Home General Discussion
Options

Ethics question

I have a situation where ethics are in questions. Let me give you a little back story.

Allow me to give you some back-story.

There is a local smoking ordinance preventing smoking in just about any public building. I am also an Admin for a local Cigar group on Facebook. Many of the B&M shop owners are members and the group promotes supporting them. The problem I am having is there is a shop that is telling its customers that they are allowed to smoke at one of their locations because it is a “Warehouse” or “Private Office”, however if you read the ordinance it says plainly that this does not fit the exception and the customers themselves, the employee working, the owner of the business, and the owner of the building can all be fined if caught. I have participated in many of the events at this location with the assumption that the owners wouldn’t put me at risk of being fined, However, after finding out the truth I am to afraid to return (at least smoking, I still stop by time to time to purchase and leave). The last thing I want is a fine that starts at $50 per offence. Then there is also a local Cigar Society that is trying to do the same thing. Tell potential new member that they can buy into the “Members Only” club at $500 a year and have access to their clubhouse to smoke. Even though the ordinance even has in the wording that “Private Clubs” are included and can be shut down and each person caught getting a fine.

As an Admin I feel obligated to inform the other members that they are in danger of being fined even thou they are not aware of it. I don’t want to come off as a snitch, however if it was me I would want to know.

If you were in the same situation how would you handle it?

Comments

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Would you consider reaching out to the owners before the general membership? Maybe they know people and know it won't happen. Maybe they're planning to pay fines with those $500 fees. Who knows? Get the full story.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Would you consider reaching out to the owners before the general membership? Maybe they know people and know it won't happen. Maybe they're planning to pay fines with those $500 fees. Who knows? Get the full story.
    Yup, get a copy of the ordnance, and approach the club. Ken may be on to something. $500/ea is quite a bit, for a cigar lounge. However, if the club is willing to fork over the cash, to shoo away the "law" then...there ya go.
  • Options
    New Boots:
    Ken Light:
    Yup, get a copy of the ordnance, and approach the club. Ken may be on to something. $500/ea is quite a bit, for a cigar lounge. However, if the club is willing to fork over the cash, to shoo away the "law" then...there ya go.
    Hahaha, I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything about bribes...only implied they might have the right friends...
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    New Boots:
    Ken Light:
    Hahaha, I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything about bribes...only implied they might have the right friends...
    LOL, I didn't mean bribes. Guess I worded that wrong. I meant the $500 is in place, to take care of any fines incurred, while you are using the facility.
  • Options
    curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    I have asked them. They claim they are allowed to because it is a private club and are members only. However, this is from the ordinances website.

"Smoke-free law is in effect, bringing major health improvements to the community. The new law prohibits smoking in public buildings and workplaces in Louisville Metro, including such places as:• Offices• Factories• Bars• Restaurants• Private Clubs• Bingo halls• Bowling alleys• Stores"

Personally, I now know the law and will follow it even thou I don't agree with it. I just think it is a shame they are telling the members that they have nothing to worry about. Being one of the admins I also don't wasn't to start an argument on the internet, they tend get out of hand.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any "big mouths" in the group? Casually mention it and let them get the word out. You aren't the bad guy then and then word still gets out.
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Sounds like not enough info esp. when any business needs a license to operate and in order to know what that is one will need to make a trip to city hall and find out. A fine usually comes with something being reported and then investigated. I knew of a place in a small town in Massachusettes where the place got raided at the busiest time of day to maximize the fines. Even a quick call to City Hall can clear this up.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why in the world would a private club not be allowed to let its members smoke? "Private", not public, the ordinance should not apply. Or, not in a FREE country, anyway. Just my opinion.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    Why in the world would a private club not be allowed to let its members smoke? "Private", not public, the ordinance should not apply. Or, not in a FREE country, anyway. Just my opinion.
    Free country! WHERE?!?!?
  • Options
    New Boots:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Free country! WHERE?!?!?
    Well, used to be, or, at least some of us thought so.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    curtiscr79:
    I have asked them. They claim they are allowed to because it is a private club and are members only. However, this is from the ordinances website.

"Smoke-free law is in effect, bringing major health improvements to the community. The new law prohibits smoking in public buildings and workplaces in Louisville Metro, including such places as:• Offices• Factories• Bars• Restaurants• Private Clubs• Bingo halls• Bowling alleys• Stores"

Personally, I now know the law and will follow it even thou I don't agree with it. I just think it is a shame they are telling the members that they have nothing to worry about. Being one of the admins I also don't wasn't to start an argument on the internet, they tend get out of hand.
    1) I know all about internet arguments getting out of hand! LoL

2) "Public Private Clubs" is and should remain an oxymoron

3) But despite our best intentions and ideals, the law is often not what's on the books, but what's enforced.

My final opinion? I don't think you have an ethical dilemma at all. The ethics here are clear and those that put their members at risk are the ones on the wrong side. What you have here is an administrative dilemma; what direction should this online community go in: one that will support it's members' best interests when they conflict with those of business owners, or vice versa. That's not something I can help with, it's a personal choice.
  • Options
    This is a shame. Once again, what's right, and what's legal are not the same thing. Sigh.....

• Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    New Boots:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Free country! WHERE?!?!?
    Well, used to be, or, at least some of us thought so.
    Used to be, and could be again....but....yeah, we won't get into that
  • Options
    blutattooblutattoo Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Jeez louise, I thought CA was bad about smoking in public. Although it would seem a clubhouse would be excluded from the public location, you'd probably have to sue and get a judgement to get that language removed. Until that time, fair or not, you'd probably still be subject to the fine. You could just post that language from the new ordinance and emphasis those categories listed in the ordinance on your groups Facebook page. That way people have the information and they can do with it what they want. Who knows it may spark some action from your group to approach your city council about a clarification to exclude cigar clubs or lounges.
  • Options
    curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    I guess I need to put it to a vote of the admins. Even though this might burn a couple bridges it may need to be done.

Thanks for all of your advice.
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    This is a shame. Once again, what's right, and what's legal are not the same thing. Sigh.....
    Right, I mean what's most wrong is the law, but that's kind of a moot point.
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Looks like black letter law to me, not really any gray area. I'd suggest you use your group to organize and ask for an amendment to the ordinance to omit the private club reference. I doubt it will work but that's your only real avenue.
  • Options
    prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    curtiscr79:

Actually, I see quite a bit of gray area here. The first sentence clearly specifies public buildings and workplaces. The bylaw can easily be construed to only regulate those private clubs that occupy publicly accessible buildings, or buildings with public common areas.

A "private club" within a public business (B&M) would likely be regulated, however you need to view your town or county bylaw for the definition of a building. (believe it or not, it is not always as obvious as it sounds)

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with casually dropping some questions to people in the group. Up here in PA its really only banned where food is served. Seems like a strict law, but not worth 500 for a cigar. I would ask some members if they have read the law and what they think in conversation. It is bound to peak someone's attention and get it rolling.
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Not a lawyer here, but it seems that the whole legality issues depends on the definition of "public buildings and workplaces." This suggests that the law only applies to any place where the general public is allowed to congregate and/or where people are employed.

But what about a local VFW building that's privately owned and rented out for a meeting of a members-only smoking club? If no employee is actually working there at the time of the event, then technically is this really a workplace or public building?

I would think that the cigar B&M doesn't have strong of a case about the legality, since the warehouse is technically a workplace. I would think that the location would have to be completely privately owned, access would be limited to a select group (i.e., no walk ins) and no one could "technically" be working during the event--i.e., no bartenders, no one picking up ash trays, or at least for pay.

On the other hand, I would imagine each community would choose how it enforces the rules, so you might just want to play it safe and not go to any events. Even if your fine is covered by the cost of membership, the fine is still on your permanent record.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I think the first thing I'd do is make absolutely sure I was right. I mean 100%, bet your life on it right. Are you that sure? Do you have anyone you can talk to that knows about this kind of thing that isn't connected to these issues?

The next thing I'd do is look at what an "Admin" is supposed to be. I'm sensing that you feel like you should say something because you're an Admin. Would you feel compelled if you were just a member? Do you want to keep a position of Authority (if that's what it is) within a group that practices this kind of behavior? Is there even any bad behavior? Are they even aware? Lot's of stuff needs to be asked, and explored before I would decide what to do.