Home Pipes

Churchwarden pipes

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
Has anybody had any experience with a churchwarden pipe? How do yhey compare/differ from a regular pipe?
One God, One Truth

Comments

• dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I dont know but i want one...

Aj
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    I have one from Butz Choquin. I love it, it’s a great smoke, smokes cool. They are great for sitting and relaxing, not necessarily a good style for actually doing activities that involve moving, but perfect for reading, playing video games, watching the ol' boob tube. Peterson makes a hell of a churchwarden.
    Sean, what exactly defines a churchwarden? is there a minimum stem length that decides?

Aj
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Standard churchwarden is 10-1/2 to 12 inches in length.
    Marker is correct, generally it just denotes a pipe with a long stem either bent or straight, roughly between 9-12 inches. I have seen some, that were even longer in length, but that is the gist of it. The reason they were known as churchwardens, as the story goes, is that the warden of the church would smoke these while making his rounds, the length would help keep the smoke away from his face so he'd have a clear field of vision. Of course now, these are made popular by the LOTR / Hobbit trilogy’s.
    Thread jack**

speaking of LOTR or The Hobbit, Has Anybody tried any of the "Middle Earth" Tobaccos?

Aj
    I have not, but I've heard some good things. On the film, all the guys smoked Peter Stoks. Nougat.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Thread jack**

speaking of LOTR or The Hobbit, Has Anybody tried any of the "Middle Earth" Tobaccos?

Aj
    Like the Frogmorton and Grey Havens? Inspired by LOTR, or are there others? Oh, and I keep eyeing those Churchwardens, too.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    My favorite from that bunch is Deep Hollow, talk about an awesome all Virginia blend--that and Frog on the Town.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    I love mine. Aside from the diff. Time cleaning the stem because of length and how thin the opening is at the mouth piece.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I have two, I really like them. The longer stem does help cool the smoke but only if you draw slowly as you should always do anyway. I like to take one on walks, I don't like to keep it in my teeth but a slow walk with it is very relaxing. You can buy longer pipe cleaner for them. I don't think it takes me any more time to clean than a normal pipe. 1 bristled cleaner down normally takes care of it.
    Amos Umwhat:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Thread jack**

Aj
    Like the Frogmorton and Grey Havens? Inspired by LOTR, or are there others? Oh, and I keep eyeing those Churchwardens, too.
    Like actual "Middle Earth Brand" Tobaccos... there blended by a artisnal Indie kinda guy... ive heard alot of rave reviews from some D&D/Magic style ober-nerds and it kinda picks at my intrest!

LINK : http://shop.middleearthtobacco.com/main.sc

Aj
    J.S.:
    I have two, I really like them. The longer stem does help cool the smoke but only if you draw slowly as you should always do anyway. I like to take one on walks, I don't like to keep it in my teeth but a slow walk with it is very relaxing. You can buy longer pipe cleaner for them. I don't think it takes me any more time to clean than a normal pipe. 1 bristled cleaner down normally takes care of it.
    i cant get the pipe cleaner in the mouth end, so about 3 inches has to be nasty as all get out now..have tried 4 diff pipe cleaners
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Maybe let it soak in luke warm water for a bit.
    If the pipe cleaner isn't going through and you've tried tapered cleaners and extra thing cleaners, it may be an actual defect in the stem when it was made. If you really like the pipe, it may be worth looking in to getting a new stem fitted. Check out Walker Briar works.
    deejmemixx:
    J.S.:
    i cant get the pipe cleaner in the mouth end, so about 3 inches has to be nasty as all get out now..have tried 4 diff pipe cleaners
    The water idea might help but that is something I have not tried myself. Do make sure that it is only luke warm, however. What kind of stem is it? I mean is it straight or bent and is it Lucite or vulcanite material that it is made from? Also was the pipe new when you got it or is this residue from an old estate pipe?This will help determine how best to clear the nasties out. There are some YouTube vidoes that might help too.
    J.S.:
    deejmemixx:
    J.S.:
    The water idea might help but that is something I have not tried myself. Do make sure that it is only luke warm, however. What kind of stem is it? I mean is it straight or bent and is it Lucite or vulcanite material that it is made from? Also was the pipe new when you got it or is this residue from an old estate pipe?This will help determine how best to clear the nasties out. There are some YouTube vidoes that might help too.
    it is a bent stem, it was new. Not sure on what the material. Not even sure on the brand just says italy on the bowl. It is a cream/orange color with almost tiger striping on it.
    OK, most likely it is a Lucite stem or similar acrylic type. Probaly feels hard and slick when held in your teeth unless you have already got teeth marks in it. Anyway, if so, have you ever been able to get a cleaner down it, or all the way up it? If yes, I assume that you still can get a draw on it, I mean it is not completely clogged, right?

I would start with by using a well saturated cleaner with Everclear (it needs to be very high proof stuff, not just the standard 80/100 proof you have on hand) and run it up what ever end you can get the cleaner up to the point that it sticks. Then turn the stem upside down so the cleaner is up and gravity can let the Everclear soak through. It should drip out the bottom and it will be a very dark brown no doubt. This may take some time but gently scrubbing and repeating should improve the situation.

If you have never been able to get a cleaner all the way through it, it could be a stem issue and you may have to buy a new stem. Lot's of places can make them to order but you will have to send the pipe in most likely and it will take them a few weeks. At the same time, you have want sounds like a "basket pipe" so you probably don't have a lot of money in it. A stem would run around 25 since it is a longer stem maybe a little more shipping and all should be close to 35 at a best guess. That might be about what you have in it. If so you could always just buy a new pipe.
    if its really bad, and you really like it... do this: Soak the stem clean, in the everclear like stated above. Then gently run a 3/32" drill bit though the mouth piece, then from the pipe end. proceed extremly slowly if it is a bent stem.

Aj
    dr_frankenstein56:
    if its really bad, and you really like it... do this: Soak the stem clean, in the everclear like stated above. Then gently run a 3/32" drill bit though the mouth piece, then from the pipe end. proceed extremly slowly if it is a bent stem.

Aj
    The soak would be the next step if the cleaner option did not work, assumng that at some point a cleaner was able to get through it. If you do this, you should place Vaseline or some other petroleum based product over any stamp, imprint, etc. Be aware that if the stem is not Lucite you may have to buff it a little.

the drill option can work but with a bent stem it is most likely to make a whole in the stem itself. A better option here would be a shank brush up through the stem or even a little electrical wire if you don't have a shank brush handy.
    Well I ended up using hot water running through it and used a small zip tie that was thin enough to make the bend and I can now clean it. Only thing that sucks is such a narrow bend I will have to this often
    So you can get a pipe cleaner through it now or just the zip tie? If a cleaner can get through it you should be okay as along as you clean it after every use.
  • naomi12naomi12 Posts: 8
    My friend do have one of those i guess. Let me come back to you with exact information
    J.S.:
    So you can get a pipe cleaner through it now or just the zip tie? If a cleaner can get through it you should be okay as along as you clean it after every use.
    never been able too. The slight bend it has is to narrow to get anything through it. image
    That is odd. It looks like it is a 1/4 bend (or less) to me from what I can see. I have a full bend and no difficulties. You may just have a bad stem but as long as it can be cleaned I would not try to correct it.