Home Cigar 101

Humidor care

Hi just looking to the people who know for an education. Since I live in a lo humidity state, how often should I season my humidor? I appreciate the assistance..

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if your humidor maintains humidity then in theory this shouldnt be an issue. however, if it is an issue, then the answer is as many times as it takes.

if it is more than once a year, i would consider drastic measures, like a new humidor, going to plastic, etc.
  • Gino101Gino101 Posts: 26
    ok Thanks
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    I have seasoned my humi once in 2 years... if you get it holding right and stay on top of the maintenece then its not a bad deal. But I know what your dealing with, I actually run my humi hard at 72% not for the cigars, but for the wood in the box. your cigars will actually settle right around 67% while the extra humidity is needed to keep the wood swelled and because our extreme dryness is always wicking hard at that wood.

Aj
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm convinced it's all about the seal. If it seals well and you maintain it,.....you don't need to reseason it. Besides coolidors, I've got three small 40-50 count wood desktop humis and two medium desktop humis. All cheap china made. This cold winter really showed me which of my wood humis had a good seal and which were vulnerable to the extreme low humidity. I'm looking for tupperware or cooler replacements for the worst of them. I love my wood humis but as far as what I'd recommend for a novice starting out, Tupperware for sure.