,and thistle feeders full. So far this spring we got Towhee's,Titmice, Red Belly and Red Crested Woodpeckers, Cardinals,Doves, Robins,Thrushes,Goldfinchs, Wild Turkeys, Crows, and a few more. The Grey Squirrels were climbing the steel post up the suet block so I gave the post a good heavy coat of petroleum jelly and we had fun watching them get half way up and slide down.
    Every year we pick up a new not seen before bird. The chickens and birds seem to get along, albeit the chickens get what we put or falls on the ground. Gotta stand back when I start tossing meals worms around.
    I am going to move the humming bird feeders to my bedroom windows and add some of the witness glass so I can watch them all day. 
    A little off topic. A meal worm does not stand a chance around a hedgehog. Just one big slurping sound and it is over.
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep a feeder and a suet block out year round.....I just keep the cats well fed and all's good.
    To your side note: I've always wanted a hedgehog, but with numerous dogs and cats around it's probably not a good idea.  
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of folks put suet feeders out for those cute little quail that roam around the desert,  was considering it until I saw a night vision trail cam on one of those feeders at night. First the rats came out to clean up and then the rattlesnake cleaned up the rats, such is the cycle of life in the desert. Cute little quail are on their own.
    A little dirt never hurt