Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Comedy Bits...

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Sometimes you just need something silly to laugh at. Here's a clip from one of my favorite comedians, Tim Hawkins, on aging musicians...

Feel free to post stuff you think is funny...
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    This guy is hilarious, but definitely not for everyone.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    This guy is hilarious, but definitely not for everyone.

You're absolutely right. He isn't for everyone. Particularly this oldfart.... (Me). I saw not a damned thing funny about the guy. Seems like nowadays all a person has to do is dream up some sort of stupid dialogue, lace it liberally with the "F" word or references to bodily functions, and instant success as a comic is practically guaranteed.

Don't get me wrong - I use the "F" word myself. I'm an ex-Navy, retired construction stiff. I'm no prude, by a long shot, but when a population begins to believe that downright, out-and-out vulgarity and nastiness is a direct and acceptable replacement for plain, good-old humor for the sake of humor then I believe we have a problem. End of rant.

you may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.... Lol
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We lost one of the truly great ones recently.
    R.I.P. David Brenner
    Born Feb 4th 1936. Lived to March 15th 2014.
    Lots of laughs in between.

David Brenner on Seduction
    Dr. Ruth said if you want to be a better lover, what you should is when you get in bed with your woman, before you do anything else, you should recite an erotic poem to her. Now let me ask you something. Is there one man here who knows an erotic poem that doesn’t have the word “Nantucket” in it?
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    We lost one of the truly great ones recently.
    R.I.P. David Brenner
    Born Feb 4th 1936. Lived to March 15th 2014.
    Lots of laughs in between.

David Brenner on Seduction
    Dr. Ruth said if you want to be a better lover, what you should is when you get in bed with your woman, before you do anything else, you should recite an erotic poem to her. Now let me ask you something. Is there one man here who knows an erotic poem that doesn’t have the word “Nantucket” in it?
    First appearance on network television...

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    PAtoNHPAtoNH Posts: 429
    Top 'o the mornin' to ya...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As8quxqkVpE
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blutattoo:
    I saw not a damned thing funny about the guy. Seems like nowadays all a person has to do is dream up some sort of stupid dialogue, lace it liberally with the "F" word or references to bodily functions, and instant success as a comic is practically guaranteed.
    There are two kinds of jokes: Clean and Funny.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    blutattoo:
    I saw not a damned thing funny about the guy. Seems like nowadays all a person has to do is dream up some sort of stupid dialogue, lace it liberally with the "F" word or references to bodily functions, and instant success as a comic is practically guaranteed.
    There are two kinds of jokes: Clean and Funny.

I'm assuming you meant that facetiously. I like to think that intelligent people are above the level of so-called 'standup comics' who are forced to resort to shock and filth when they're unable to generate humor. A good example of that would be Richard Pryor at the point in his career when he became exquisitely un-funny after being one of the funniest humans around. He just lost it. After a while, he discovered the shock value of hitting his audience in the face with the "F" word and with derogatory black jokes. His audience, not knowing how to react to this strange new kind of dialogue, tittered nervously at first. Others interpreted the tittering as laughter and a new mind-set regarding humor was born.

No one is saying it has to be clean to be funny but where is it written that "Disgusting" equals "Funny"??
  • Options
    We live in vulgar times.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost:
    We live in vulgar times.

Well, if you're serious (and you seem to be) then I'm sorry for you. I don't know how to improve your outlook on life......
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An absolute classic:
    George Carlin - Seven Dirty Words

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    George Carlin is a great example of a guy who could do both clean comedy and blue comedy. For most of his career he was one of the best at telling stories funny. Not simply telling funny stories. He actually told stories funny. I remember having one of his albums. I remember admiring the brilliance of his delivery and his voice characterizations. The album even contained the seven dirty words bit. It wasn't just vulgar words but it was a story of vulgar words told very funny.

But then, unfortunately, he rotted somehow. Kinda' like an old piece of fruit that you let stay around for too long. In the end was bitter, vile and angry. Even though he made an honest attempt to express these nasty thoughts in a funny way, I just considered him rotted. Even though plenty of people loved to listen to his nasty rants from late in his career, I don't seem to remember much actual laughter at that point. Mostly there were just cheers in accordance to his angry rants of who and what annoyed him and the vile retribution he wished upon his annoyances. Even if they were children. Or,........ even if they were cigar enthusiasts. That's right, look it up.
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    webmost:
    We live in vulgar times.

Well, if you're serious (and you seem to be) then I'm sorry for you. I don't know how to improve your outlook on life......
    Delusion improves your outlook, but life remains the same.

Once we have smashed the last icon, what will we have left left to sell?

Here's a funny guy who loved cigars:

• Options
  • Options
    Clean --- and funny as can be

• Options
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    I loved Mitch. His delivery was just awesome.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Puff_Dougie:
    I loved Mitch. His delivery was just awesome.
    I saw him live 3 times. I miss this guy
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Checking out Kevin Hart at Kent State (my alma mater) tonight. Show sold out in 15 min. So pumped to see him. Got the student rate on tix too!
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    The seats weren't great (can't complain for $25!), but he did all new material for his special coming out this summer called "What Now?" Dude is hilarious.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    when were you at kent? i went there too.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    when were you at kent? i went there too.
    I graduated in 2011. I hadn't been back to visit for a while. The place has really grown up a lot from even a few years ago.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ah... my last year there was 2001
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    ah... my last year there was 2001
    Geez did they even have computers back then?
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    These two were so great together and it was always hilarious seeing Harvey break up even sometimes from Tim just looking at him lmao.

Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
  • Options
    bbass2:
    LMFAO