Home Cigar 101

Actual humidor capacity?

Hey guys! Question about the amount of cigars you can actually put into a humi and still retain a good humidity %...
I know a good "rule of thumb" is to only really fill it to 80% capacity, but is there another way to really know how many smokes you can fit into a box based on size? Also...There's 2 humis I'm looking at...one says "120 ct" and its 15x9.75x6.5 while #2 says its a "100 ct" and he dimensions are 15x10x8. A bit confusing eh?

Hope you lovely people can help me out! Hope you enjoy the upcoming holiday!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ejasenovic:
    Hey guys! Question about the amount of cigars you can actually put into a humi and still retain a good humidity %...
    I know a good "rule of thumb" is to only really fill it to 80% capacity, but is there another way to really know how many smokes you can fit into a box based on size?
    until the lid wont close...
    ejasenovic:
    Also...There's 2 humis I'm looking at...one says "120 ct" and its 15x9.75x6.5 while #2 says its a "100 ct" and he dimensions are 15x10x8. A bit confusing eh?

those capacity estimations are based off of classic Cuban sized cigars. most of these classic sizes are under 45 in ring and many of them are under 38 in ring. you can fit many more cigars in a humidor when they are a classic corona rather than the 60+ ring monstrosities that are out now.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    you're going to need a bigger humi...
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PAtoNH:
    you're going to need a bigger humi...

Da Dum
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    You see when I joined. I started with a 100ct, filled it. Got a 28qt cooler, filled it too. Now I have a 48qt cooler. GO BIGGER
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ejasenovic:
    I know a good "rule of thumb" is to only really fill it to 80% capacity, but is there another way to really know how many smokes you can fit into a box based on size? Also...There's 2 humis I'm looking at...one says "120 ct" and its 15x9.75x6.5 while #2 says its a "100 ct" and he dimensions are 15x10x8. A bit confusing eh?

Kuzi's answer is great. +1 to that.

I have a "100 ct" with very similar dimensions ....
    The most I've ever fit in it was 70-75ish (majority of 52-54 RG robustos or toros). And that was after I removed the top tray and bottom dividers.
    The humi was definitely "full" at that point ---- if I'd have added any more cigars they'd have fallen out when I opened the lid.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New Boots:
    You see when I joined. I started with a 100ct, filled it. Got a 28qt cooler, filled it too. Now I have a 48qt cooler. GO BIGGER
    Are you still using that 28qt for cigars or just for beer now? LOL It's a badass cooler either way.
  • New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    New Boots:
    Are you still using that 28qt for cigars or just for beer now? LOL It's a badass cooler either way.
    I'm in the process of moving into the 48. I'm keeping the 24 handy, so if (when) I'm going to be gone for a while, I can put my humi contents in there, and seal it up. Then tell the wife to just leave the coolers alone, and the sticks will be ok,
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    If you organize your cigars well you can really cram 'em in. You DO want to leave a little air space so they can breath but that pretty much happens anyway just by having different sizes in there. Back when I used to use 100 counts I could get just over 100 in there, plus humidification beads and cigars of different sizes. You just need a type A personality.