Home Non Cigar Related
Options

second anniversary

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just a reminder that next week marks the second anniversary of the week which began with our attorney general pronouncing that due process does not imply judicial process, and ended with our president arrogating to himself by executive order the right to declare marshal law in time of peace. Holder was excusing extrajudicial execution, or arrest and incommunicado imprisonment without trial sentence or term. What Obama had in mind we have yet to discover.

God Bless America.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps in honor of the moment, we could compile a list of stupid and ironic things this and other administrations have said and done. One of my favorites:

"America does not use torture."

Eric Holder responding to the Russians expressed fear that if Eric Snowden were extradited, he might be tortured.

The guffaw heard 'round the world ensued.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    That's just too easy, Amos. Obozo alone with his continuous whoppers provides an endless stream, topped by: "This will be the most transparent administration ever".

But here's a blast from the past which I read just last night, cited in the book "Lies My Teacher Told Me", which was recommended to me by a BOTL here a couple weeks ago:

"When information which properly belongs to the public is systematically withheld by those in power, the people soon become ignorant of their own affairs, distrustful of those who manage them, and -- eventually -- incapable of determining their own destinies."
    Richard M Nixon

What will end rampant fascism? I don't know. But this I can tell you: Polite apathy will not.

"When cowardice becomes a fashion its adherents are without number, and it masquerades as forbearance, reasonableness and whatnot."
    Eric Hoffer

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMAO. Good stuff. Maybe Nixon was writing a primer for future politicos? They certainly tuned in, it'd make a great motto for the NSA.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I clicked on this thread I was thinkin' it was a thread marking your second anniversary on ccom. No? Congrats anyway.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    When I clicked on this thread I was thinkin' it was a thread marking your second anniversary on ccom. No? Congrats anyway.
    Py Yiminy, I hadn't even noticed. Only 2,100 posts in two years. Better get busy.

• Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    and the 2 year anniversary of the recovery of the stock market... roll on 401k!